Spare Key 2019 Ford Ranger

rcspott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Range XLT
Want a spare key with chip to hide under truck that will open and start my truck. Ford wants $116+/- to order the key. It will be cut but not programed to the truck. Has anyone used the You Tube tutorial successfully to program a key. In my area nobody will cut an internet key. Wondering about any other options/ideas.

Thanks
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Want a spare key with chip to hide under truck that will open and start my truck. Ford wants $116+/- to order the key. It will be cut but not programed to the truck. Has anyone used the You Tube tutorial successfully to program a key. In my area nobody will cut an internet key. Wondering about any other options/ideas.

Thanks
Didn't your truck come with two keys?

OP
OP

rcspott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Range XLT
Didn't your truck come with two keys?
Yes it do but I don’t want to put that one taped under the truck. I’m really curious if anyone has programmed their own key, before I buy the key.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it do but I don’t want to put that one taped under the truck. I’m really curious if anyone has programmed their own key, before I buy the key.
If you don't succeed in getting a third key, you can place your second key in this...
817fZwUfo-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't succeed in getting a third key, you can place your second key in this...
817fZwUfo-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I second this idea - I bought one of these for when I go hiking and it has worked out exceptionally well. The only glitch is that I have to remove the keyring from my Lariat Fob and just put the fob in the hitch safe. The fob is so big it won't fit with the keyring attached. I just leave the keyring in the truck. Works great.

I wish I could by a new fob and program it myself. On my 2005 I lost a fob and bought a new one on Amazon for < $10 and was able to program it myself with a working fob. I don't think I can do that with this truck.

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
So on the new Rangers you can't program your own keys anymore you need to use the specialized ford software. When I tried to get a key programmed from a local locksmith his several thousand dollar programming tool did not work and I had to go to the dealership and pay $100 to get it programmed. It's possible ford has released their software for locksmith use more widely now but still you need the computer to reprogram rather than the turn the key 7 times type of trick.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Not wanting to skirt your question, but I intend to install a wireless, keyless entry pad on my 2020. The $100 part is waiting at my dealership and I will probably mount it to the inside of the fuel fill door (which another member here suggested). It is also my intent to purchase the part using my Ford pass rewards and to program it using ForScan. The hitch setup MS suggests is slick too.
This should fit my needs nicely (provided the truck's battery isn't dead).

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not wanting to skirt your question, but I intend to install a wireless, keyless entry pad on my 2020. The $100 part is waiting at my dealership and I will probably mount it to the inside of the fuel fill door (which another member here suggested). It is also my intent to purchase the part using my Ford pass rewards and to program it using ForScan. The hitch setup MS suggests is slick too.
This should fit my needs nicely (provided the truck's battery isn't dead).
I don't believe you can program the keypad with FORScan - I believe it has to be programmed by the dealer. If I could have programmed one using FORScan, I would probably have gone that route rather than my hitch safe.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't believe you can program the keypad with FORScan - I believe it has to be programmed by the dealer. If I could have programmed one using FORScan, I would probably have gone that route rather than my hitch safe.
I visited another thread here on the subject and yes, indeed other members had the dealer program it, programming via ForScan was not possible.
DentonB did say that there is an installation charge of $12.50 for the pad, an incredible bargain. I certainly hope that this charge includes programming the pad, and not just sticking it on somewhere on the truck, I'll call my dealer's service dept. to verify. In my locale, the charge is just $12.00, a savings of fifty cents!
Check it out yourself on Ford's accessory site, you do need to specify a particular dealer to obtain the installed price, however.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn't you just put a spare key inside your truck and open it with the Ford App on your phone?
If you have cell service where you are, that is definitely an option - for me, when I'm hiking I rarely have cell service at Trailheads so it was not an option.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Couldn't you just put a spare key inside your truck and open it with the Ford App on your phone?

Never tried it on the Ranger but on our other vehicle it is not possible to lock your key in the car. The vehicle knows it and wont lock so you do not accidentally lock the key in the car.

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Never tried it on the Ranger but on our other vehicle it is not possible to lock your key in the car. The vehicle knows it and wont lock so you do not accidentally lock the key in the car.
I can confirm you can, did it yesterday when I went skiing.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
You can't easily lock your keys in the car using the key fob, but you can do so with another mechanism like the keypad or app.
Sponsored