Engine "buzz" at low speeds/rpm

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I could hear something in the second video, but it seemed rather faint (to these old ears).

So you had the noise and then it went away by itself?
Yes, I noticed it one day almost immediately. It did if for 2 to 3 days and then just went away.
Sponsored

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Magnetic Gray / 2020 Explorer Limited RWD Magnetic Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Almost sounds like a lifter..Is the fan clear?
The fan is clear. I thought when I first looked into it that it might be the fan clutch but itā€™s not. It is definitely coming from the engine area. To me this is NOT normal. It didnā€™t sound like this for the first 200 miles. I agree it sounds like a lifter, itā€™s loud and mechanical and unmistakable. Iā€™m going to make more videoā€™s when I get home after work. Iā€™m hoping I can catch a video of it not making the ā€œlifterā€ type noise.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
The fan is clear. I thought when I first looked into it that it might be the fan clutch but itā€™s not. It is definitely coming from the engine area. To me this is NOT normal. It didnā€™t sound like this for the first 200 miles. I agree it sounds like a lifter, itā€™s loud and mechanical and unmistakable. Iā€™m going to make more videoā€™s when I get home after work. Iā€™m hoping I can catch a video of it not making the ā€œlifterā€ type noise.
Iā€™d run it by ford for an eval...what octane gas are you using?

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d run it by ford for an eval...what octane gas are you using?
Iā€™m running 91 octane. Thatā€™s the highest octane readily available in my area in Northern California.

Warren

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat,
everyones running 93 now. after that post telling us we would make more HP and torque. be fools not to waste the extra money for the gains
Good idea!! I'm going to go for the higher 93 octane in my next tank as an experiment to see if it shuts up those irritating buzzing injectors.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™m running 91 octane. Thatā€™s the highest octane readily available in my area in Northern California.
Ok, just curious.
Regards

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Good idea!! I'm going to go for the higher 93 octane in my next tank as an experiment to see if it shuts up those irritating buzzing injectors.
I've been running 93 since day 1 and have the buzz on-and-off. My experience is that it seems to be tied to some sort of humidity/temperature situation. I can't recall now whether I've heard it more when dry/warm/cool/damp, but there was definitely some sort of correlation for me.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I've been running 93 since day 1 and have the buzz on-and-off. My experience is that it seems to be tied to some sort of humidity/temperature situation. I can't recall now whether I've heard it more when dry/warm/cool/damp, but there was definitely some sort of correlation for me.
Sounds like it is time for a good old science project. We need someone who has the buzz sound to take notes. If I had the sound I would volunteer, but I don't.

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I noticed the buzz start back up again yesterday. I'm starting to think it might indeed be the fuel injectors. Sometimes it sounds like a sewing machine which is normal and what's expected. Other times it sounds more like a buzz. I'm not sure why it would sound different from one day to the next, maybe they work differently depending on outside temp, engine hot/cold, humidity (crisp air vs damp) etc. I think others have mentioned it literally does operate differently under different scenarios which I can only imagine would change the sound. We're talking high pressure valves here. The sound immediately goes away when I take my foot off the gas. Anything is possible, but I don't think the engine shakes that much when lightly pressing the gas that is causing something to rattle that is otherwise silent. Just wanted to follow up.

dcgibs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 - 4x2 SuperCrew
I have the buzz too. Had it since day 1 and now just over 1k still there.
  • Very apparent on cold engine after starting in the morning.
  • With engine startup you get blower fan going, which kinda covers buzz
  • After fan calms the f down the buzz is apparent
  • Without A/C or radio buzz is very noticeable
    • The buzz is tied to throttle, so if the engine needs more power/fuel the buzz speeds up
    • Idle the buzz rate calms down
      • The rate will pick up if you push gas or
      • If I turn the A/C on, where it needs some power to run compress etc..
    • With the fucking autostop, if I forget to hit the damn button, the sound is gone
  • When engine warms up after driving for 10-15 min it is less noticeable
I did mention to Ford dealership folks. They gave the response it's characteristic of the engine. The DI makes the buzz. Nothing wrong.

Well if that's the case they shouldn't have designed the fucking engine with the damn thing so close to the firewall and cabin. I will get back to dealership over some other things and bug them on the buzz again. Ask them what big Ford people think.

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
    • The buzz is tied to throttle, so if the engine needs more power/fuel the buzz speeds up
    • With the fucking autostop, if I forget to hit the damn button, the sound is gone
I did mention to Ford dealership folks. They gave the response it's characteristic of the engine. The DI makes the buzz. Nothing wrong.

Well if that's the case they shouldn't have designed the fucking engine with the damn thing so close to the firewall and cabin. I will get back to dealership over some other things and bug them on the buzz again. Ask them what big Ford people think.
This is exactly my experience with the damn buzzy noise. The engineers need to figure out a way to keep the noise from transferring into the cab of the truck. Maybe use rubber washers at the mounting points to cushion the vibration, something,,,, anything.

Warren

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat,

Perfect description and my sentiments exactly!! In 48 years of working on my own, friends and kids vehicles I have never heard an engine emmitting that kind of buzzing that would be considered a normal characteristic. I understand that electronics and technology today is state of the art but if so why should this be acceptable?? It can't be a normal characteristic as some don't seem to be having the issue unless they are just not in tune to what normal should be. Not sure about the XLT, but on the Lariat besides the sound dampening cover over the bulk of the engine Ford engineers made a feeble attempt to cover noise on the injector module with a rubber cover. They need to go back to the drawing board!! I like this vehicle but the engine buzz for me puts a big damper on it. Am I just too anal!

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect description and my sentiments exactly!! In 48 years of working on my own, friends and kids vehicles I have never heard an engine emmitting that kind of buzzing that would be considered a normal characteristic. I understand that electronics and technology today is state of the art but if so why should this be acceptable?? It can't be a normal characteristic as some don't seem to be having the issue unless they are just not in tune to what normal should be. Not sure about the XLT, but on the Lariat besides the sound dampening cover over the bulk of the engine Ford engineers made a feeble attempt to cover noise on the injector module with a rubber cover. They need to go back to the drawing board!! I like this vehicle but the engine buzz for me puts a big damper on it. Am I just too anal!
I couldnā€™t agree more! I drove to work today and the buzzing was driving me crazy. Makes the engine sound like itā€™s about to fall apart. Itā€™s like nails on a chalkboard for me. This canā€™t be ā€œnormalā€

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I am thinking that this issue may be related to the issue where people are questioning the existence of fake engine noise. I DEFINITELY hear the bizzing. I do NOT, however, hear any fake engine noise being piped in (EVER) but if that is part of the "Active Noise Cancellation", maybe I am hearing the buzzing more because my active noise cancellation is not working. Any thoughts?
Sponsored