Problems/issues I have found

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I ordered a 19 Lariat from the factory in late January and took delivery in late April. The first night I had it, it threw a check engine light and the dealership was unable to figure out what the issue but it has not returned.

All four tires were way over pressured upon delivery -47-50 pounds— when recommended pressure is 30.

No code was supplied with the door keypad installed at the factory

There was maybe an ounce of windshield washer fluid and only about an 1/8 of a tank of gas in it upon delivery.

The hood appears to be misaligned—the “gap” is not even all the way around and the hood actually seems to hang over both fenders an 1/16” or so.

Over the first 1500 miles my biggest complaint is the seemingly jumpy acceleration and ride—like it misses and/or surges. It seems to occasionally jump when coasting to a stop light and applying brakes. There is a service bulletin ---TSB 19-2052-2019 dealing with the Power Train Control module and update software fix but the dealership says it doesn’t apply to my truck and they don’t feel the roughness. The rough running is somewhat sporadic and not necessarily just when cold. It's almost like the it is running in a higher gear than is needed or someone driving stick isn’t applying a clutch when coasting to a stop—Almost like a rookie getting used to a 5 speed stick shift.

Otherwise If I could change a few things about the truck I would:

Make it in a 6 foot bed with crew cab.

Increase the distance the driver side seat adjusts backwards to give more knee room when seat is raised above the lower positions.

Add reclining function to the power seat.

Add handle hole in middle of door arm rest instead of a handle near front.

Move emergency brake from center console to foot control and use additional space for storage, bigger cup holder, storage area etc.

Add power tail gate.

Allow for auto stop/start to be permanently disabled.
Sponsored

RobF8GT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW F800GT, 2017 Ford Fusion 2.7L sport. 2019 Ranger , Lariat, sport, FX4, Lightning Blue ordered.
Occupation
Commercial Transport Mechanic
Power tail gate? I can see maybe a power rear window. They need to meet fuel numbers so its not likely they would allow for a permanent disable , I'm just glad they offer a temporary disable of the start stop system. They don't get delivered with much washer fluid. I have PDI'd many of them, one of the things on the PDI list of things to do is fill the washer fluid. So is setting the tire pressures. That's not a Ford problem, that's your dealerships fault. Just saying..

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Power tail gate? I can see maybe a power rear window. They need to meet fuel numbers so its not likely they would allow for a permanent disable , I'm just glad they offer a temporary disable of the start stop system. They don't get delivered with much washer fluid. I have PDI'd many of them, one of the things on the PDI list of things to do is fill the washer fluid. So is setting the tire pressures. That's not a Ford problem, that's your dealerships fault. Just saying..
I did have dealership deal with all the little things. My point was that Ford should tighten up on their Quality Control/Inspection. If they want the Ranger to compete with Tacoma they better up their craftsmanship.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I have the same issues with choppy acceleration and rough braking. I have been considering a tune to smooth it out. I'm not sure what else to do about it...

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
If it was that bad I would take it back and get a different one. My buddy had a problematic 350 Super duty and Ford took it back and gave him another one. I agree the layout for cup holders could have been better but it is a small truck so we should expect those things. Kinda of like someone touring a tiny house and saying, "man, that's a small bathroom."

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
All four tires were way over pressured upon delivery -47-50 pounds— when recommended pressure is 30.

There was maybe an ounce of windshield washer fluid and only about an 1/8 of a tank of gas in it upon delivery.
The dealer tech didn't PDI your truck correctly. My tires where at 48psi each but my washer fluid and gas tank was full.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a 19 Lariat from the factory in late January and took delivery in late April. The first night I had it, it threw a check engine light and the dealership was unable to figure out what the issue but it has not returned.

No code was supplied with the door keypad installed at the factory

The hood appears to be misaligned—the “gap” is not even all the way around and the hood actually seems to hang over both fenders an 1/16” or so.

Over the first 1500 miles my biggest complaint is the seemingly jumpy acceleration and ride—like it misses and/or surges. It seems to occasionally jump when coasting to a stop light and applying brakes. There is a service bulletin ---TSB 19-2052-2019 dealing with the Power Train Control module and update software fix but the dealership says it doesn’t apply to my truck and they don’t feel the roughness. The rough running is somewhat sporadic and not necessarily just when cold. It's almost like the it is running in a higher gear than is needed or someone driving stick isn’t applying a clutch when coasting to a stop—Almost like a rookie getting used to a 5 speed stick shift.

Otherwise If I could change a few things about the truck I would:

Make it in a 6 foot bed with crew cab.

Increase the distance the driver side seat adjusts backwards to give more knee room when seat is raised above the lower positions.

