First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Sorry about that. We were not aware of your profession and experience. You sir are an exception to the normal, with your over the road experience. No criticism was intended. It is just that there are people on this form who are towing ridiculously large trailers right up to or exceeding the rated limit of the Ranger who have nowhere near your experience.
I have order an Etrailer hitch rated at 900 lb tongue wt and 8000 lb tow capacity (with a Weight distribution on the trailer) I know I have pushed the limit on the tongue wt on the Ford hitch and this will correct that AND I know my trailer wt is 6800 lbs loaded with fresh water full. I’ll rescale everything when I get a chance and update. I was surprised that the Etrailer hitch is rated with higher tongue wt than the Ford hitch.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I have order an Etrailer hitch rated at 900 lb tongue wt and 8000 lb tow capacity (with a Weight distribution on the trailer) I know I have pushed the limit on the tongue wt on the Ford hitch and this will correct that AND I know my trailer wt is 6800 lbs loaded with fresh water full. I’ll rescale everything when I get a chance and update. I was surprised that the Etrailer hitch is rated with higher tongue wt than the Ford hitch.
It has always been my understanding that the rating on the hitch does not change the rating for the truck. which is still 750 and 7500 lbs.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It has always been my understanding that the rating on the hitch does not change the rating for the truck. which is still 750 and 7500 lbs.
Adding a class III hitch to a ford explorer changes the tow rating from 3500# to 5000#. With the hitch being purpose built (It's specifically for the 2019+ Ford Ranger), I doubt Curt/etrailer/etc would label it as XXX# if it wasn't able to do so.

Ford might not like it, but the rating is as delivered, not including what you might do to it to make it bigger/harder/faster/stronger.

OP
OP

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
After getting the etrailer hitch it is obviously beefier than the stock Ford hitch. My goal was to allow for more tongue wt, not change the tow rating of the truck

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
After getting the etrailer hitch it is obviously beefier than the stock Ford hitch. My goal was to allow for more tongue wt, not change the tow rating of the truck
Explain to us how it's beefier?

Logic would dictate that the folks at Ford have a better Engineering staff than the folks at etrailer.com

Unless somebody at Ford has signed off on extra tongue weight, 750 lbs is the maximum tongue weight, based on the stock suspension of the truck.

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 218 - Trailer Towing.jpg

OP
OP

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Explain to us how it's beefier?

Logic would dictate that the folks at Ford have a better Engineering staff than the folks at etrailer.com

Unless somebody at Ford has signed off on extra tongue weight, 750 lbs is the maximum tongue weight, based on the suspension of the truck.
It is heavier and made of thicker gauge material

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Tongue weight rating involves the suspension and frame of the truck not just the hitch.

You are trying to justify to yourself pulling a trailer your truck was not designed to pull.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It is heavier and made of thicker gauge material
I'm assuming you measured them. Curious what the actual thicknesses are.

But nonetheless that really means nothing, if the 750 lb maximum rating is based on the truck frame and suspension.

Using your rational, if you built a strong enough hitch you could use the payload rating as the tongue weight... which we all know just isn't the case.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If the OP's trailer truly weighs 6800 lbs and he's below the max GCWR then the trailer is towable by the Ranger. The problem seems to be weight distribution in the trailer. The tongue weight of 800 lbs exceeds the 750 lb max rating as others pointed out. The OP needs to correct the trailer weight distribution. One possibility is to reduce the amount of fresh water that is carried, assuming the tank is forward.
Sponsored