Why I may be selling -

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Been looking to retirement travel as my age and medical issues are catching up and after so many friends and family dying this past year I have decided if I don't do it in the next 10 years I very probably won't do it at all. The maxim, "Here today, gone tomorrow" is definitely playing out in front of us all.

Anyway, projecting out with serious due dilligence into the RV community what makes sense to me as both a practical and doable with a minimum of fuss was either a trailer or Class C to take off for weeks to months at a time. Taking the problematic supply issue and RV warranty work into account I believe my most problem free way forward is neither the stressful trailer or Class C but with a Host or Eagle triple slide out 4000 lb truck camper and a F350/F450 long bed dual wheel PU that I can drop off and use the truck as a daily driver when I need to. Issues aside I can take the ford into any dealership, no so with a class C or A locally or drop the truck camper off If I can't fix it. Warranty issues play on my mind with all the problems germane to RV ownership now if timing were not an issue I would just pass.

**The shock of pricing is that a full size F350/450 is often LESS or not much more than the best selling F150! The camper is about 50-$60,000 New.
Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 16.25.24.png

Eagle Cap.jpeg
Sponsored

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
I think a lot of us here plan on doing something similar. You getting the gas 7.3 dually package with 8 ft bed? I'm curious what you end up choosing. But it seems everyone is having supply issues these days.

1642187559619.png

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I looked into doing this way back in 2016-2017. You're right in getting a 1-ton to carry those huge slide ins. Those suckers weight A LOT!

But don't overlook the health issue part. A truck bed camper requires that you be healthy enough to be climbing up and over that bed, and the camper, and limber enough to be squeezing into tiny bathrooms, and have the flexibility to maintain the mechanical parts of keeping such a camper working properly. Driving such a behemoth is not that easy either. Loading the slide-in on back of your truck takes practice. You're moving around A LOT.

Have you thought about getting the Winnebago Travato instead? It's based on the RAM Promaster van 3500. These big vans (not Class C) is a lot easier to drive, get in and out of, and still be small enough to park in many public spaces in N.A. Which means, you can run errands with them much easier than an F350 Dually. Just my opinion. If I got seriously rich and wanted to mobile living, and have the space to store such large vehicles, I would forego the Truck Camper and go straight to the Class B Campers.

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think a lot of us here plan on doing something similar. You getting the gas 7.3 dually package with 8 ft bed? I'm curious what you end up choosing. But it seems everyone is having supply issues these days.

1642187559619.png
Yes. I favor the new Gasser 7.3 and diesel while superior in many respects costs 10K more and adds additional weight into your GVWR constant RV math we must do to keep safe.

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I looked into doing this way back in 2016-2017. You're right in getting a 1-ton to carry those huge slide ins. Those suckers weight A LOT!

But don't overlook the health issue part. A truck bed camper requires that you be healthy enough to be climbing up and over that bed, and the camper, and limber enough to be squeezing into tiny bathrooms, and have the flexibility to maintain the mechanical parts of keeping such a camper working properly. Driving such a behemoth is not that easy either. Loading the slide-in on back of your truck takes practice. You're moving around A LOT.

Have you thought about getting the Winnebago Travato instead? It's based on the RAM Promaster van 3500. These big vans (not Class C) is a lot easier to drive, get in and out of, and still be small enough to park in many public spaces in N.A. Which means, you can run errands with them much easier than an F350 Dually. Just my opinion. If I got seriously rich and wanted to mobile living, and have the space to store such large vehicles, I would forego the Truck Camper and go straight to the Class B Campers.
The issue is size. We need something big enough for us both to have a computer set up. SHE is working from home 100% of the time now. The internet for me is for personal use. Class B too small. Class C 26-28 is the next level up and stress free compared to trailer pulling in my opinion.

How is life down in MV? My old stomping ground as a Marine in OC. at El Toro.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Are used RVs a good deal or a money pit? My daughter had a diesel pusher her ex bought an it seemed to hold up well. It was around a 2001. He had a brand new toy hauler he sold at a big loss for it.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are used RVs a good deal or a money pit? My daughter had a diesel pusher her ex bought an it seemed to hold up well. It was around a 2001. He had a brand new toy hauler he sold at a big loss for it.
Today they are both a money pit and in demand. Not a problem selling old RV's for very good money like used cars today.

olyeller

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD FX4, 2019 Challenger R/T
Occupation
Retired
3 years ago after my wife died, I sold my house rented a small apartment and bought a very nice 32’ Class C RV and a VW toad to pull behind it. I am now 68. I had an amazing time camping as much as I could which included 2 trips cross country and back to Florida.

I sold my RV early this summer for several reasons. First gas prices went up to the point it was becoming unaffordable at 8-9 miles per gallon. Campgrounds were getting more expensive. 3 years ago, I could average $30-$35 a night. When I sold my RV, it was closer to $45-$50 per night. Also in popular places it was impossible to get a spot without reservations made months to a year prior to my visit. Add in the stress of piloting 50’ of RV and toad and finding gas stations that could accommodate me. It became too much. Finally used RV prices were such in June that I was able to sell my RV for only $2,000 less than I paid for it. That was previously unheard of in the used RV market. I guess covid had at least one positive outcome.

