First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
I have a new 2021 Ranger and plan to install a TBC in the next few weeks. I am liking the Redarc Tow-Pro Liberty.
I would like to make use of the brake light signal but, am not liking having to snake wires through the Ranger.
Is there another way?
I have been reading some of the back threads and am getting confused by it.

Also, besides the BC itself, do I need to buy anything else?

thx
Sponsored

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercab 4x2
If you use the Redarc Liberty (as I have), you'll just use the four wires under the dash.

As far as I know, only the Ford module needs to go to the third brake light for the extra Lumen module. I'm guessing if the third brake light would work on its own as the signal wire, then the Ford TBC wouldn't need the Lumen module at all. I'm no expert by any means though.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My install is the same as this one. I just used the Liberty instead of the Elite.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I also have a 2021 and will be getting the Redarc Elite for my Ranger. It's the standard Elite, not the Ford "Ranger" version. The only way to utilize the brake light signal is to buy the Ford version.
Otherwise, the regular Elite, or even the Liberty version, simply hooks up to the 4 brake controller wires under the dash...4 wires from the brake controller to the 4 wires under the dash, Nothing else is needed.
But as many others have noted, your safety stuff will need to be turned off...if you leave it on, the truck may brake, but the trailer brakes will not function, thus the weight of the trailer and it's momentum will still act on pushing the truck forward.
If your used to towing with a regular brake controller on a previous vehicle than you will not notice any difference...the Ranger will tow and brake just like any other vehicle with a brake controller activating the trailer brakes.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I have a new 2021 Ranger and plan to install a TBC in the next few weeks. I am liking the Redarc Tow-Pro Liberty.
I would like to make use of the brake light signal but, am not liking having to snake wires through the Ranger.
Is there another way?
I have been reading some of the back threads and am getting confused by it.

Also, besides the BC itself, do I need to buy anything else?

thx
The Redarc Tow-Pro Elite is the same controller used in the Ford kit. The Ford Kit just adds the Lumen box to tie into the Center High Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL). I have just the Tow-Pro Elite as the Ford kit was not out yet when I bought my truck and needed to tow my TT. Not sure the difference between the Elite and the Liberty, may be the manual breaking mode. They probably work the same in normal proportional mode. There have been some people that have said they tied into the brake light signal under the dash, it involves splicing into the harness under the dash near the PCU and adding a diode to prevent back feeding voltage into the PCU. Not something for the faint of heart. The ony things you lose by just using the 4 wires under the dash are trailer braking with adaptive cruise control (ACC) and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) in the event you collision avoidance goes off. You really shouldn't be using ACC while towing anyway and if you are paying attention like you should when towing you probably will never see the AEB go off.

The Redarc units are nice because they don't take up a lot of space in the cab and are simple to use.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Liberty is just proportional and manual if you hold the button. It doesn't have the mode where you can set a preset output value when you press the brake pedal. My understanding is that that is useful off-roading. Proportional was all I needed, so I went with the liberty to save a few $.

OP
OP

albireo13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Ugh what a mess.
There is no way to get the CHMSL signal without pulling trim and fishing a wire?

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
I read there is a way to get to the CHMSL siginal under the steering wheel, but your going to have to cut to tap a wire. but I don't have the link

OP
OP

albireo13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
I found the link after some searching:
fuse panel approach

I am not sure which approach to use for the install. In any case, I don't trust my local Ford dealer for the install. I talked to their service dept about the BC and they seemed clueless. I don't want them learning to do the install using my Ranger as their practice.

Curious, I had read somewhere about someone adding a diode in series with the wiring when splicing into the wiring. Is this necessary?

In any case, I think I will go ahead and order the VKB3Z-2C006A.
I may have to bite the bullet and mess with the trim. :(

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
The ony things you lose by just using the 4 wires under the dash are trailer braking with adaptive cruise control (ACC) and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) in the event you collision avoidance goes off. You really shouldn't be using ACC while towing anyway and if you are paying attention like you should when towing you probably will never see the AEB go off.

The Redarc units are nice because they don't take up a lot of space in the cab and are simple to use.
For clarification - Are you saying that the trailer brakes won't be activated in those situations? Will the truck brakes still respond to ACC and AEB even with a trailer connected?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
For clarification - Are you saying that the trailer brakes won't be activated in those situations? Will the truck brakes still respond to ACC and AEB even with a trailer connected?
Yes, that is correct. The truck brakes will activate but not the trailer. The trailer will continue to push the truck. Currently the only built-in brake controller that will activate the trailer brakes in these situations is the Ford kit. The Curt Echo is supposed to also active the trailer brake because it is activated by sensing the brake lights at the trailer connection. All other controllers are activated by the switch at the brake pedal.

Note: I call it the "Ford kit" because it is really a Redarc controller with a Ford proprietary Lumen module to condition the signal from the CHMSL.

TeaWrecks

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
This appears to be the case. Trailer won't brake, truck will.

