how to get new keys made if you don't have a key code that supposedly comes with the keys when new.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I used to work for Ford up until 2018. The code is also in the passenger foot panel (right) under the dash. Remove the panel and it’s there. Don’t ask me why they put it there it’s just there unless they decided to change the location. Been there since 2011 from what I can remember.
You mean the kick panel right?
Here?
1623762605680.png
Sponsored

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Damn I don’t think I realized what that tag was and now it lives at my local landfill.

I should mention that your dealer was probably correct that only a vin is needed. It would be a nightmare support prospect if everyone has to keep that little tag. My dealer didn’t even mention the tag so I’m sure it was inconsequential. When I needed a new key for my 2017 expedition only a VIN was needed. I think you’re fine.

Last edited:

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Guys I used to make a living off of "lost all keys" and all the dealer needs is a VIN and proof of ownership. I imagine locksmiths will do the same.
It's what we called in my biz was "reseed"
This was very common and expensive too!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
One reason that there is a lot of confusion is some trucks have a flip out key fob and others have a no key fob.

When you get a rental you get two sets of keys and fobs all tied together. If you lose this mess it can cost you big bucks.

Does all of this complicated and expensive stuff stop thieves NOPE.

Scarcar22

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
USMC/USA Veteran
Vehicle Showcase
You mean the kick panel right?
Here?
1623762605680.png
My bad. Yes sir the kick panel. There should be a white sticker with a couple of rows of numbers. One is the vin or part, the second should be a door code if you have the buttons on driver side and the third should be your key code.

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
This thread made me think I should look for my code. Found it! It was floating around in the bottom of the glove box. Not sure where to put it now, keep it in the truck or up with the spare key. Almost makes sense to keep it in the truck but at the same time maybe not. I did make note of it in notes in my iPhone. Oh and by the way one of the digits was a 9. For reference my truck is the 2019 XLT.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Update!!!! Success!!! Got the key fob off Amazon for 40$. Got a chip key off Amazon as well for 20$. Had my local locksmith who laser cuts, cut the keys to match original. Then I programmed using my ignition!!!! Mine is a 2021. I put the first original in ignition till the airbag light went off, inserted next original and waited same then inserted new fob. Success! Message comes up saying key programming successful. I then used my new fob I just programmed to program the new chip key that doesn't have a fob. Same way. Worked!!! So u don't need both original keys. In fact, as long as u have two, u r golden. Ford wanted 250$ for just a fob lolol. My guy wanted 10$. Total. He even did my girlfriends fob and made a key to just open doors as she only has one key and the car wasn't there. I gave him 40$ for all of it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This thread made me think I should look for my code. Found it! It was floating around in the bottom of the glove box. Not sure where to put it now, keep it in the truck or up with the spare key. Almost makes sense to keep it in the truck but at the same time maybe not. I did make note of it in notes in my iPhone. Oh and by the way one of the digits was a 9. For reference my truck is the 2019 XLT.
I would take a picture of it too, this way you have it in your phone album. I usually email myself things like this and make a folder for them on my laptop. It's also good to do this with other important codes like safe combos. I have these in a special folder and my gf knows how to access this in case something ever happens to me.. My neighbors wife is going through this now as he passed away unexpectedly and she has no idea where the code to his safe is or how to access a lot of things that he always did.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Does the chip key set and unset the alarm?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Update!!!! Success!!! Got the key fob off Amazon for 40$. Got a chip key off Amazon as well for 20$. Had my local locksmith who laser cuts, cut the keys to match original. Then I programmed using my ignition!!!! Mine is a 2021. I put the first original in ignition till the airbag light went off, inserted next original and waited same then inserted new fob. Success! Message comes up saying key programming successful. I then used my new fob I just programmed to program the new chip key that doesn't have a fob. Same way. Worked!!! So u don't need both original keys. In fact, as long as u have two, u r golden. Ford wanted 250$ for just a fob lolol. My guy wanted 10$. Total. He even did my girlfriends fob and made a key to just open doors as she only has one key and the car wasn't there. I gave him 40$ for all of it.
Ive got your Amazon Key arriving Monday, so that's good news!
I did not realize we could program ourselves with 2 known keys, good to know!
so double thanks.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
And @silverflash
Which $40 key fob did you get off AMAZON? Always nice to buy a confirmed working with Ranger product!

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
THe new fob key does yes, sets and unsets. The chipped key spare without buttons won't engage alarm but if you use it to open the truck when the alarm was set prior with the fob, the dash will tell you to insert key to start truck to avoid alarm going off and that works. I tested it.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
And @silverflash
Which $40 key fob did you get off AMAZON? Always nice to buy a confirmed working with Ranger product!
The one that looks just like ours. Compare your fcc id that's in the groove where the blade is to the ones on Amazon.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Ive got your Amazon Key arriving Monday, so that's good news!
I did not realize we could program ourselves with 2 known keys, good to know!
so double thanks.
Yeah. Dealer said you couldn't do that since 2018. Lolol. Lies. You can. I just did it on my 2021. Also, as long as you have one key, even what they call a clone, you can make more. At any place that cuts the key. Then you can program it yourself as long as you have two keys. Any two chipped keys I think. It definitely worked for me using one original and the new fob I had cut and then I programmed. So you don't need both originals. That's a lie.

parkranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith
It used to be easy to get a key cut, no info needed but the code, then in the late 80's or early 90's when that actress was killed by someone who got a key to her car cut, they made it a law to prove ownership.
Unaware of any such law. It must be a state law, and Maine is like the Wild West of the East. ?

I've been a locksmith since 1999. We cut keys by code upon request without any requirements unless it is a restricted key.

A key cut to code would still not start our trucks (or any modern vehicle). The key still needs to be programmed, and that requires plugging into the ODBII with a programmer.

The 48 bit code the transponder uses for communication has magnitudes more possibilities for uniqueness than the physical cuts of the key. Somewhere out there every key has a doppelganger with a different code but the same cuts. It might be for a focus or an explorer, lots of Ford's use this same key blade and cut specifications for many models over many years, even if the heads/remote parts are different.

Any decent automotive locksmith can pick and decode a door lock with a Lishi decoder, or take a door panel off to remove a door lock to decode. They do not need the key code at all. Often, starting from scratch, the automotive locksmith can make you working keys faster and for less $$$ than the stealer when you lose your keys.

The dealership here hires a locksmith to come once a week to make duplicates and replacement keys. The dealer receives a bulk discount and does NOT pass it along ?.
Sponsored