2019 Ranger MPGs

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I have just over 14K miles and have adjusted the settings of the mileage computer to get my manual checks a little closer what the truck says. Pretty much got it the same now. My mpg from day one is now averaging 24.5 mpg. That's all driving/towing combined. The tank this morning was a shade over the manual calculation of 25.9 and showed 26.2 on the truck. Very happy with the fuel economy for winter driving here in the deep south. I hardly ever use Sport Mode except for merging on short interstate ramps in busy traffic when required.

I did see 30 mpg on one tank, but that was early on and well before I started tweaking the computer. Happy New Year all! :)
Sponsored

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
It's all about driving style. I get 21-22mpg 87 or 91. I do drive it like a sports car at times. Deifinitely not the advertised mpg.

Last edited:

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
20.8 mpg filling up this morning, all city miles.

cclayton

First Name
Collin Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have a little over 500 miles on the truck and have been getting 18.8 MPG using 87 Octane. I work in the city so this is 90% city driving to and from work.
I’m averaging about the same with 750 miles on the truck. Hoping to see better numbers as I get higher mileage. My 2017 Ram 1500 with a hemi was getting better mpg o_O

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I filled mine up today for the first time.....It went in real easy. :brokenheart: I was running on the dealer tank from Dec.27th when I bought the truck. It had a few minutes at idling at the dealer and about 10 miles of interstate and the rest was mostly rural mixed..There was a few miles of holding rpms and letting it slow down and speed up in gear say like 4th...No full pulls or red-lines and I did not hyper mile at all. I just drove it 90 percent of my normal driving style...My results were 348.4 miles on 15.8 gallons for a 22 mpg. The truck said I got 23.3. So I was right on the number in cool weather and I started with 15 miles on the truck. Stop/start was off all the time except a couple times and I started it right up...and no warm ups at all on the truck

I'm pleased with the results..and curious if it can back it up....My Canyon would see about 19.5 on that same style driving and track...

I've already got about a 100 miles on tank two. The fuel light came on at almost a full quarter tank on the gauge which surprised me a little. That is more early than it did on the Canyon...When it came on in the Canyon you better find a station..But that made the last quarter tank seem big as opposed to small in the ranger..

I'm not sure if I've ever had a vehicle hit the number on the first tank...:sunglasses:

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
21.7 today.. sport mode only..
Regards and Happy New Year !

Flapilot

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Did a little experimenting today on my 100 mile interstate drive In florida(read flat)

RWD, 500 miles on truck so still breaking it in.

cruise control on
80 mph - 21 mpg
70 mph - 25 mpg
60 mph - 31 mpg!!

Numbers will only get better. Maybe I should slow down a little too...

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Did a little experimenting today on my 100 mile interstate drive In florida(read flat)

RWD, 500 miles on truck so still breaking it in.

cruise control on
80 mph - 21 mpg
70 mph - 25 mpg
60 mph - 31 mpg!!

Numbers will only get better. Maybe I should slow down a little too...
Most likely it's related to engine RPM and not actual speed.
Engine Eff, especially w/ forced air, will have a distinct max Eff based on the engine components used (cam, stroke, type of forced air, etc).
In other words, your engine is running way more efficient at your 60mph RPM vs your 80mph RPM.

To prove it you need to do same trip (miles) at say 50,40,30,20mph.

Flapilot

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Most likely it's related to engine RPM and not actual speed.
Engine Eff, especially w/ forced air, will have a distinct max Eff based on the engine components used (cam, stroke, type of forced air, etc).
In other words, your engine is running way more efficient at your 60mph RPM vs your 80mph RPM.

To prove it you need to do same trip (miles) at say 50,40,30,20mph.
For sure 60 just seems to be the sweet spot. Driving around town at 50 and 40 doesn’t produce the same mpg.

just based on memory I want to say 50 mph was closer to 27-28 mpg. I’ll have to test later.

Reactions: Doc

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
For sure 60 just seems to be the sweet spot. Driving around town at 50 and 40 doesn’t produce the same mpg.

just based on memory I want to say 50 mph was closer to 27-28 mpg. I’ll have to test later.
But your 80/70/60mph MPG's was on a 100mi flat drive on hwy, yes?
You kinda have to do the same hwy and 100mi to compare, etc.

