Silly and/or useful hacks

Ron Heritage

First Name
Roniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
So far I love my Ranger! And this forum is helping me discover many things about it. It is likely going to drain my bank account with all the mods I have planned. Let's get into some clever hacks, silly or useful, cheap or not so cheap, that you have used or done to your Ranger to make life easier.

The Ranger is slightly longer than I anticipated. With the overhead door closed I can barely open the man door to leave my garage. We all know the trick to hang a tennis ball from a string so you can drive into your garage and stop in the perfect spot. Well now with reverse cams we can take that one step further. I painted a small docking station on my garage floor. Now I park in the exact spot I want every time.

20191005_202613.jpg
20191005_200924.jpg
Sponsored

Pirategrad

First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
So far I love my Ranger! And this forum is helping me discover many things about it. It is likely going to drain my bank account with all the mods I have planned. Let's get into some clever hacks, silly or useful, cheap or not so cheap, that you have used or done to your Ranger to make life easier.

The Ranger is slightly longer than I anticipated. With the overhead door closed I can barely open the man door to leave my garage. We all know the trick to hang a tennis ball from a string so you can drive into your garage and stop in the perfect spot. Well now with reverse cams we can take that one step further. I painted a small docking station on my garage floor. Now I park in the exact spot I want every time.

20191005_202613.jpg
20191005_200924.jpg
Ingenious idea!!! Thanks for sharing!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I use dual laser parking aids...much better than tennis balls

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Pan1.jpg

OP
OP
Ron Heritage

Ron Heritage

First Name
Roniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Pan1.jpg
Oh that's really clever! Does it tie into the garage door opener? Or its own motion sensor maybe? I like that. Though I'd have to watch out the neighbors cat doesnt chase the laser up onto my dash......here kitty kitty!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Oh that's really clever! Does it tie into the garage door opener? Or its own motion sensor maybe? I like that. Though I'd have to watch out the neighbors cat doesnt chase the laser up onto my dash......here kitty kitty!
Hi Ron,

It has its own motion detector. The laser positions the vehicle fore/Aft and side to side...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Hi Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Pan1.jpg
That looks like a fantastic solution. Can you tell us what make/model your laser parking aid is?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Another alternative for the tennis ball could be this here: https://www.amazon.com/Striker-Adjustable-Garage-Parking-Sensor/adp/B00W9EBF0Y/ The benefit imho is that you just set a distance, and then it doesn't matter who or what car parks, as it will show the correct color for a certain distance. With the other solutions (ball, laser, etc) you first need to check where the laser ends or where the ball has to hang.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang

20191005_202613.jpg
20191005_200924.jpg
That’s a great idea. So great that there will be one it my garage soon!

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I took a 2x4, drilled a couple of shallow holes (2-3") in my garage floor, ran a couple of bolts through the 2x4, and placed it on/in the floor. I placed it so I have about 6" from the rear bumper to the garage door, giving me max space in front of the truck. If I ever need to remove it for any reason, I just pick it up and set it to the side and replace it when I'm done. And I can fill the holes with some hydraulic cement if I need to re-position it or fill the holes permanently.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Stop with the Gee Whiz gadgets and do it the Ohio Hillbilly way and save money for beer.;)
#1. Put your trash can(s) in front/back so just pulling/backing up to it will tell you to stop.
#2. Tie a red flag around a top of a shovel, on the side wall, and when you can see it on the side just stop.
#3. Get some duck tape/sharpie and make a target, on the side wall, and when you can see it on the side just stop.
Warning - Do not allow your wife or kids to move the shovel or trash cans or you better call the drywall man.
IMHO - In my Hillbilly opinion:blush:

Last edited:

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired

20191005_202613.jpg
20191005_200924.jpg
Nice idea for the 'docking spot'. If I backed my truck in, I would consider following your lead.