Another Trac Electronics One-Touch Window Write-Up Without Removing The Door Panel Or Worrying About Breaking The Clip

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
So I had 4 projects today, 3 on the Jeep and install my one-touch window module.

My Jeep projects went 3 for 3 bad:
1. Received wrong item
2. Received defective item
3. Color is terrible so getting returned.

Therefore it was with trepidation that I approached the Ranger, knowing full well that I would likely break the dreaded clip since the rest of my adventures were going so well.

I resigned my self to remove the door panel to prevent this from occurring.

After I removed the first piece of trim, I realized that I now had easy access to the aforementioned retainer clip.

Yes! Something went right for a change!

So anyway, follow along to install the module with no weeping and gnashing of teeth.

1. Remove the small piece of trim from the door panel face. Start at the rear of the door and work your way forward. The little plastic clips will release cleanly with no breakage.

IMG_2023.jpeg

IMG_2021.jpeg

When you get to the end at the front pull it straight out. Here's the removed trim piece.

IMG_2015.jpeg

Now with that removed, you have a lot of holes and lots of access to the mounting of the switch.

IMG_2014.jpeg

Shine a flashlight in there and you can clearly see the offending retainer. I used a flat screwdriver and compressed the retainer and the switch came right out. Lift at the rear of the switch and rotate it forward and up. Here is the little devil retainer.

IMG_2016.jpeg

Now just plug in your window module and apply the velcro to the back of it. I attached the 2 pieces together and then removed the film that protects the adhesive. Fished it into the switch hole and snapped the switch back into place. Insert the front of the switch first so that the hook catches and then snap the rear down.

IMG_2018.jpeg

Now put your finger into the hole in the panel and push the adhesive up against the underside of the armrest.

IMG_2019.jpeg

Total time elapsed including time to take pictures was around 10 minutes.

Look at those fingernails. Someone has a Jeep.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Nice. I keep saying i am going to get one.

Maybe Santa will hook a brother up.
Sorry to break the bad news to you Bob but my source says otherwise. :frown:

Coal.jpeg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Just a heads up for those that are thinking about doing this or have already done it. There is no pinch protection with these modules. They will keep trying to close the window with a restriction in its path. So kids and animals have a potential catastrophic event lurking.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
So I had 4 projects today, 3 on the Jeep and install my one-touch window module.

My Jeep projects went 3 for 3 bad:
1. Received wrong item
2. Received defective item
3. Color is terrible so getting returned.

Therefore it was with trepidation that I approached the Ranger, knowing full well that I would likely break the dreaded clip since the rest of my adventures were going so well.

I resigned my self to remove the door panel to prevent this from occurring.

After I removed the first piece of trim, I realized that I now had easy access to the aforementioned retainer clip.

Yes! Something went right for a change!

So anyway, follow along to install the module with no weeping and gnashing of teeth.

1. Remove the small piece of trim from the door panel face. Start at the rear of the door and work your way forward. The little plastic clips will release cleanly with no breakage.

IMG_2023.jpeg

IMG_2021.jpeg

When you get to the end at the front pull it straight out. Here's the removed trim piece.

IMG_2015.jpeg

Now with that removed, you have a lot of holes and lots of access to the mounting of the switch.

IMG_2014.jpeg

Shine a flashlight in there and you can clearly see the offending retainer. I used a flat screwdriver and compressed the retainer and the switch came right out. Lift at the rear of the switch and rotate it forward and up. Here is the little devil retainer.

IMG_2016.jpeg

Now just plug in your window module and apply the velcro to the back of it. I attached the 2 pieces together and then removed the film that protects the adhesive. Fished it into the switch hole and snapped the switch back into place. Insert the front of the switch first so that the hook catches and then snap the rear down.

IMG_2018.jpeg

Now put your finger into the hole in the panel and push the adhesive up against the underside of the armrest.

IMG_2019.jpeg

Total time elapsed including time to take pictures was around 10 minutes.

Look at those fingernails. Someone has a Jeep.
Great write up and I am impressed, rare for me to get through any project without something broken or a clip/retainer flying to the netherworld.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Just a heads up for those that are thinking about doing this or have already done it. There is no pinch protection with these modules. They will keep trying to close the window with a restriction in its path. So kids and animals have a potential catastrophic event lurking.
Meh, kids and animals ride in the bed.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
This is why I’m opposed to adding to my rear windows. The kids loooove riding with the windows down. I’m debating whether or not to install on passenger side though.
Sponsored