The next best thing would be a "dyno" setup where wheel load would be indicative of the vehicle drag at speed. Recall that wind drag has V^2 in it, but you can normalize the results knowing this.

Flapilot

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
But your 80/70/60mph MPG's was on a 100mi flat drive on hwy, yes?
You kinda have to do the same hwy and 100mi to compare, etc.

The next best thing would be a "dyno" setup where wheel load would be indicative of the vehicle drag at speed. Recall that wind drag has V^2 in it, but you can normalize the results knowing this.
I was just playing around with the instant gauge on my 100 mile drive. I didn’t drive each MPH for 100 miles.

Speed up to 80 and test the mpg for a few mins on I 75. Slowed to 70 on I4 for a few mins. Slowed to 60 on 417.

This was not a scientific study. My 50/40 comments were just from driving around my back roads and paying attention to the gauge.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

Your results fit with physics. Wind resistance rises proportionally to the square of speed. Therefore the wind resistance at 80 mph is ~31% higher than it is at 70 mph, and at 60 mph it is ~27% lower than it is at 70 mph. In fact, since you observed 25 mpg at 70 mph, if the change in wind resistance was the only determinant of changes to fuel efficiency with changes in speed, simple math says that at 80 mph you should expect 19.1 mpg. That's not far off from your observation at all!

stevensc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 XLT
Occupation
Retired seller of Sugar Cane Equipment
I have now about 3500 miles on my 2wd supercab, pencil and paper average MPG is 24.97
the computer shows 26. I have been using only 87 octane from Walmart. Probably 25% town and 75% rural roads & highway,
I drive easy on the gas.
This is flat land, and very little A/C has been required since purchased in early November, and a mild winter, so far little heating .
No boat trailer towing yet either.
It will be interesting to see what effect Air conditioning has on MPG, I'll be finding out for sure come summer,
will do some new number then and post the results.
So far I am surprised and happy with the MPG.
Steve W

Last edited:

AirborneRanger

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Cobra SCJ, 19 Ranger FX4
Occupation
11B4V
Relocated from Georgia to Washington state over Christmas towing 7250 lb trailer(had trailer weighed), 2 adults and 2 kids:

Columbus GA-Vicksburg MS 400 miles @ 65mph using sway control on mostly flat/rolling hill highways = 12.2 mpg with 93 octane

Vicksburg MS-Witchita Falls TX .500 miles @ 75mph using sway control on mostly rolling hills =9.7 mpg with 87 octane

Witchita Falls TX-Pueblo CO. 540 miles @60 mph using sway control with long 6% grade hills (rockies) 13.2 mpg with 90 octane

Pueblos CO-Casper WY 395 miles @ 60 mph using sway control. And cruise control, some 6 percent grades with mostly rolling hills 11.8 mpg with 90 octane

Casper WY-Missoula MT. 650 miles at 60 mph using sway control and cruis control. Some 6% grades and lots of slow rolling hills = 11.3 mpg with 90 octane

Missoula MT-Snohomish WA. 515 miles at 55 mph using sway control. Multiple 6% grades, tall sloping hills, slush and ice = 12.2 mpg with 90 octane

Overall distance: 3000 miles on the money
average mpg : 11.733
average speed 61.666
Combined octane: 90.

Not bad for 250 shy of max tow. I showed best mpg in the Rockies because I was able to coast down hill for quite a long time. Sway control keeps the transmission in a lower gear. Sway control and cruise control together keeps it in a (higher) normal gear. For example if I am in sway control doing 60 mph i will be in 8th gear. But if I set cruise control on while sway control is on I will be in 9th gear. Merging onto highways I found out that in sway control the transmission will hold on to 4th gear (or is it 3rd gear) for a very long time (up to 5500 rpm) I DID NOT LIKE THIS. All the other gears held on anywhere between 4000-4800 rpm. Engine braking on the 6% grades was excellent. Not sure if the computer senses the angle along with speed and brake input but it works soo damn good. Prior to starting my trip I was afraid I would burn up all 8 Brakes (truck and trailer) because of all the 6% grades we would go through. Nope not a single issue, just need to do an oil change and I should be good to go!

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Just completed a 280 mile round trip. My truck now has 1200 miles on it. The trip was 90% freeway averaging 72-77mph and since I’m in Michigan mostly flat.
My mileage was 20.5......hoping it gets just a bit better.
Sponsored