First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
Anyone here use a dump trailer? Thinking about getting one of these, or something similar. 7K tandem axle. I have had cargo trailers before, but not a dump trailer. Any insights, or concerns? Any brand sold in the Southeast I should look at? info here. Happens to be Texas pride trailers, but I know very little about them.

7k lb GVWR 10' Bumper Pull Dump Trailer - Texas Pride Trailers

Walk Around: 7K lb GVWR Bumper Pull 10' Long Dump Trailer | Texas Pride - YouTube

G.V.W.R.:7,000 lbs
Empty Trailer Weight:1,800lbs (5'x10' dump, no additional options)
Net Payload Capacity:5,200lbs (5'x10' dump, no additional options)
Axles:Dual 3,500 lb Direct Lube 5 lug (electric brakes on one axle)
Suspension:Double eye springs
Brakes:All wheel electric brakes on one axle (10" x 2" brake shoe)
Tires:New 15" ST205/75D15 LRC 6ply (1,820lbs ea)
Wheels:15" x 5" five hole white or silver (based on stock)
Main Frame:4" x 2" x 1/4" wall rectangular tubing
Tongue:4" channel
Tilt Frame:3" x 2" x 3/16" wall rectangular tubing
Cross Members:3" channel
Bed Flooring:1/8" thick sheet steel
Bed Siding:1/8" thick sheet steel
Tie Down:Stake pockets
Deck width:60" on 5' wide; 76" on 6' wide
Deck length:10'
Deck height:Approximately 24"
Side Wall Height:18" on 5x10, 24" on 6x10
Rear Door:Single swing door (5x10), Double swing doors (6x10)
Battery:Group 27 deep cycle marine
Charging System:Onboard 110v charger and tester (also charges off truck while being towed)
Pump:Electric over hydraulic (1.7 gpm) - power up / gravity down
Controller:15' corded remote control
Toolbox:Front locking tool box - contains battery and pump
Hydraulics:Single 3.5" x 24" hydraulic cylinder (10,000 lb max rated capacity)
Coupler:4 hole adjustable height 2 5/16" ball
Safety Chains:Two heavy duty safety chains
Jack:7,000 lb drop leg jack
Fenders:14ga heavy duty tread plate
Lighting:All flush mount or recessed lifetime LED stop / turn / clearance lighting
Wiring:U.S. made sealed modular wiring harness
Safety Equipment:DOT required emergency break-a-way kit and conspicuity tape & Prop Rod
Finish:Fully primed and painted with automotive grade acrylic enamel
Sponsored

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Never towed one with the ranger bit did all the time with my diesels. They are a huge time saver at the dump or scrap yard.
If its new nothing to really look at. Just make sure everything works. Dump trailers are pretty basic.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Looks really nice and would be great for so many uses. I wonder why they don't spec out the weight difference between the 5 and 6 foot widths? What size are you looking at? I'd do the 6 foot.

Or save wear and tear on your Ranger and save some money with this dumper for $2000:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
My only concern would be the fact that there's no tongue weight reading on that trailer. Other than that you should be fine. My suggestion make sure you have a trailer brake controller on the Ranger

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
My only concern would be the fact that there's no tongue weight reading on that trailer. Other than that you should be fine. My suggestion make sure you have a trailer brake controller on the Ranger
Great call on the brake controller, it's a bummer that it doesn't come with the tow package. It doesn't look too bad to install, but I'm terrified of breaking trim clips and you gotta move a lot of trim for it (I don't unsderstand why it has to wire to the third brake light? Seems like all that info must be available near the fuse panel ...).

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Saw a guy at my landfill with one of these and was super intrigued by it. What a time and back saver! He wanted a bigger one and was thinking of selling the one I was looking at. He has my number when the day comes he wants to upgrade!

