Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
2/2019 build date, 4k miles

Cruising along on the interstate warnings go off for collision avoidance disabled. Engine light and the wrench light both illuminated. Low power mode activates; low engine power state that is not just power but also rough and shudders to shift. Didn't overheat or anything and idles smooth.

Called Ford Customer Care, they seemed alarmed but said check the manual and take it to a dealer, the most help was informing me of the tail light recall is also just posted. Nearest dealer doesn't care and can't get me in until late Monday, can't give me a loaner or even a ride home to drop it off today.

Ford Pass app says low power mode means the vehicle doesn't need to be towed so I drove it that way 100+ miles on the interstate in bad weather to get it home. Restarting temporarily clears the errors but they all quickly come back. Noticeable hot vacuum cleaner smell upon arrival.

Needless to say I'm not thrilled!

Screenshot_20191129-163445_FordPass.jpg
Sponsored

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Yikes. That's not good. Hope it turns out to be something simple.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes. That's not good. Hope it turns out to be something simple.
Hi Fusseli,

Sure sounds like you have an electrical connector that is not fully seated. Hopefully the Dealer can resolve quickly!
Good luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the blower motor recall issue is what you are smelling.. and that the electrical issue is related?

More here -------> https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...vac-blower-motor-issue.4727/page-6#post-82707
The smell was outside the truck when we got out, more like hot metal and less like burning or electrical. Could have been unrelated or a coincidence, but the wife smelled it too.

Pretty bummed at the moment, it was the Ranger's first 1500 mile road trip. Bad weather and its time to shine, and the worst time to break down. Glad is was limp mode and not stranded otherwise it coulda been a lot worse. Now it also sucks to be truckless for the weekend with some friends in town, then to limp it to work Monday just so I can limp it to the dealer later in the day. Bah!

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure the check engine blinked a few times, which is different than solid on. Blink means engine is misfiring apparently. All of the app and manual guidance it's surprisingly confusing on what to do, it runs so it doesn't need a tow yet my spidey sense says don't drive it like this.

Screenshot_20191130-081035_FordPass.jpg

HotPepperRedRanger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2015 Ford Edge 2012 Toyota Camry
My wife’s Edge, with under 3,000 miles had a similar issue, my initial phone call was met with similar results but luckily I was within 15 miles of the house. Each time the warnings and limp mode activated I pulled over shut it down, waited a couple of minutes restarted and would get a couple miles before it all happened again. Got home called a different dealer who sent a tow truck within the hour (Saturday afternoon). Later that afternoon service department called and said it was a faulty throttle assembly or connection and it would be ready Monday after 12:00. No issues since then, hopefully you will have the same luck.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
OP, I hope you get it all sorted out. That sucks when you can't trust that the truck will get you wherever you are headed.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
The main code is a P061B, ICM torque calculation failure, which was not in the service guy's TSB and common codes list. Looking it up online it sounds like it could be throttle body related.... TBD

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
2/2019 build date, 4k miles

Cruising along on the interstate warnings go off for collision avoidance disabled. Engine light and the wrench light both illuminated. Low power mode activates; low engine power state that is not just power but also rough and shudders to shift. Didn't overheat or anything and idles smooth.

Called Ford Customer Care, they seemed alarmed but said check the manual and take it to a dealer, the most help was informing me of the tail light recall is also just posted. Nearest dealer doesn't care and can't get me in until late Monday, can't give me a loaner or even a ride home to drop it off today.

Ford Pass app says low power mode means the vehicle doesn't need to be towed so I drove it that way 100+ miles on the interstate in bad weather to get it home. Restarting temporarily clears the errors but they all quickly come back. Noticeable hot vacuum cleaner smell upon arrival.

Needless to say I'm not thrilled!

Screenshot_20191129-163445_FordPass.jpg
Our Ranger did almost exactly the same thing yours did.

We were going home on November 13 from a camping trip towing our Tab 400. I had the cruise engaged with the trailer tow system on as well. All was going really well when we met a white 18 wheeler on this two lane road. The Pre-collision system freaks out and disables the cruise and the tow system. I also noticed a reduction in power for the remainder of the trip. The little wrench appeared on the gauge cluster with the note “See Service Manual” of which the owner does not have. After we got home and let the truck set for about 30 minutes I started it up and all is well now. Next towing adventure I will remember to shut the Pre-Collision system off which should hopefully cure this issue. I have noticed more than once that the Pre-collision system will give false alarms too. Not sure it is a good system to have.

Really like the transmission program for towing. It uses all the gears really well and will shift down to help slow the vehicle on declines, at least until the Pre-collision system freaked.

We have not experienced this fault since. I did call my dealer to see if I needed to bring it in and they said. If the little wrench is no longer on the display they would not be able to check it.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
So upon further inspection they also found a P0300 for engine misfire, which they say pointed to a TSB 19-2246 that said to update the PCM. So, new software, and they send me on my way.

I'm kinda miffed how an early build Ranger sold in 8/2019 could have missed some update and be sold to me with crippling software. All I can do is hope it doesn't do it again. Does anyone know what this TSB actually is, I can't find it anywhere.

@Jerry Caldwell that's strange. Mine happened without towing or cruise on, simply on the highway in bad weather. Pulling off and restart temporarily cleared it but the wrench and limp mode came back two or three more times, each after about 5 minutes at speed on the road again.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
So upon further inspection they also found a P0300 for engine misfire, which they say pointed to a TSB 19-2246 that said to update the PCM. So, new software, and they send me on my way.

I'm kinda miffed how an early build Ranger sold in 8/2019 could have missed some update and be sold to me with crippling software. All I can do is hope it doesn't do it again. Does anyone know what this TSB actually is, I can't find it anywhere.

@Jerry Caldwell that's strange. Mine happened without towing or cruise on, simply on the highway in bad weather. Pulling off and restart temporarily cleared it but the wrench and limp mode came back two or three more times, each after about 5 minutes at speed on the road again.
Well, when I was a fleet manager and ordered over 300+ vehicles "not FORD" direct from the factory and they were shipping all over the US there were 4 recalls/TSBs that had to be applied as soon as they arrived at the dealers due to software and transmission issues. It happens.
Sponsored