First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Really appreciate your input, thank you!

So for daily-driving settings targeting fuel economy, I will keep the electric hand pump I use to top up the pressure, set at 39 PSI on cold tires.

I'm a lifelong dual-sport motorcyclist but this is my first truck. And I had only driven off-road properly once before buying it (in a Toyota FJ Cruiser while mine exploring near the Death Valley). I got lucky I had a crash course from a very experienced friend so I could figure out some of the comfortable limits of a stock Tremor, but I learn all the time (on the trails, or online).
I'm still very new to the off-roading hobby and so far my Tremor has visited two State Vehicular Recreation Areas (OVH parks) in California, and off-roaded historical mining trails in northern Nevada near Virginia City.

Based on your input, I think I will reset my tire deflators to 25 PSI cold for now.
But then again, since we usually deflate when the tires are hot, is it something I should set to 30 PSI hot? That sounds a little more complicated to achieve ?
In my experience the easiest way to set the 4 deflators to a specific setting was to adjust one while the tires were cold, and use calipers (or visual length check) to adjust the other three.

I hope more 4x4 Experts will chime in and share their thoughts on the matter...
Typically you can just subtract 4-5PSI from a hot tire for the cold PSI. Best thing to do for a ballpark is to monitor your tire PSI in the cluster at startup vs hot.
Sponsored

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
39... not a single complaint other than when you remove these tires, replace them with Kuhmo Crugens in the same size, you end up getting just about 2 mpg better. I moved the Generals to aftermarket wheels that'll only go on when off-roading or trails are in the picture... otherwise... don't see the point in rolling around with off-road tires just to look cool. I'm well-endowed enough not to need to. :giggle:

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Typically you can just subtract 4-5PSI from a hot tire for the cold PSI. Best thing to do for a ballpark is to monitor your tire PSI in the cluster at startup vs hot.
Then I probably should calibrate my deflators to 30 PSI hot.
I've had a look and my 39 PSI cold tend to go to 43-44 PSI hot on warm Californian days.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Then I probably should calibrate my deflators to 30 PSI hot.
I've had a look and my 39 PSI cold tend to go to 43-44 PSI hot on warm Californian days.
Depending on the terrain I would go a lot lower than 30 psi off road and you won't hurt your tires. Actually if you're in rocky terrain you could puncture them easier at a higher psi. For daily driving every tire manufacturer has different specs so it's best to check with them, if they're stock just follow what's on the door tag.

For off roading I usually set mine right at 18 psi. Even these Staun deflators come preset at 18 psi which is a good starting point. I mostly do rocky terrain so that's a good pressure to start with. For sand you should go down even more. IIRC you can go down to about 10-12 psi before you have to worry about the tire coming off the bead. If you're really into off roading it's best to invest in some beadlock wheels. Here's a good video which explains different pressure settings for different types of terrain.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Regarding how low can you go, this was a good video. Man, miss the videos but can't blame his reason for retiring the channel.

There are tons of videos on this subject but it also matters on your sidewall height and all that good stuff. I wont say 18psi is too low but I would for sure keep it slow on trails at that psi. 24-28psi is a good ballpark for trails I would say.

setting them to 30psi as mentioned earlier is probably too high to be worth it, I would probably do 26psi hot to start. For sand I have always heard just about everyone that 18psi is the starting point, under 20psi generally. I havent had issues on sand at 26psi though but if I did I would lower that pressure for sure.

(Edit: I want to add that I am just mentioning starting points. Maybe the sweet spot is 20psi, 24, etc. I mention hot temps because who is going to roll up to a trail and let the tires cool to measure psi.)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Regarding how low can you go, this was a good video. Man, miss the videos but can't blame his reason for retiring the channel.

There are tons of videos on this subject but it also matters on your sidewall height and all that good stuff. I wont say 18psi is too low but I would for sure keep it slow on trails at that psi. 24-28psi is a good ballpark for trails I would say.

setting them to 30psi as mentioned earlier is probably too high to be worth it, I would probably do 26psi hot to start. For sand I have always heard just about everyone that 18psi is the starting point, under 20psi generally. I havent had issues on sand at 26psi though but if I did I would lower that pressure for sure.

