Ford Order Name-Match Policy Is Getting More Strict

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
For those saying Ford and others should use the Tesla model of selling cars, my question is where is my local Tesla service center if I buy one? If there's no Ford, Jeep, etc. dealer around for 100's of miles where would one get warranty work? Just wondering........
Tesla service comes to you... Most repairs are completed in your garage/driveway/parking lot.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

For those saying Ford and others should use the Tesla model of selling cars, my question is where is my local Tesla service center if I buy one? If there's no Ford, Jeep, etc. dealer around for 100's of miles where would one get warranty work? Just wondering........
An authorized Service Center; you're local mechanic authorized by Ford to work on their vehicles. Someone doesn't necessarily need to sell the vehicle to know how to service it or be authorized to do warranty work.

The only issue with Tesla is that it's an electric vehicle and there aren't many service centers or local mechanic shops out there with electric vehicle expertise. But with a standard ICE vehicle, there are thousands of shops around the country capable of working on them.

I work in the aviation industry and that is exactly what we do. We don't have dealers, and only have a couple company owned service centers. Otherwise, there's just service centers out there all over the world that we have vetted and certified to service our airplanes in our stead. It wouldn't be that complicated for Ford to do the same. Heck, that's essentially what the dealership network is. A place vetted by Ford to sell and service their vehicles. So just take away the scam filled selling part and leave the maybe equally scam filled service part (depending on your dealer of course).

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
An authorized Service Center; you're local mechanic authorized by Ford to work on their vehicles. Someone doesn't necessarily need to sell the vehicle to know how to service it or be authorized to do warranty work.

The only issue with Tesla is that it's an electric vehicle and there aren't many service centers or local mechanic shops out there with electric vehicle expertise. But with a standard ICE vehicle, there are thousands of shops around the country capable of working on them.

I work in the aviation industry and that is exactly what we do. We don't have dealers, and only have a couple company owned service centers. Otherwise, there's just service centers out there all over the world that we have vetted and certified to service our airplanes in our stead. It wouldn't be that complicated for Ford to do the same. Heck, that's essentially what the dealership network is. A place vetted by Ford to sell and service their vehicles. So just take away the scam filled selling part and leave the maybe equally scam filled service part (depending on your dealer of course).
When my HVAC actuator went out the other day I had the service manager from my dealer tell me I could get it fixed at any shop as long as they used genuine Ford parts. Because AC is a necessity here and considered an emergency service being summertime and they would cover this under warranty. She did say it could take up to two months to get reimbursed though.

I would love to see a model like you described used as now these dealers are saying to leave your vehicle for a week just so they can look at it. There are of course no loaners now so this is not practical for many who need their vehicles for work and/or only have one.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think the reservation process is to easy and they should up the deposit. How many are putting down the $100 deposit just to say I have a reservation? Then when it comes time to convert it ti an order some dealers aren't requiring anything else down so the customer has no skin in the game. They can cancel or walk away and now the dealer gets punished for it.

It should be a minimum of $500-$1,000 down to convert your reservation to an order and also non refundable. This will weed out a lot of tire kickers and dealers won't get punished so easily for 3 strikes. But, there also needs to be some kind of "out clause" if Ford (or whoever) can't deliver the vehicle in a specific timeframe.
Sponsored