First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Almost looks like it got hit by something but that would be a strange spot for that.
Not necessarily. We got a double dent in our roof from rocks falling off a passing dump truck.... miserable son of a bitch!

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Almost looks like it got hit by something but that would be a strange spot for that.
Its just a thin piece of plastic. I think it just cracked in the sun and flaked off.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Not necessarily. We got a double dent in our roof from rocks falling off a passing dump truck.... miserable son of a bitch!

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG
Hate being behind around a dump truck so much!

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Was washing my Ranger today and noticed the plastic trim on the roof deteriorating and breaking off. Anyone have this problem? I've owned the 2019 for less than a year.
I wouldn’t call that “deteriorating”. You certainly have lost a piece of that trim, but that looks pretty specific to be something over time. Maybe that’s been there for a real long time and never noticed?

or are you indicating it’s flaking off when you washed it?

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t call that “deteriorating”. You certainly have lost a piece of that trim, but that looks pretty specific to be something over time. Maybe that’s been there for a real long time and never noticed?

or are you indicating it’s flaking off when you washed it?
It's been missing for less than a month. I wash regularly and always wash the roof.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Get with a dealer, should be covered under warranty.

At least on my RWD, that trim is aluminum with what looks like a baked on finish.

Looks like on yous, the finish failed and separated from the rest of the piece.

My local dealer replaced all 6 brackets for the side steps on the wife's FX4 for very similar issues with the finish.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Was washing my Ranger today and noticed the plastic trim on the roof deteriorating and breaking off. Anyone have this problem? I've owned the 2019 for less than a year.

IMG_20201023_115411.jpg

IMG_20201023_115406.jpg
Hi Peter

Clearly a quality issue with the supplier of this part. Warranty should cover without any hassle. If not, file a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care and find another dealer.

The supplier has to demonstrate process capability and somehow in the manufacturing finish process something went wrong.

Sorry to see you have a cosmetic problem such this that should never have happened.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I am almost certain that Ford Customer Care will be sending a hitman out to take care of Phil once and for all because of his recommendations to file formal complaints
Ford should be paying Phil for the help he has provided to the Ranger community ! LOL

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
you mean he's not getting a wicked epic pension?
Hi Dave,

No pension....Took a pension buy out many years ago. Had the pension for about 10 years then Financial Advisor told me to take the buyout. So I guess Ford could block my new vehicle purchases on Z plan, but I doubt they would do this...no biggie if they did. The reason I advocate filing with Ford Customer Care is that if enough complaints come in to Ford, then it is likely to land on some Engineer's desk or with Supplier Quality Assurance and corrective action is put in place.

Back Story... I was a design engineer at the time and had Engine Mounts/Trans Mounts and Accelerator Controls for all light trucks. Dealing with production issues was not much of a bother but Shit did hit the fan on the 351M/400 when the plant got a hold of SQA as on the engine dress line the engine mounts were literally falling apart! Yikes....so had some samples air freighted in to my desk. SQA was hounding me for an answer and I noticed right away that there was no adheasive on the lower plate with the stud. SQA immediately when to the supplier plant and found that a forklift had hit one of the adheasive spray nozzles and it was missing the outside row of lower plates before loading into the molds. The problem was corrected and old stock quarentined and sent back to the supplier for scrapping as there was no way short of load testing to verify good parts.... That put the assenbly plant into emergency scheduling trucks with other engines like the 300 six, 302 and the 460 and supplier went into 24/7 mode to catch up.... One of my first panics as a young engineer...Whew!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Colin Stuffmann

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_20201023_115411.jpg

IMG_20201023_115406.jpg
Mine started corroding and bubbling. Ford replaced in under warranty they had to drop headliner to get to the nuts that are holding it.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Yep. I have an appointment next week for the same thing. It's the rear corner piece on the driver's side. I'm also having them look at the lower front side window molding on both sides. They have faded badly and look splotchy. There is a thread somewhere here where people had them replaced. Apparently, Ford knows there has been a problem with them.
Sponsored