Jeff in Ohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX2
After doing extensive research looking at my own truck and the multitude of factory wiring diagrams, here is the be all end all of trailer brake controllers.

XL models without co-pilot 360 AND without the factory tow package:
-These do NOT have the four wires under the driver kick panel to connect a trailer brake controller to. You will need to run wires into the cab for your Redarc module.
-Activation of the trailer turn signals and trailer brake lights is done by relays in the main fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. The trailer back up lights are also controlled by a relay in this location. The truck DOES NOT know when you have a trailer connected.
-There is a main harness connector (C422) on the drivers side frame rail. It connects everything from the back of the truck to the front of the truck. The wire harness that goes to the back DOES have the 10 ga blue wire in pin location 18 that is for trailer brakes. The same wire harness DOES have the 6 ga orange wire in pin location 19 for 12V power to a trailer. The problem is the other side of the connecter that comes from the front of the truck...it has small gauge (14 or 16) grey wires in both pin locations. These grey wires go nowhere as they are heat shrinked over up in the harness. Do not go looking for them as you cannot use them because the wire is too small. Any grey wires coming out of Ford connectors are dead ended in the harness at somepoint...that is they go nowhere. They are just filling in empty pin spaces in the connector. In order to use a 7 pin trailer connector and trailer brake controller, you will have to splice into the orange and blue wire after this connector in order to have 12V trailer power and trailer brakes. Obviously the blue wire would go to your trailer brake controller, the orange wire must go to the battery with a fuse on it. Be aware, if you run the orange wire this way, the 12V at the 7 pin will always now be 'hot'. All other trailer light functions will work.
-Co-Pilot 360 gets you the additional wiring that is missing above and MAYBE a TRM module (see below for what a TRM module is). The factory tow package gets you the additional wiring that is missing above and a TRM module. If you are frugal like me and bought an XL without both of these options, the above its your reality for installing a brake controller. If you have either of these options....drop to the next section...you are lucky....

All other trim levels:
-You DO have the four wire under the driver kick panel to connect a trailer brake controller to. Follow the instructions for your controller.
-Activation of the trailer items is done by the TRM module located under the passenger side kick panel. Some people mistakenly think this is a brake module...it is NOT....TRM is "Trailer Lighting Module". It controls the trailer turn signals, and stop lights. It also turns off the orange 12V to the trailer when the truck is off after the accessory power timer expires. The TRM module is also what lets the truck know you have a trailer connected to the truck. Trailer back up lights are still controlled by a relay. Matter of fact, you may actually have all the relays in your engine fuse box, but your truck is programmed to use the TRM for trailer light functions and NOT the relays (except for back up lights)
-Both sides of the C422 connector mentioned above have all the wires needed going to front and back of truck.

A word on the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) and brake controllers:
-Ford uses the CHMSL and the Lumen module because the signal to the CHMSL from the truck is pulse width modulated. The Lumen module takes this pulse width modulated signal and converts it into a regular digital (on/off) signal that the Redarc can use for brake indication. Ford uses the CHMSL because the truck computer lights it up when the Automatic Emergency Braking or the Adaptive Cruise Control applies the brakes instead of you stepping on the brakes. If you choose not to use the Ford Lumen module, turn these features off (and pay attention when you are driving!) and tie into output of the brake pedal position switch for a signal to your trailer brake controller. This is the 'violate with white stripe' wire coming out of connector C278 on the brake pedal.

Common Questions:
-If I have and XL without co-pilot 360 AND without the factory tow package, can I add a TRM module and then use FORSCAN to program to make the truck use this instead of the underhood trailer light relays. The answer is NO. The main dash wiring harness doe NOT have the connectors needed to plug into a TRM module.

-I am electrical by nature and know my way around a connector. can I take apart the front side of C422, remove the small gauge grey wires and replace them with the correct gauge blue and orange wires? The current answer is NO. Ford does not currently sell individual pins or individual wire pigtail kits for the positions you need for this connector. They will sell you the entire connector for a very large sum. The male (front) connector is KU2Z-14S411-TA. Details on these connectors can be found in documentation Safety Recall 19S43 if you are curious as to how they come apart and what the pin positions are.

-I have 2021+ XL model with the STX Special Edition Package but do NOT have Co-Pilot and do NOT have the factory trailer tow package. This package DOES give you the 8" LCD touchscreen, SYNC3 and Dual zone Electronic Climate Control. This means you probably DO have the main dash harness that would have connections for a TRM module, but you may NOT have the actual module.... you will have to pop off the passenger kick panel and look. You may also have the 4 wires under the drivers kick panel...once again, take a look.

Last edited:
OP
OP

albireo13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
I went ahead and ordered the VKB3Z-2C006A along with a 331-TPS1-003 round mounting plate for the knob. I also scheduled time with my local mechanic for the install, in case I don't have time to do it myself. I trust him more than Ford service dept.
Sponsored