I am leaving in a few days to go to Florida and I’m driving my Ranger Lariat FX4 there. We will be staying in motels along the way. I’ll miss the luxury of sleeping in my own bed every night but I’ll likely get almost 3 times the distance per gallon of fuel and feel much more comfortable over mountain passes and pulling into gas stations. RVing is becoming a young person’s pastime.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
We looked into getting a travel trailer last summer. The prices are sky high right now for both new and used and most of the stuff that's been built since Covid isn't the best of quality. Not that it was all that great quality before but it's a lot worse now so just make sure you are handy and can do a lot of the work yourself.

I did a lot of reading on several rv forums and saw the nightmares some went through trying to get theirs fix whether it was through warranty or just general maintenance. Then add the crowded parks, rude people, screaming kids and higher fuel prices and we decided it wasn't for us right now. Just make sure you really look at what you're getting into because all those Youtube rv videos don't tell the whole story.

Personally I would rent one and see how you like it before getting fully invested in one. Good luck with whatever you decide and you're right, life is way to short so make the best of it!!

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger XLT/‘03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
I’m no where near retirement but the thought of dropping $100k on a rolling vacation just before I enter a fixed income retirement lifestyle would make me think twice.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
I have many years in all kinds of RV’s. A class B or pickup camper I find great for places south or well north of the border. For much of Canada and the US, I prefer a travel trailer or 5th wheel. For all RV’s, I much prefer one piece molded fiberglass. Much less maintenance. Towing my Escape 19 in all kinds of places, I average 15 mpg. For the biggest 4 season fiberglass, a Bigfoot 25, you would probably want a 3/4 ton truck. NorthernLite and Bigfoot both make 4 season pickup campers. I loved my Bigfoot camper, but didn’t like 9 miles to the gallon from my 1998 C2500. Those campers are really better on a one ton.

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
How is life down in MV? My old stomping ground as a Marine in OC. at El Toro.
I was just having a conversation about that with a fellow member.

If you returned to El Toro/Irvine today, you would be shocked at the changes. The Marines brought a lot of down to Earth sensibility to the area, as well as the awareness and respect for the Military and the service they provide. That's all gone. We miss the big helicopters and F/A-18's buzzing by daily. We loved the sounds of Freedom! The yearly air show was a treat. All that have moved to San Diego area.

MV is still very pleasant to live in, with mostly good people, and has dodged the bullet with too many high density apartment complexes. But everywhere here is much more crowded. Lots of high density apartments and condo's everywhere in Irvine, El Toro, Tustin, Laguna Hills, etc. Summertime traffic SUCKS donkey balls. Especially on weekends. Everyone wants to buy a Tesla. But that's fine by me because I can be reasonably assured those people are not out overlanding their electric Teslas in my favorite outdoor areas. :wink:

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was just having a conversation about that with a fellow member.

If you returned to El Toro/Irvine today, you would be shocked at the changes. The Marines brought a lot of down to Earth sensibility to the area, as well as the awareness and respect for the Military and the service they provide. That's all gone. We miss the big helicopters and F/A-18's buzzing by daily. We loved the sounds of Freedom! The yearly air show was a treat. All that have moved to San Diego area.

MV is still very pleasant to live in, with mostly good people, and has dodged the bullet with too many high density apartment complexes. But everywhere here is much more crowded. Lots of high density apartments and condo's everywhere in Irvine, El Toro, Tustin, Laguna Hills, etc. Summertime traffic SUCKS donkey balls. Especially on weekends. Everyone wants to buy a Tesla. But that's fine by me because I can be reasonably assured those people are not out overlanding their electric Teslas in my favorite outdoor areas. :wink:
Yes, i am sure I would not recognize it and still my exit off Sand Canyon if it is still there!

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After slogging through the RV and new Truck dealers (wanting 5-10K over MSRP) Why? I am already tired of the BS. Low tolerance and patience now. I have a few years of RV knowledge that I keep to myself during discussions with generally unqualified sales people that have no idea of what they are trying to sell. For the most part they are and never have been RV'ers or Owners. Combine the already hard before Covid ability to get warranty work done with the supply of parts shortage and too many people out there and too few places and costs involved I am shelving the $150,000 buy in and keeping my Ranger and will load my S/O into that with our ebikes or into the new 2021 Blue Bronco and take off for AirBNB for 2-4 weeks at a time to see the country. Plan B thus far. Should be solidified after this weekend HUGE RV show taking place in Seattle. Way less Stress involved. Thanks for all the input! Adapt, improvise and overcome.
?

Last edited:

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Yes, i am sure I would not recognize it and still my exit off Sand Canyon if it is still there!
It's still there. That area is now filled with expensive high density condo's and townhomes. Irvine has a ton of HD complexes now. I stay away from that area...too many damn cars making it very annoying to drive around in. I remember when I could drive on Laguna Canyon road from Irvine and there would be nothing but enjoyable 2 lane backroads! Not anymore!
Sponsored