how to get new keys made if you don't have a key code that supposedly comes with the keys when new.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Thanks Tom!
I have the lower one, but not the upper. The back side of mine has a sticker with what may be the key code or its the inventory #, a bar code of this number, and the VIN.
The number in question is T999999 (letter T with 6 digits) is your key code in this format?
No, nothing like that. The top label I posted has a 5 digit code and a bar code. That 5 digit code doesn't match anything on the bottom label. The bottom label has a 6 digit code on top (2 letters, 4 digits), and an 8 digit code on the bottom (2 I mean 3 letters, and 5 digits). On the back is a QR code, and a 12 alpha-numeric code, like this xxxx-yyyyyy-zz. None of the codes on the labels appear to match up with the other.

ADDED: Oh, the 8 digit code on the front bottom of the 2nd label matched the last 8 digits of the VIN.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
So I went to my local locksmith. He cut me two keys. Sunny keys that open the doors and stuff but wont start it for 10$ total. He also gave me my keycode and he got it off the original key he said. Lol. He did in 8 minutes what my Ford dealer still can't do. He also said he would make me a fob key and program for 10$ if I provide the fob. 40$ on Amazon.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
So I went to my local locksmith. He cut me two keys. Sunny keys that open the doors and stuff but wont start it for 10$ total. He also gave me my keycode and he got it off the original key he said. Lol. He did in 8 minutes what my Ford dealer still can't do. He also said he would make me a fob key and program for 10$ if I provide the fob. 40$ on Amazon.
Thanks Bill
I need to see if any locksmiths around me still exist!
Phil did say you could read the key code off the key. I didn't follow how to do it, but I would hope a locksmith would!
There is a non-remote key availabe that will start your truck, needs to be programed to truck also.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Bill
Phil did say you could read the key code off the key. I didn't follow how to do it, but I would hope a locksmith would!
There is a non-remote key availabe that will start your truck, needs to be programed to truck also.
Hi Mike,

Yes...there are 5 unique Triangular notch depths numbered 1 through with 5 being the deepest as I recall. and each key has 5 notch locations.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
I did not know about the key code. Thanks guys! Just secured it from the spare key tag the dealer gave me.

Whitemtncruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
A competent locksmith can make you a fully functional key/fob without the code. My local Ford dealership wanted $225 +$50 programming fee for a key for my 2019 Ranger. A locksmith charged $175 for the same service.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
OP. You asked what happens if you lose both keys. Someone more knowledgeable than I please chime in, but it is my understanding you don't really "program" the keys, your vehicle has a number of positions for keys available in the ECU and the vehicle recognizes the unique chip in the key, comparing it to one programmed in the ECU slot. If you lose both keys the vehicle must be towed to the dealer, hooked up via the OBD port, the key memory cleared, and new keys recognized. With the new type of keys, not all dealers are able to "grind" a key and may have to send the key out or get new key(s) from FMC. Part of the reason new keys are so expensive.

One more back story. Years ago my Mother and sister were in a city 30 miles from our home shopping for cloths for the school year. It happened to be the ONLY time in 11 years the keys were ever taken out of my parents late 50s Ford Fairlane 500 (small town - never took the keys from the car). When they returned they got into a black Ford 500 and drove off before realizing it wasn't theirs. Quickly returned to the parking space only to find it now occupied. What to do? They drove to the police station only to find a woman in panic that her car had been "stolen." All was made right and my Mother laughed about it until the day she died. Another friend also had a 500 he bought used and the key was also interchangeable with my parents Ford. Not exactly a theft-proof time.

With the former cut keys with there appears to be about 10 contact points on the key. Those point at the end of the key (4-5) are for the door lock, and the inner 4-5 position are for the ignition (that may be reversed, can't remember). If you have one of these in an older Ford be sure and lube and use the door locks once-in-awhile since the back to the lock is open to the inside of the door and over time the small amount of water that gets in the door will rust the lock to the point when you need it....

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Bill
Apex lock and key, Mike. used them many times. Great service.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
So the key code. Is it 5 digits 0-9?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
the locksmith who made me a dummy key found a 7. As did the dealer. But 5 digits. So maybe it's 0-9 now?
Hi,

Quite possible now... My Ranger Key code does not show more than a 5, but if you have a 7 it very likely the side cut is a higher number of cuts. Sorry for the misinformation...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Scarcar22

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
USMC/USA Veteran
Vehicle Showcase
so my 2021 ranger didn't come with the key code that page 53 of the manual says to keep in a safe place. is this a big deal if i were ever to need another key made? Say if i lost both original keys. can i get a key made without the key code and if so, how many hoops are there to jump through? is there a cost besides actually making and programming the key in that case?

my dealer says he doesn't know what i am talking about as new cars don't come with key codes he says. manual says otherwise. he says just come in with vin and they can cut a key and program it. their parts are closed but i'd bet if i called 10 dealers i'd get 10 different answers.

thoughts?
I used to work for Ford up until 2018. The code is also in the passenger foot panel (right) under the dash. Remove the panel and it’s there. Don’t ask me why they put it there it’s just there unless they decided to change the location. Been there since 2011 from what I can remember.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
There seems to be some confusion. Everywhere. I am talking about the code the manual says you get, on page 53 of the 2021 ranger owners manual. That comes or should come with your keys. Not a code for the touchpad thing you can option for, that mounts to the drivers door. Manual says keep the code in a safe place for future reference. Nobody can seem to answer what happens if you don't have that code. Seems like it's a relic of years past. Dealer said ford stopped sending that info 6 or more months ago. I had a locksmith guy cut me a dummy key no issues. He found a code off my key that is 5 digits and has a 7 in it. Is that the "key code"? If so, then what's the purpose of a card with that same number on it? Maybe if you lose both or all keys? May r without that code you have to go to dealer to have them create a new key? Maybe with the code it's easy to get anyone to create a key and program? That locksmith told me that he can cut for 10$ and program free. He even said I could. I said to him that some people say you can no longer program using both original keys yourself via the ignition switch. He said he did 2021 f150 same way no problems. Lots of misinformation out there. Story of our times. I ordered and received a chipped key without a fob. Also ordered a fob off Amazon. 40$. He mentioned those as working. Plan is to have someone cut the chipped key then I will try to program it via ignition switch. Then I will report back.
Sponsored