Add reclining function to the power seat.

Add handle hole in middle of door arm rest instead of a handle near front.

Move emergency brake from center console to foot control and use additional space for storage, bigger cup holder, storage area etc.

Add power tail gate.

Allow for auto stop/start to be permanently disabled.
90% of those items are on the PDI. Yhats your dealer not doing their job.

Tire pressure, washer fluid, gas. All on PDI.

Also update all software. That will fix the jumpy acceleration.

Your dealer sucks. I would find another.

All those items should have been addressed.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Heck, mine came with a full tank of gas and washer fluid. The fit of parts is excellent, probably the best new vehicle I've ever had. No complaints from me.
AMEN

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I did have dealership deal with all the little things. My point was that Ford should tighten up on their Quality Control/Inspection. If they want the Ranger to compete with Tacoma they better up their craftsmanship.
Mine would make a Tacoma look like it was built by a drunken shade tree mechanic with only a hangover, a Cresent Wrench and a paint brush!:wink:
I can't see where the Tacoma can compete on any level of interest to me.
Design, performance, reliability, fit&finish and especially appearance... All advantage FORD.

:)I hear the seats are so close to the floor on the Tacoma that Trolls have to stand on the seat to see over the steering wheel.:giggle:

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota has a large following, Ranger lost their following but in a little time I predict that it will come back. Time will tell.

All vehicles have issues. Many of the "issues" that some people have with their trucks are indicators that they wanted a car but fell for the thought of being a truck person. All hat and no cows types. When I look at the GMC ads I see tons of chrome. All that crap would just get knocked off of a real truck persons vehicle. So, I have no patience with the soccer moms and dads that drive trucks and are wannabe truck people. They are the ones that have the most "issues" and need all of the flu flu stuff. All show and no go. :headbang: :LOL:

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Toyota has a large following, Ranger lost their following but in a little time I predict that it will come back. Time will tell.

All vehicles have issues. Many of the "issues" that some people have with their trucks are indicators that they wanted a car but fell for the thought of being a truck person. All hat and no cows types. When I look at the GMC ads I see tons of chrome. All that crap would just get knocked off of a real truck persons vehicle. So, I have no patience with the soccer moms and dads that drive trucks and are wannabe truck people. They are the ones that have the most "issues" and need all of the flu flu stuff. All show and no go. :headbang: :LOL:
I pretty much agree but trucks have had chrome/brightwork for a long time. Todays trucks still dont have as much as back in the day.

No doubt many, if not majority are simply statements and lifestyle vehicles but many like their cake and eat it too.

14684555-1970-ford-f100-std.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

The assembly plant inflates tires to pressures around 75psi to ensure that the bead seat on the tire seals to the rim. The assembly plant does not have time to adjust tire pressures at current line speeds. It has always been specified that the selling dealer will set tire pressure to the door label. In this case for the 4x4, it is 30 psi. As I drove the vehicle home, I noticed sever impact harshness...I knew right away that tire pressures were not set...Yep...all tires were at over 70psi. I called the salesman to inform him of the dealership failure to set tire pressures...he told me that the that was the "factory's" job...I politely told him to check the predelivery check list...Dealership adjusts the tire pressure. Do not blame Ford... When we do rail and haulaway simulator tests, the tires are always inflated to 70 psi as this is the as shipped pressure. This hydraulic controlled simulator looks like the bed of a rail car but can also tie down a haulaway trailer. A drive file taken from actual instrumented vehicles on railcars or haulaways is played, simulating a trip over some of the worst roads or rail lines in the USA. A trip from coast to coast...it is amazing to see what a new vehicle endures before arriving at the dealership!

Shame on my dealer and any dealer that does not check and adjust tire pressures. It is always high on the list of customer complaints on rough or harsh ride....Sheesh!!!!!!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I pretty much agree but trucks have had chrome/brightwork for a long time. Todays trucks still dont have as much as back in the day.

No doubt many, if not majority are simply statements and lifestyle vehicles but many like their cake and eat it too.
Real chrome bumpers from the old days are functional--much more durable than paint or plastic. The chrome colored plastic trim on modern vehicles is...not so functional.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Real chrome bumpers from the old days are functional--much more durable than paint or plastic. The chrome colored plastic trim on modern vehicles is...not so functional.
Precisely why I wanted the Chrome package - to get Chrome bumpers - but it was just too much Chrome for me. I really only wanted Chrome bumpers instead of painted ones. So I will probably end up using clear wrap on my front bumper at least - maybe both. I already have a couple chips in the front bumper. My 14 year old Ranger front bumper looked as good as the day I bought it. WAY more durable.
Sponsored