Do the TPMS Sensors need to be re-trained during tire rotation?

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
About to do my second oil change next week and its time for a tire rotation.

I've seen conflicting information regarding the need to re-train the TPMS in the tires. Some say the trucks knows when you've moved the tires and figures out the new locations itself. Is this true?

For those that have done their own rotation, did you need to manually re-train the system (and what tool was needed) or did your Ranger figure it out on its own.

Thanks!
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
About to do my second oil change next week and its time for a tire rotation.

I've seen conflicting information regarding the need to re-train the TPMS in the tires. Some say the trucks knows when you've moved the tires and figures out the new locations itself. Is this true?

For those that have done their own rotation, did you need to manually re-train the system (and what tool was needed) or did your Ranger figure it out on its own.

Thanks!
When I did my first oil change at a little over 8000 miles, I rotated them and the TPMS had no issues. I rotated them per the manual (not front to back, but back to front and then the fronts went to the opposite side on the rear).

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
When I did my first oil change at a little over 8000 miles, I rotated them and the TPMS had no issues. I rotated them per the manual (not front to back, but back to front and then the fronts went to the opposite side on the rear).
Thanks....and they showed up in the new corresponding areas in your monitor in the dash?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks....and they showed up in the new corresponding areas in your monitor in the dash?
I didn't check to make sure they showed up in the same place - but there are 4 tire pressures that show up. :giggle:

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't check to make sure they showed up in the same place - but there are 4 tire pressures that show up. :giggle:
Yeah, of course there are. But the FRONT are likly REARS and REARS are FRONTS with reversed sides!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The word likely means ?

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
TRAINING
Because the pressure is different for front/rear tires, the system must be trained following a tire rotation. The training procedure will let the system know where each sensor is physically located (front-left/front-right/rear-left/rear-right). There are 2 options to perform the training:

1- SENSOR TRAINING WITHOUT TOOL
Notes:

• This method requires to deflate each tire, so an air compressor is required to re-inflate them after the procedure is completed.
  • This method can’t be used to teach the system to recognize a new sensor (i.e. after buying and installing a new sensor), but it will work afterwards.

1. Drive your vehicle above 20 mph (32 km/h) for at least two minutes to activate the sensors.
2. Switch the ignition off.
3. Switch the ignition on with the engine off.
4. Turn the hazard flashers on then off three times, this must be completed within 10 seconds. If the reset mode has been entered successfully, the horn will chirp once and the system indicator will flash.
5. Train the system sensors in the tires using the following reset sequence starting with the left front tire and following a clockwise order: Left front, right front, right rear, left rear.
6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps. Note: The single horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been learned by your vehicle for this position. If a double horn chirp is heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and must be repeated.
7. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps.
8. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps.
9. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps. Training is complete when the horn chirps after the last system sensor (left rear) has been trained and the system indicator stops flashing.
10. Switch the ignition off. If two short horn chirps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and must be repeated.
11. Set all four tires to the correct pressure See Maintenance (owner’s manual page 211) or the tire inflation pressure label
(located on the edge of driver door or the B-Pillar).

2- SENSOR TRAINING WITH TOOL
Notes:

• It is not required to deflate the tire using this method, but the following tool must be obtained:
Ford-TPMS-Sensor-Tool-Training-Relearn-610x880.jpg

Ford TPMS Sensor Training Tool (Motorcraft TPMS19 Transmitter).

PROCEDURE:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
2. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
3. Press and release the brake pedal.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
*The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.*
6. Place the tire pressure monitor activation tool on the LEFT (Driver’s Side) FRONT tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and release the test button repeatedly on the TPMS Tool until the horn beeps. (It may take up to 6 seconds for the tool to activate the sensor, Leave the tool on the sidewall for the entire 6 seconds). The horn beeping indicates that the body control module has recognized the TPMS sensor.
7. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding confirming programming of the LF tire, place the TPMS tool on the RIGHT (Passenger’s Side) FRONT tire sidewall at the valve stem and press the test button to activate the sensor.
8. Repeat step 7 for RIGHT REAR followed by LEFT REAR tire in that order. The procedure is complete after the last tire has been trained. When training is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE. For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure is verified by turning the key to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn beeps twice when the switch is turned to OFF the training procedure was not successful.

NOTE: If the vehicle or wheels/sensors have been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a “sleep mode” to conserve battery power. It is necessary to wake them up by simply moving them or rolling the tires before they will communicate with the vehicle.

NOTE: The TPMS training procedure must be done on one vehicle at a time, in an area without radio frequency interference – at least 3 feet away from other vehicles equipped with TPMS sensors.
Thank you!

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
There's cheaper no-name versions on Prime, but the Motorcraft one goes for $34 . https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-TPMS19-Transmitter/dp/B001FKSNUI
Anthony,

Before you spend any cash on the relearn tool, did you try temporarily changing the pressure on 1 tire and checking the display to see if it matches position?

I swapped my original wheels and tires with a 2nd complete set of Ranger OEM wheels, Winter tires, and OEM TPMS sensors, and my Ranger auto learned the new sensors and positions just by driving 2 or 3 miles. (I bought the relearn tool you linked here but didn't need it)

It's possible that our truck may also relearn the position of OEM sensors if they are swapped positions, then taking a few mile spin...

