Check engine P29AB P0299, Limp mode

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Got into the ranger on Friday night to make a short trip down to the local watering hole to catch some live music, and was greeted with the wrench icon and check engine light. Fordpass said it was okay to drive vehicle but to take it to the dealership. Made the less than 3 mile trip without incident, but "reduced power mode" meant no turbo coming back up the hill (all downhill to the bar, all uphill on the way home. Felt like driving a Tacoma, slow but not terrible. Didn't seem to have a rev limit (wound it out to 6k), but I was never on a road where it was appropriate to go more than 40mph to test if speed was limited.

Today I plugged in the scanner and got codes P29AB and P0299 for turbo wastgate position sensor out of range high, and for turbo underboost. All things seem to point to this TSB:

"Some 2019-2021 Edge/Nautilus/Ranger, 2020-2021 Escape/Corsair/Explorer, and 2021 Bronco Sport vehicles equipped with a 2.0L/2.3L EcoBoost may exhibit a lack of power with an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P02AB, P0243, P0299, P1464, P25B3, P25B4, P2AB7, P2AB8 and/or P2AB9. This may be due to an inoperative wastegate actuator, missing wastegate actuator e-clip or non-visible damage to the actuator rod. A lower level service component has been released, K2GZ-9G488-B for Edge/Nautilus/Escape/Corsair/Bronco Sport vehicles and LB5Z-9G488-B for Explorer/Ranger vehicles, for service to replace the actuator, actuator rod and both e-clips. When replacing the wastegate actuator, it is important to replace all parts in the service kit. Turbocharger replacement is not necessary to correct the condition."

I'm at 34k so it should be covered under warranty, but I'm a little bummed I now have this big errand to deal with. I am very fortunate that I do not have to drive that often because I live and eat where I work, but it is still a hassle not to be able to leave when I want to. Not that I would be driving much this week anyway with 88" of snow in the 10-day forecast. I have an appointment with the dealership Monday the 2nd. Will update when I know more.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Elgorr4

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Finally was able to make it out of the mountains and drop the ranger off last friday. Dealer did some pinpoint testsand determined that the whole wastegate did need replaced. Job was done by Tuesday, no charge, all covered by the standard warranty. They completed all three recalls for the seatbelts and washed it as well. Pretty good experience but wish it wasn't such a hassle for me to get to the dealer and back. Also glad it didn't happen 2k miles from now, would have been over 36k and out of warranty.

onemanlan

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
Glad it was a simple & free fix in the end!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Finally was able to make it out of the mountains and drop the ranger off last friday. Dealer did some pinpoint testsand determined that the whole wastegate did need replaced. Job was done by Tuesday, no charge, all covered by the standard warranty. They completed all three recalls for the seatbelts and washed it as well. Pretty good experience but wish it wasn't such a hassle for me to get to the dealer and back. Also glad it didn't happen 2k miles from now, would have been over 36k and out of warranty.
I believe the turbo is considered part of the powertrain, and would still be covered under under the powertrain 5/60, with a $100 deductible, if it goes out again.
Sponsored