Pjt1021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Occupation
Machinist
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just replacing the trim or is there body work involved? Mines a 2019 larriat
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Was washing my Ranger today and noticed the plastic trim on the roof deteriorating and breaking off. Anyone have this problem? I've owned the 2019 for less than a year.

IMG_20201023_115411.jpg

IMG_20201023_115406.jpg
maybe someone had a roof rack or something that chipped it away.

Colin Stuffmann

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I just found that same problem this past weekend when cleaning the truck. I'll be calling the dealer latter today.
I’m on my third warranty claim for this problem. This will be the second left trim and one for the right side. And I live in SoCal.

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just replacing the trim or is there body work involved? Mines a 2019 larriat
It's a lot of work because you have to drop the headliner to get to the nut.

Pjt1021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Occupation
Machinist
Vehicle Showcase
Was it warranties fir 3 year bumper to bumper or the 5 year corrosion. My 3 year just expired in March of this year.

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Was it warranties fir 3 year bumper to bumper or the 5 year corrosion. My 3 year just expired in March of this year.
I did it under 3 years but if you see it bubbling and deteriorating with the corrosion underneath. Fight for a warranty claim under the corrosion with your next service visit. Escalate if with Ford if you get denied because I'm pretty sure there was a batch of trim that was poorly manufactured and they know about it.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dave,

No pension....Took a pension buy out many years ago. Had the pension for about 10 years then Financial Advisor told me to take the buyout. So I guess Ford could block my new vehicle purchases on Z plan, but I doubt they would do this...no biggie if they did. The reason I advocate filing with Ford Customer Care is that if enough complaints come in to Ford, then it is likely to land on some Engineer's desk or with Supplier Quality Assurance and corrective action is put in place.

Back Story... I was a design engineer at the time and had Engine Mounts/Trans Mounts and Accelerator Controls for all light trucks. Dealing with production issues was not much of a bother but Shit did hit the fan on the 351M/400 when the plant got a hold of SQA as on the engine dress line the engine mounts were literally falling apart! Yikes....so had some samples air freighted in to my desk. SQA was hounding me for an answer and I noticed right away that there was no adheasive on the lower plate with the stud. SQA immediately when to the supplier plant and found that a forklift had hit one of the adheasive spray nozzles and it was missing the outside row of lower plates before loading into the molds. The problem was corrected and old stock quarentined and sent back to the supplier for scrapping as there was no way short of load testing to verify good parts.... That put the assenbly plant into emergency scheduling trucks with other engines like the 300 six, 302 and the 460 and supplier went into 24/7 mode to catch up.... One of my first panics as a young engineer...Whew!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
thats actually a neat little story!

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
This is what it looks like. Flaked on passenger side and driver side rear you can see it bubbling under the shitty coating.
Most definitely corroded underneath like mine during warranty claim.

Pjt1021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Occupation
Machinist
Vehicle Showcase
Will see what happens on Saturday. I've done alot of business with this dealer. Hopefully they do the right thing. Of not fird customer care will be hearing from me.lol

Colin Stuffmann

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Peter

Clearly a quality issue with the supplier of this part. Warranty should cover without any hassle. If not, file a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care and find another dealer.

The supplier has to demonstrate process capability and somehow in the manufacturing finish process something went wrong.

Sorry to see you have a cosmetic problem such this that should never have happened.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I’m on my 3rd warranty claim on this same part. I live in Los Angeles and seems like one corrodes each year. Have had no issues with warranty. They have to pull the headliner each time they have to replace the trim

Colin Stuffmann

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Most definitely corroded underneath like mine during warranty claim.
It’s the aluminum cap corroding. Have replaced the left front, right front and now put in for the left front again. Each one seems like it lasts about a year before it starts corroding.

Cwbyfan62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work
As long as were talking about the plastic trim on our Rangers, we were weren't we, I have a question. My ranger sits out in the California sun all day, what are the recommendations for maintaining the plastic trim on our trucks?
Sponsored