Engine "buzz" at low speeds/rpm

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I got the EXACT same phrase from my dealer. It's a "characteristic of the engine". Just because it's a "characteristic", that doesn't keep it from SUCKING! :shock:
Sponsored

Rhino0624

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F-150 / 2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I came back home yesterday.
Didnt notice the noise after 9k miles.
Started it up today and its 30 degrees colder than where Iv been in NC and now.
I have the exact same noise coming from the front of the engine.
Iv been running 87 with no noise until today
WTF?
If anyone figures this crap out
Please reply.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I came back home yesterday.
Didnt notice the noise after 9k miles.
Started it up today and its 30 degrees colder than where Iv been in NC and now.
I have the exact same noise coming from the front of the engine.
Iv been running 87 with no noise until today
WTF?
If anyone figures this crap out
Please reply.
I always run premium fuel and have the noise so it’s not that. Stick your head under the steering wheel and listen. Also roll a window down and listen.

Rhino0624

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F-150 / 2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I always run premium fuel and have the noise so it’s not that. Stick your head under the steering wheel and listen. Also roll a window down and listen.
Hey
So I started it Sunday to move my car hauler
It was 20 degrees warmer.
No more noise same today.
Sounds nice and quiet again.
I think it may be related to the outside temp and the lifters making the noise?
It was definitely not inside the truck it was 100% by the front on the engine.

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I notice this almost daily on mine from day one. Have about 5500 miles on it. The only time I don’t notice it is when there’s at least just a little background noise but I’m sure it always there. I’ve been running the best possible fuel (91 in my area). I’ve added some octane booster just to see if that made any difference, changed fuel stations, to no effect. Also running amsoil at the moment with no changes to the sound. I’ve driven multiple different 2019 rangers and have noticed the sound in all of them. Two XLT’s and a lariat. I’ve added the engine cover and it does seem to help a bit but it’s just masking the issue. I’d love to get rid of the sound altogether.

Also for what it’s worth, I notice the sound quite a bit on acceleration.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
FYI this is definitely a characteristic of the engine. Sure, the Mustangs may be less noticeable, but it's because they're calibrated differently. It's tied to temperature, as that's the primary metric that determines whether the injectors are running in split-shot mode, or single injection mode. The buzz you're hearing is the split-shot injection mode, as the injectors are firing twice as rapidly, and for half the duration, compared to normal. It improves cold combustion stability and reduces oil dilution on cold starts, and is calibrated differently on each Ford application depending on emissions performance & targets. It will enter and exit this mode based on temperature, speed, and load, so it won't be the same on every drive cycle.

Source: I am an anonymous person who definitely doesn't know anything about this stuff so don't ask more :sunglasses:

Danny Ramirez

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX FX4
I have this issue. I noticed that people who do not have this issue are trying to say that it is the injectors. If you are one of these people saying that it is the injectors, you most likely arnt hearing the same sound in your truck that we are hearing. I understand the engine has a buzz/winding type sound from the injectors, which you can hear when the hood is open.

What we are referring to is a different sound. I know this because sometimes this 'different sound' goes away and then i can hear the injector buzz. This 'different sound' is best described as an electronic buzz. And, to me, the best way to describe it is some type of speaker within the inside of the dashrboard, somewhere in the center. It DOES not sound like there is a peble stuck somewhere. It sometimes seems to cut out, or skip, but never really seems to go away. It is not a normal sound for this engine, and if you dont have it, then you dont know and you will not know until you hop inside someone elses ranger that does have it.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
I have this issue. I noticed that people who do not have this issue are trying to say that it is the injectors. If you are one of these people saying that it is the injectors, you most likely arnt hearing the same sound in your truck that we are hearing. I understand the engine has a buzz/winding type sound from the injectors, which you can hear when the hood is open.

What we are referring to is a different sound. I know this because sometimes this 'different sound' goes away and then i can hear the injector buzz. This 'different sound' is best described as an electronic buzz. And, to me, the best way to describe it is some type of speaker within the inside of the dashrboard, somewhere in the center. It DOES not sound like there is a peble stuck somewhere. It sometimes seems to cut out, or skip, but never really seems to go away. It is not a normal sound for this engine, and if you dont have it, then you dont know and you will not know until you hop inside someone elses ranger that does have it.
The sound that the injectors make changes dramatically as they switch modes. They absolutely sound like a buzzing speaker behind the dash when running in split-shot mode.

Last edited:

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
If this noise is made by the fuel injectors in split shot mode is there any way to further sound dampen them to reduce the noise entering the engine compartment?

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
If this noise is made by the fuel injectors in split shot mode is there any way to further sound dampen them to reduce the noise entering the engine compartment?
Well, I'm sure you can add insulation. Dynamat or similar. No idea how much you'd need to make an impact. The Lariat engine cover helps if you don't have one, but obviously doesn't fix it (I still hear it in my Lariat.)

If you can find a tuner who knows what he's doing, he can turn off split-shot. Of course this would make the truck non-compliant from an emissions standpoint, so I would never recommend such a thing :sunglasses:

Also he'd have to make sure single-shot was correctly calibrated for the zones that used to run in split-shot. Ford engineers likely didn't spend much time there. Although, it shouldn't take much work.

Danny Ramirez

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX FX4
Well, I'm sure you can add insulation. Dynamat or similar. No idea how much you'd need to make an impact. The Lariat engine cover helps if you don't have one, but obviously doesn't fix it (I still hear it in my Lariat.)

If you can find a tuner who knows what he's doing, he can turn off split-shot. Of course this would make the truck non-compliant from an emissions standpoint, so I would never recommend such a thing :sunglasses:

Also he'd have to make sure single-shot was correctly calibrated for the zones that used to run in split-shot. Ford engineers likely didn't spend much time there. Although, it shouldn't take much work.
Turning up the radio has been working for me:like:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Joe.sbg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 2500 ram ctd
FYI this is definitely a characteristic of the engine. Sure, the Mustangs may be less noticeable, but it's because they're calibrated differently. It's tied to temperature, as that's the primary metric that determines whether the injectors are running in split-shot mode, or single injection mode. The buzz you're hearing is the split-shot injection mode, as the injectors are firing twice as rapidly, and for half the duration, compared to normal. It improves cold combustion stability and reduces oil dilution on cold starts, and is calibrated differently on each Ford application depending on emissions performance & targets. It will enter and exit this mode based on temperature, speed, and load, so it won't be the same on every drive cycle.

Source: I am an anonymous person who definitely doesn't know anything about this stuff so don't ask more :sunglasses:
So yesterday I did a test drive on xlt ranger with the hope to make a purchase. This buzz was very noticeable and the temp was about 30 degrees. It caused me to step back from buying at the present time. I had previously did a test drive in the summer and didn’t notice it. Mr. anonymous seems to have the right explanation. Otherwise I like everything about the truck.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So yesterday I did a test drive on xlt ranger with the hope to make a purchase. This buzz was very noticeable and the temp was about 30 degrees. It caused me to step back from buying at the present time. I had previously did a test drive in the summer and didn’t notice it. Mr. anonymous seems to have the right explanation. Otherwise I like everything about the truck.
While I certainly respect the fact that it's your money, and your choice I'm wondering on what factual basis your decision was made? Technology moves on. A Model T Ford sounds pretty weird too.... seriously.... compared to a horse and buggy.
Sponsored