Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Black, 1970 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody know if HD radio is standard with Sync 3? My Lariat does not seem to have it.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Does anybody know if HD radio is standard with Sync 3? My Lariat does not seem to have it.
HD used to be a part of Sync 3. I understand that it has been removed to make it a B&O exclusive.
If you have B&O you should have HD, unless you have a SuperCab... then who knows?... since a full B&O system was promised and not delivered.
My Transit Connect has it...and I love it, I expected it on the Ranger and was not told that it wasn't included.

Unfortunately,Its just a silly marketing ploy which failed miserably because Ford failed to fully inform the buyers of their options and choices.

OP
OP
Steve63

Steve63

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HD used to be a part of Sync 3. I understand that it has been removed to make it a B&O exclusive.
If you have B&O you should have HD, unless you have a SuperCab... then who knows?... since a full B&O system was promised and not delivered.
My Transit Connect has it...and I love it, I expected it on the Ranger and was not told that it wasn't included.

Unfortunately,Its just a silly marketing ploy which failed miserably because Ford failed to fully inform the buyers of their options and choices.

OP
OP
Steve63

Steve63

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I guess I'm SOL. I'll miss it. You would think that would be standard. Thank god it has Android Auto and iPhone Car Play.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Yeah, I'm kinda pissed just because it was such a dick move by Ford. (You simply can't get hd radio in a super cab, even if you pay for it.) But really, I never listen to live radio so it doesn't matter.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Yeah, I thought that was a dumb thing to hold hostage too. Like anyone is going to pay an extra $5K for HD radio alone... I can't wait until they hold heated seats hostage, or maybe windshield wipers...

The option is in Forscan, but I suspect we didn't get some module, or someone needs to find and enable some other options in the APIM.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I thought that was a dumb thing to hold hostage too. Like anyone is going to pay an extra $5K for HD radio alone... I can't wait until they hold heated seats hostage, or maybe windshield wipers...

The option is in Forscan, but I suspect we didn't get some module, or someone needs to find and enable some other options in the APIM.
I've never had HD radio before. I've heard it advertised all over the place how great it is, but to me, it seems like all it gets me is a display on the radio showing what song/artist is playing (and not even that all the time). I can't tell a difference in signal quality and I do see it going back to "normal" radio when the signal isn't strong enough.

What else does HD radio get you? Is it supposed to be a superior sound? Like High Def TV stations? Thus far, it is a non starter for me..... I don't think you are missing anything really.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
HD radio is a clearer, more distinct sound.
I guess I've listened to too much Rock and Roll too loud over the years... :) I can't really tell a difference.

Although Metallica's "Enter Sandman" sounded REALLY good yesterday cranked up on the B&O System while driving home from work yesterday!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD radio is a clearer, more distinct sound.
In addition to that, there's no static, ever. It's either on, or off. And some stations have HD1, HD2, HD3, etc which are usually continuous music, or music of a different kind, etc. I usually use it for the sub channel feature where the sub channel is usually better all around for music listening.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I've never had HD radio before. I've heard it advertised all over the place how great it is, but to me, it seems like all it gets me is a display on the radio showing what song/artist is playing (and not even that all the time). I can't tell a difference in signal quality and I do see it going back to "normal" radio when the signal isn't strong enough.

What else does HD radio get you? Is it supposed to be a superior sound? Like High Def TV stations? Thus far, it is a non starter for me..... I don't think you are missing anything really.
I have it but only found one station close enough to receive in my area. Maybe it will be ok when traveling in populated areas if I let my SiriusXM lapse later on. It does sound good.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In addition to that, there's no static, ever. It's either on, or off. And some stations have HD1, HD2, HD3, etc which are usually continuous music, or music of a different kind, etc. I usually use it for the sub channel feature where the sub channel is usually better all around for music listening.
What I find if it won't do HD (the signal is weak) it just falls back to regular FM. I do remember the sub channels which is kind of cool (sometimes you will hear some interesting music), but it certainly isn't a big deal for me. I really don't hear a difference between regular FM and HD.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I find if it won't do HD (the signal is weak) it just falls back to regular FM. I do remember the sub channels which is kind of cool (sometimes you will hear some interesting music), but it certainly isn't a big deal for me. I really don't hear a difference between regular FM and HD.
I live 40 miles from the nearest major FM station, it's more of a problem in my area because everything sounds like static.

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired
Bad thing about HD is when you live in the stix and it keeps jumping back and forth between HD and standard. Really annoying! Louder/Clearer to Low and static. And if you use the sub channels, it just goes blank.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring

ABSOLUTELY - speakers and speaker locations should not have been the criteria for the availability of the B/O option - more deceiving is that you can order the package that has B/O when you order a Lariat SuperCab - I did so I know - and they rely on your ability to find out that you can order the 501A package and get it all but the B/O with a Lariat SC. Poor form unless you follow this site, my salesman hadn't a clue.
Sponsored