2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I am trying to wade through the abundance of RTT's that are now on the market and trying to figure out what is best for me.

I am wondering how many here have Roof Top Tents on their Rangers?????

I eventually want to find a bed cover, rack, and rtt that will all work with each other but for now post up your Tents if you have one on your Ranger!

I am currently REALLY liking the iKamper's, but wow.... they are pricey! The iKamper mini would fit nicely on my 5' bed as well and be more aerodynamic sitting lower and being a hardshell.

Anyone have one of the other models iKampers that are already available?????

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Cdveltri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I am trying to wade through the abundance of RTT's that are now on the market and trying to figure out what is best for me.

I am wondering how many here have Roof Top Tents on their Rangers?????
I was also looking into the IKamper

I eventually want to find a bed cover, rack, and rtt that will all work with each other but for now post up your Tents if you have one on your Ranger!

I am currently REALLY liking the iKamper's, but wow.... they are pricey! The iKamper mini would fit nicely on my 5' bed as well and be more aerodynamic sitting lower and being a hardshell.

Anyone have one of the other models iKampers that are already available?????

Thanks in advance.
I was also very interested in the iKamper until I saw the price... Roofnest just came out with a similar option called the Condor which is cheaper. I picked one of those up on sale a few weeks back, but I am still working on how I will mount it over the bed so unfortunately I don't have any pictures to share yet.

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Was really interested in the iKamper mini but just couldn't justify paying that much. I talked myself into and did order the Roofnest Condor and had to return it due to imperfections on the top shell that I just could not look past. I expect something I pay over $2k on to be perfect. I ordered another tent that is almost identical to the Roofnest. Its the same size and color, must be from the same Chinese manufacturer. I'll post up pics when I get it.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
My virtual Frontrunner RTT:)
T5xMoeq.jpg

OP
OP
2020FX4

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Was really interested in the iKamper mini but just couldn't justify paying that much. I talked myself into and did order the Roofnest Condor and had to return it due to imperfections on the top shell that I just could not look past. I expect something I pay over $2k on to be perfect. I ordered another tent that is almost identical to the Roofnest. Its the same size and color, must be from the same Chinese manufacturer. I'll post up pics when I get it.
I'm not familiar with the roofnest, but I will look it up to see what it looks like. Will the tent you got fit down low on the bed of the truck or does it need to sit up higher to clear the cab?

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
My Roofnest Eagle in action near Zion this past weekend. Some mixed feelings on it but generally pretty positive and it means we can wake up in places like this.

20200114_081937.jpg

OP
OP
2020FX4

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My Roofnest Eagle in action near Zion this past weekend. Some mixed feelings on it but generally pretty positive and it means we can wake up in places like this.

20200114_081937.jpg
What's NOT to like about this photo!

What would be your biggest issues with the Roofnest?

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
What's NOT to like about this photo!

What would be your biggest issues with the Roofnest?
I think the truly biggest issues are just RTT things in general. This is my first and it's early in my ownership so take all this with a grain of salt. It does have a noticeable effect on cabin noise and mileage at highway speeds, though this one being a hard shell much less than the soft ones or so I'm told. Also it's not the easiest to shut by 1 person but man it takes 3 seconds to set up and that is pretty great. It does make some odd cracking noises in below freezing temps and it can let moisture in/pool in the fabric folds if you're not super careful putting it away when its wet or below freezing. But it didn't let any water in when it rained or snowed so far so that's pretty great. Overall it's good with some things I'm in the "wait and see" mode on.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
WHoaaa.... That's a nice set up! Does that frontrunner model actually exist? I like how it unfolds out the back of the truck and still leaves access to the bed.
It's the only one they offer and I just can't beat the price ($1200) and dimensions (8" tall without ladder, 12" with) for being the lowest profile (aside from other $$$ hard covers) and lightest coming in at under 100lbs. This CAD model is based on their dimensions. I set it up sideways and it fits nicely on the Frontrunner racks I currently have installed, allowing it to fold out backwards:)

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not familiar with the roofnest, but I will look it up to see what it looks like. Will the tent you got fit down low on the bed of the truck or does it need to sit up higher to clear the cab?
It can fit lower than the cab height. Its roughly a 58"x48" hard shell when closed so it will fit low over your truck bed. Check out the iKamper mini or the Roofnest Condor. Same thing pretty much.

Lmood

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Here's my tent..
IMG_20191213_122942737_HDR.jpg

Currently sitting in my garage still in the box waiting on my bed rack to get here.
Freespirit high country 55 tri-layer.
I'll get it put on.... eventually....LOL
Sponsored