First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Hi all, does anyone have any experience with Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires? At about $140/tire and good reviews, they seem like great value. Although the tread pattern looks more aggressive than the Hankook Dynapros, I also want to make sure whatever tire I buy are a performance upgrade too. A few points that are on my mind:
  • Do they perform better off road than the Dynapros? I definitely don't want M/Ts, but I do like to hit ORV parks and trails so I want a solid A/T tire.
  • They don't have a LT Wildpeak AT3 tire, would that have any substantial effect on towing/hauling? The heaviest thing I would tow would be my project car (~5500 lb max w/ the trailer).
  • I live in Michigan, so the Wildpeaks seem like a good plus with regards to snow and ice.
Other tires I'm considering are KO2's and General Grabber's but I could save $150-250 with the Falkens, so if the performance is there, I don't see why spend the extra cash. Any input/other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, does anyone have any experience with Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires? At about $140/tire and good reviews, they seem like great value. Although the tread pattern looks more aggressive than the Hankook Dynapros, I also want to make sure whatever tire I buy are a performance upgrade too. A few points that are on my mind:
  • Do they perform better off road than the Dynapros? I definitely don't want M/Ts, but I do like to hit ORV parks and trails so I want a solid A/T tire.
  • They don't have a LT Wildpeak AT3 tire, would that have any substantial effect on towing/hauling? The heaviest thing I would tow would be my project car (~5500 lb max w/ the trailer).
  • I live in Michigan, so the Wildpeaks seem like a good plus with regards to snow and ice.
Other tires I'm considering are KO2's and General Grabber's but I could save $150-250 with the Falkens, so if the performance is there, I don't see why spend the extra cash. Any input/other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Had them on my 2014 F-150. to date my favorite all terrain tire. less expensive and longer lasting tread that GY KO2's. Quiet on pavement and great traction off. Awesome in the NE Ohio winters.

My only complaint is the dive in MPG, but this is true for all other all-terrain tires I have used.

OP
OP
doug910

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Had them on my 2014 F-150. to date my favorite all terrain tire. less expensive and longer lasting tread that GY KO2's. Quiet on pavement and great traction off. Awesome in the NE Ohio winters.

My only complaint is the dive in MPG, but this is true for all other all-terrain tires I have used.
That's good to know! Thanks for the feedback. The Dynapros that came fitted OEM are all-terrains as well. I wonder if I'll get a noticeable dive in MPG between the two.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
That's good to know! Thanks for the feedback. The Dynapros that came fitted OEM are all-terrains as well. I wonder if I'll get a noticeable dive in MPG between the two.
Not sure. Check the tire weight. The Falkens weight noticeably more than the stock GY they replaced.

More weight alone equals less MPG

Marty

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4, 2007 GT500, 2015 Mustang, 2016 RAM2500, 2018 Porsche Cayman
I have them on my RAM 2500 4x4 - best tire I have ever had on that truck.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I ordered some for the ranger. Waiting for them to show up. Really reasonably priced too

OP
OP
doug910

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I ordered some for the ranger. Waiting for them to show up. Really reasonably priced too
Let me know how you like them please!

FlRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think I’m leaning towards the Falkens. They are one of very few 275/70/17. It’s that or run the Nitto Riddle Grapplers 285/70/17 and put 1/4 spacers on the front. I just hear such bad things about spacers.....

tmcmaster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, BMW 440,Nissan Frontier
I think I’m leaning towards the Falkens. They are one of very few 275/70/17. It’s that or run the Nitto Riddle Grapplers 285/70/17 and put 1/4 spacers on the front. I just hear such bad things about spacers.....
I took mine to the shop today for a level/lift and planned to put the 285/70/17 Falkens on. I am keeping the stock 17" wheel. It was a no go on the 285 without a spacer. Not a fan of them either. Shop will be getting the 275's tomorrow to see if they fit. Hate to lose the extra inch if tire but don't want spacers or rubbing. I'm putting the ReadyLift 3" SST on. I will try to put a pic up tomorrow when the shop sends me one.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine to the shop today for a level/lift and planned to put the 285/70/17 Falkens on. I am keeping the stock 17" wheel. It was a no go on the 285 without a spacer. Not a fan of them either. Shop will be getting the 275's tomorrow to see if they fit. Hate to lose the extra inch if tire but don't want spacers or rubbing. I'm putting the ReadyLift 3" SST on. I will try to put a pic up tomorrow when the shop sends me one.
I dont think you are losing that much in actual tread width.....

FlRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Why don’t you like spacers? Running 1/4” spacers is so small, I want to believe it’s fine.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
285/70-17...made a great choice...low noise...steering response great and from what I've read (haven't been off road yet), they're very capable off pavement:like:

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Really happy with mine on the truck. So far they’re quiet and ride really well

FlRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
285/70-17...made a great choice...low noise...steering response great and from what I've read (haven't been off road yet), they're very capable off pavement:like:
Are you running spacers for 285s? What’s your set-up?

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Just purchased a set of 265/70's. My buddy's shop set me up and gave me a great deal installed.
However, his antiquated tire machine couldn't handle my sport wheels. Total bummer! Damage would've been the result.
....so, there they sit in the bed. What's everyone paying these days for mount and balance with bringing in your own tires?
...or, ya think Ford points can be used even though you're not buying tires from them? Thoughts? Anyone done the latter?
Look to be a fantastic tire and I'll update here when they're on.
Sponsored