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
They are great for getting bulk loads of mulch and other aggregate materials. Generally the people running the loaders at the yard are experienced enough to not overload you and get the load distribution right.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
Looks really nice and would be great for so many uses. I wonder why they don't spec out the weight difference between the 5 and 6 foot widths? What size are you looking at? I'd do the 6 foot.
weight difference is 400 lbs. I am looking at 5 ft, as it will be fitting in some tight spaces on the property. price they quoted will be approx. $7k. plus TTT for my options. This is considered a residential use trailer. I am debating about getting the thicker floor. Delivery timeline right now is 4-6 weeks. If I go 6 foot I might consider adding ramps, but price goes up and payload goes down. I am still looking online at other brands.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
weight difference is 400 lbs. I am looking at 5 ft, as it will be fitting in some tight spaces on the property. price they quoted will be approx. $7k. plus TTT for my options. This is considered a residential use trailer. I am debating about getting the thicker floor. Delivery timeline right now is 4-6 weeks. If I go 6 foot I might consider adding ramps, but price goes up and payload goes down. I am still looking online at other brands.
Ooh, a thicker floor sounds like a nice addition. While it reduces payload, it would make it less of an issue when loading heavy stuff like rock from skid loader, etc.

I think it's a really nice trailer.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Yes, you'll be thankful for a thicker floor if you ever get a load of 1.5 inch rock or larger. Alternative is to have them put a layer of crusher run rock in bottom before loading the larger rock.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Great call on the brake controller, it's a bummer that it doesn't come with the tow package. It doesn't look too bad to install, but I'm terrified of breaking trim clips and you gotta move a lot of trim for it (I don't unsderstand why it has to wire to the third brake light? Seems like all that info must be available near the fuse panel ...).
You don't "Have" to use the controller that ties into the 3rd brake.
As long as the 4 wire hook up is under the dash, you can use any electronic brake control like a Tekonsha. 4 wires from the brake control tie into the 4 wires under the dash , and you have a brake control It just doesn't tie into the emergency braking system.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I have a 6 x 10 8k pound Cam that I pull with my ranger. It is 2 k empty and the max I put in it is 4 to 5k and it tows great. You have to be very careful about how it is filled because the hitch can be overloaded easily. When I was towing it with my Silverado I had a loader operator put over 9k pounds of item 4 in it and it wasn't totally full. Luckily it was only 3 miles home with the helpers bottomed out. You have to be very careful and be prepared to dump some out and bring a shovel to distribute it evenly if you run into a new loader operator with a ranger because the hitch load can easily be pushed into the 3k range. Most loaders have scales and it's easy to get a safe load from an experienced operator. Adjust the brake gain right and no problem at all stopping. They are very handy but recently inflated steel prices have caused the pricing to almost double. Mine is the lower sitting type that makes loading tractors, our golf cart, and my side by side very easy. My last one was a 5 x 8 5k pound single axle one that towed really nice but I outgrew it. If you get one you will find many friends and neighbors will find a use for it so It's possible to earn a little gas money.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Last edited:

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
I run my 14k dump trailer almost daily behind my 1ton dodge at work. I’ve also got over 10k towing a 2 place enclosed aluminum snowmobile trailer behind the ranger that usually would gross 6,500lbs.

if your going to use the dump trailer for yard debris, household garbage etc. it would be a great tool. Definitely get a brake controller and make sure the trailer has brakes on both axles.
I would be very cautious using it for earth work hauling. If you look at the axle location on most dump trailers they are positioned slightly further to the rear than you may expect. It’s very easy to get a 20% transfer to the tongue especially when the gravel pit uses a large front loader. The other thing to be very aware of is that when dumping, especially a crushed rock or structural fill material, the sudden shift in weight to the rear of the trailer when the load starts sliding can you surprise you and dam near lift the back of a little ranger off the ground. You can make it work just approach with caution and don’t overload the trailer. You wound be surprised how small of a load 2 yards of gravel looks like in the trailer, and that’s all your going to want to run in a 7k.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
You don't "Have" to use the controller that ties into the 3rd brake.
As long as the 4 wire hook up is under the dash, you can use any electronic brake control like a Tekonsha. 4 wires from the brake control tie into the 4 wires under the dash , and you have a brake control It just doesn't tie into the emergency braking system.
That's good to know, thanks!
Sponsored