Just wanted to share my experience..

Last edited:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
TRAINING
Because the pressure is different for front/rear tires, the system must be trained following a tire rotation. The training procedure will let the system know where each sensor is physically located (front-left/front-right/rear-left/rear-right). There are 2 options to perform the training:

1- SENSOR TRAINING WITHOUT TOOL
Notes:

• This method requires to deflate each tire, so an air compressor is required to re-inflate them after the procedure is completed.
  • This method can’t be used to teach the system to recognize a new sensor (i.e. after buying and installing a new sensor), but it will work afterwards.

1. Drive your vehicle above 20 mph (32 km/h) for at least two minutes to activate the sensors.
2. Switch the ignition off.
3. Switch the ignition on with the engine off.
4. Turn the hazard flashers on then off three times, this must be completed within 10 seconds. If the reset mode has been entered successfully, the horn will chirp once and the system indicator will flash.
5. Train the system sensors in the tires using the following reset sequence starting with the left front tire and following a clockwise order: Left front, right front, right rear, left rear.
6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps. Note: The single horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been learned by your vehicle for this position. If a double horn chirp is heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and must be repeated.
7. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps.
8. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps.
9. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps. Training is complete when the horn chirps after the last system sensor (left rear) has been trained and the system indicator stops flashing.
10. Switch the ignition off. If two short horn chirps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and must be repeated.
11. Set all four tires to the correct pressure See Maintenance (owner’s manual page 211) or the tire inflation pressure label
(located on the edge of driver door or the B-Pillar).

2- SENSOR TRAINING WITH TOOL
Notes:

• It is not required to deflate the tire using this method, but the following tool must be obtained:
Ford-TPMS-Sensor-Tool-Training-Relearn-610x880.jpg

Ford TPMS Sensor Training Tool (Motorcraft TPMS19 Transmitter).

PROCEDURE:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
2. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
3. Press and release the brake pedal.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
*The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.*
6. Place the tire pressure monitor activation tool on the LEFT (Driver’s Side) FRONT tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and release the test button repeatedly on the TPMS Tool until the horn beeps. (It may take up to 6 seconds for the tool to activate the sensor, Leave the tool on the sidewall for the entire 6 seconds). The horn beeping indicates that the body control module has recognized the TPMS sensor.
7. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding confirming programming of the LF tire, place the TPMS tool on the RIGHT (Passenger’s Side) FRONT tire sidewall at the valve stem and press the test button to activate the sensor.
8. Repeat step 7 for RIGHT REAR followed by LEFT REAR tire in that order. The procedure is complete after the last tire has been trained. When training is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE. For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure is verified by turning the key to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn beeps twice when the switch is turned to OFF the training procedure was not successful.

NOTE: If the vehicle or wheels/sensors have been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a “sleep mode” to conserve battery power. It is necessary to wake them up by simply moving them or rolling the tires before they will communicate with the vehicle.

NOTE: The TPMS training procedure must be done on one vehicle at a time, in an area without radio frequency interference – at least 3 feet away from other vehicles equipped with TPMS sensors.
Well, FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!:whew: What the heck:question::frown: :LOL:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Because the pressure is different for front/rear tires
According to my door sticker with stock tires, the pressures for the front and rear are the same.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
hmmm appears this process was too complicated for the local service department, but at least I know the tires were rotated lol.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Anthony,

Before you spend any cash on the relearn tool, did you try temporarily changing the pressure on 1 tire and checking the display to see if it matches position?

I swapped my original wheels and tires with a 2nd complete set of Ranger OEM wheels, Winter tires, and OEM TPMS sensors, and my Ranger auto learned the new sensors and positions just by driving 2 or 3 miles. (I bought the relearn tool you linked here but didn't need it)

It's possible that our truck may also relearn the position of OEM sensors if they are swapped positions, then taking a few mile spin...

Just wanted to share my experience..
I haven't done the rotation yet, I'm on vacation next week so I'll most likely do it and the oil change then.

I was going to get the tool because I have a somewhat unique situation. I have a second entire set of Sport wheels and tires (for a total of 8). I'm debating whether or not to start rotating the second set in or just waiting until the first set is done before using the second set.

The issue with rotating in one tire at a time from the second set will be that the wear pattern won't be correct because the wheel that is supposed to go to one specific corner now will be a totally different wheel...so I'm most likely just going to stay with one set and then go to the next set.

Basically I might just get the tool to be lazy and not worry about airing down and up, but for sure that is an easy way to go. I have an air compressor, so doing the air-down method should be fine.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This thread got me curious, so this morning I went out and did some checking. When I did my oil change I rotated the tires but did NOTHING with the TPMS sensors. This morning, the dash readout showed the driver front with 33 lbs and the other 3 with 31 lbs. I took my tire gauge and checked all 4 tires and that matched what the gauge showed. So, somehow the truck DOES know which tire is which and where it is. I didn't do anything and it figured it out somehow. I changed my oil almost 1000 miles ago now, so I don't know when it figured it out, but it did.
Sponsored