(Edit: I want to add that I am just mentioning starting points. Maybe the sweet spot is 20psi, 24, etc. I mention hot temps because who is going to roll up to a trail and let the tires cool to measure psi.)

If you're doing fire roads or anything similar than yes you don't have to go down to 18 psi because you're probably going to be going 30 mph or more. Most times on those types of roads/trails I won't even bother to get out and air down but sometimes I regret it because the trail can change and you get tossed around more. When I go out I'm usually only going under 20 mph and in some areas 5-10 mph, I like going over more rocky terrain. I haven't been out in sand in a long time and seeing as it never really rains here I don't think I've seen mud in 10 years. lol

Those Aussies make some really good videos!

We were up in Sedona here and I was down to 18 psi

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
If you're doing fire roads or anything similar than yes you don't have to go down to 18 psi because you're probably going to be going 30 mph or more. Most times on those types of roads/trails I won't even bother to get out and air down but sometimes I regret it because the trail can change and you get tossed around more. When I go out I'm usually only going under 20 mph and in some areas 5-10 mph, I like going over more rocky terrain. I haven't been out in sand in a long time and seeing as it never really rains here I don't think I've seen mud in 10 years. lol

Those Aussies make some really good videos!

We were up in Sedona here and I was down to 18 psi

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg
Does your truck have stock tire size? Or did you do a level and larger size?

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I went up one size to 265/70/17 and a RC 2.5" level.
Nice. I wonder if a trail like that would be possible with stock tire size? A little nervous to go off road with it still, but also don't wanna upsize anything yet. That's about the extent of off roading I would ever do probably lol.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I went up one size to 265/70/17 and a RC 2.5" level.
Man now that is a nice looking trail!! Generally the ones I have been on are not as rocky so you are right there. When it is washboard I lower it down more than 26psi but generally keep it above 20psi because of the speed elsewhere on the trail is 15+ mph.

I am hoping to get on more challenging trails now that I have the Ranger but the end goal is still usually for camping purposes. Problem is now that we have a travel trailer, my wife has booked a lot of my free time with that rather than tent camping away from people.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So equivalent to our stock Tremor General Grabbers A/Tx LT 265/70 R 17
Yes but the Nitto's are 31.65" and I'm not sure if the Grabbers are a "true" 32". It won't make much of a difference off road but some tires will rub with that extra diameter.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Nice. I wonder if a trail like that would be possible with stock tire size? A little nervous to go off road with it still, but also don't wanna upsize anything yet. That's about the extent of off roading I would ever do probably lol.
I never took mine off road with the stock tires. I saw a few members who has punctured their sidewall just doing some light off roading so I changed mine out at 1000 miles. I think if you're just doing something less rocky you're good. Rob @RedlandRanger still has the stock tires and does a lot of fire roads with his without any issues.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I never took mine off road with the stock tires. I saw a few members who has punctured their sidewall just doing some light off roading so I changed mine out at 1000 miles. I think if you're just doing something less rocky you're good. Rob @RedlandRanger still has the stock tires and does a lot of fire roads with his without any issues.
Gravel roads are fine - I've never had issues there, however I've not had good luck with them in either mud (they load up too quickly) or snow (kind of the same). I'd love to replace them but I'm too cheap to replace good rubber.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Man now that is a nice looking trail!! Generally the ones I have been on are not as rocky so you are right there. When it is washboard I lower it down more than 26psi but generally keep it above 20psi because of the speed elsewhere on the trail is 15+ mph.
Those washboards are a teeth rattler for sure! Sometimes even airing down isn't enough and a better shock like a Bilstein really helps.

Problem is now that we have a travel trailer, my wife has booked a lot of my free time with that rather than tent camping away from people.
Easy solution. Drop them off with the travel trailer and go out wheeling. lol :crackup:
Sponsored