Oil level Rising up Dipstick After Oil Change

Lone Ranger

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew, 2019 Ford Flex
I noticed that the oil level was above the top hole of the dipstick and it smelled like an additive or gasoline was getting into the oil. So, I did an oil change at roughly 360 miles and installed 6 quarts of Mobile One. I used the FL910S Ford Oil Filter.

The oil level was below the line of the hash mark not the dip stick when I was done. The vehicle now has 2833 miles on it and with 85 degree weather and a hot engine, the oil level was 1/8" above the top hole. After the engine cooled down, the oil level was at or below the top hole, but the garage was still warm around 83 degrees. I have been getting good fuel economy on a 1500 mile trip of 25 MPG and on a highway only trip of 27.5 MPG.

The oil has some oder, but it is not as strong of a fuelish type oder as before at 360 miles. I previously had a Ford Fusion Hybrid and I did not have this experience, except that it's oil level would creep up 1/4 to 3/8 inch after 500 miles of driving - still only putting in the correct amount of oil. The reason I mention this is I am suspicious if the Start-Stop function is allowing too much fuel to pass with the start and stop if the engine.

The dealer is good to me and I can certainly ask them questions and will get an honest answer, I just hate bugging them with my OCD type questions. Does anyone have this kind of experience with the oil level rising and dropping significantly with temperature? Is Ford putting in an additive in the oil at first that makes the oil smell like something else is in it? Has anyone had problems with fuel getting in the crankcase on their new Ranger ?
Sponsored

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Oil like any other liquid expands when hot, contracts when cold. The amount of change on you dip stick is probably an once or so. I would do consider this normal in my own Ranger and don't give it a second thought.

As for the annoying auto shut off/start, well I have it disabled and so do a lot of others here...

OP
OP

Lone Ranger

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil like any other liquid expands when hot, contracts when cold. The amount of change on you dip stick is probably an once or so. I would do consider this normal in my own Ranger and don't give it a second thought.

As for the annoying auto shut off/start, well I have it disabled and so do a lot of others here...
Thank you. I turn the auto stop start off immediately and then turn it back on after the engine temp is hot. Have you noticed any unusual smell on the oil on the dip stick ?

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Direct injection gasoline vehicles seem to all have a high amount of oil dilution when measured by independent oil analysts. Makes it important to always use a high quality oil.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have this kind of experience with the oil level rising and dropping significantly with temperature?
It's quite simple - oil expands when it is hot and contracts when it is cold. That's why they all tell you to check your oil level "always" when it is cold.;) This also applies to tire pressures.;)
update: 8/3/19 20:23
oops - too quick on the draw - this was already answered above:oops:

Last edited:

OP
OP

Lone Ranger

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's quite simple - oil expands when it is hot and contracts when it is cold. That's why they all tell you to check your oil level "always" when it is cold.;) This also applies to tire pressures.;)
update: 8/3/19 20:23
oops - too quick on the draw - this was already answered above:oops:
Thank you. The concern is how much it rises since the oil change. I can state that with 3400 miles now, the level is not continuously rising. My concern was that there was a leaky fuel injector or the software wasn't turning off the fuel injectors fast enough during start-stop mode. The oil level, while measured higher than when I first changed it, has not continued to increase and remains below the top dot. Also, the oil smells normal now. So, I am not really concerned at this point.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
If you smell gasoline in your engine oil that might warrant a looking into by your dealers service department. As I stated above, oil expands when it gets hot BUT another reason for increased oil level on the dip stick is a malfunctioning drain back valve in your oil filter. Your oil filter retains its volume of oil for start up so the engine doesn't "starve" for oil, especially if it sat over night or several hours while you were at work. The dip stick level accounts for this oil but if the drain back valve malfunctions or fails this would bring the oil level up and it would show on the dipstick.
Sponsored