First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Looking at the either the Ranger or Gladiator to replace a company F-150.

What do I need to know about the Ranger before I make the decision. I love the new Ranger look, but the Jeep looks loke a blast.

The Ranger would be my dd, most days. Nice days, I'm jumping into the 'stang.

1) Any major issues with the Ranger that would piss me off after dropping 39K on a truck?

2) What's the "proper" level kit? 1", 2", 2.5"? And would 33s work with a level kit?

3) Plan would be for mostly dd duty, with some off-road action. Nothing extreme, just fun stuff. Would an FX4 need any additional mods, other than maybe tires?

4) Does anyone have a frame of reference between the Ranger and Gladiator?

Thanks
I’m a Jeep guy that ended up with a Ford. I really wanted to like the JT but it was too much like a Wrangler with a bed. It was long and funny looking and outrageously priced. It looks great with a lift, but that would be a few thousand more just to get it to “look” good. And like their Wrangler counterparts, those rear doors were hard to get into- my kid kept scraping his back. The Ranger is much more comfortable and can get me the same places as my Jeep could, plus it gets better gas mileage. Despite not having front lockers and disconnectable sway bars, it’s still very capable when you know what you’re doing.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I’m a Jeep guy that ended up with a Ford.
The majority of vehicles I have owned have been either some form of Jeep or a Ford truck.

1983 Ranger XLT with dual fuel tanks
1981 F150 - 300CI 5 speed
1996 Ranger extended cab
1997 F150 -4x4 extended cab
2020 Ranger XL STX 2WD
2020 Ranger XLT FX4

1962 Willys M170 - Military ambulance Jeep
1997 Cherokee
2002 Liberty Limited
2018 Renegade (got totaled)
2016 Cherokee Latitude

I traded a 2011 Harley Triglide for the 202 XL STX since my health would no longer allow me to ride. I couldn't see having the 2016 Cherokee andRanger STX so traded both in for the 2020 XLT FX4.

I have had a couple of cars in high school and also when my kids were young. The 1995 Dodge Neon and 2001 Chevy Cavalier were both junk.

Yes I like my Jeeps and Ford trucks. As I said, this last time the Ranger FX4 was a better fit for me versus the Jeep Gladiator.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I lived in VA for a while, I get it but would be good to have the option.
Not really--it significantly impacts the cost, NVR, etc, for those of us who don't want such an option. A good number of neighbors have jeeps, mostly they've all been used with the top off approximately once (while new) before the owners figure out that it's better in theory than in practice. I guess it's great that there's a thing you can buy if you want that, but I'm happier that there's a different thing I can buy since I don't want that.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
... but I'm happier that there's a different thing I can buy since I don't want that.
Hence, you get what you pay for...;)

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
The Gladiator is very appealing and I was close to buying one when I got the Ranger. Price wise they're more in F150 territory, or at least between Ranger and F150. That's what I found at the dealer lots. I decided the Gladiator was a vehicle I'd admire if some other guy owned it. I'm not going to futz around with taking doors off or lowering the windshield. If I had an old cj5 or cj7 maybe I'd just leave it like that, but in a $40k truck I'd want it zipped up most of the time, so no futzing with their easter-egg laden onboard tools and bolt cubbies.

If I was crossing the Sahara the Gladiator, maybe (better yet an old Land Cruiser). For everyday use the Ranger wins out in any category. I'm not out looking for rocks or fallen trees to clamber over on the weekends. Overall, just for my uses, the Gladiator is a character vehicle, a very pricey one. Again, if you or some other guy has one I'll admire it and compliment you on it (and mean it), but then I'll get in the Ranger and be happy with the choice.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
...Again, if you or some other guy has one I'll admire it and compliment you on it (and mean it), but then I'll get in the Ranger and be happy with the choice.
I'll compliment but will only mean it if the Gladiator has larger than stock wheels and tires.

They just don't look "right" with the small factory setup and look a bit ungainly or disproportional.

Put 35's on them and they look good :like:

Put a Grumper on it and I'll intentionally avoid you. :devil:

dcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab
The Ranger is often maligned for having too few options (one powertrain, no supercrew + 6' bed configuration). I find the Gladiator has the opposite problem - I just went to Jeep's site and there are 10 trim levels available. Choices are great, but that's a bit over the top, and hard to keep track of what's what. The comparison function, IMO, is lacking - I wish there was a one-page matrix where you could look at all 10 side by side.

I agree with the above comments that the Gladiator looks great at a certain trim level - and pretty bad in lower end configurations. I bought my 2019 Ranger in Dec 2019, and got a great deal (XLT, 302a, FX4, tow package, Scab for sub $30k). My recollection is that when I looked at Gladiators, I would have been at around $52k list to get something I was happy with. I don't recall what that meant in terms of feature comparisons between the two platforms, just that if I was going to go Gladiator, that's what I'd have to spend to be happy. My understanding was that dealers weren't budging much on the price, but in fairness I didn't even go look - $22k+ difference was way too big a gap, and the Ranger was a better fit for me regardless (I wanted the 6' bed and better fuel economy, and don't need the added off road capability of the Jeep).

The economics today may be different. At the end of the day, I'm very happy with the choice, and liking the Ranger more and more the longer I have it.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
When I was looking at both a couple of months ago, the only Gladiator model that was close in price to the Ranger XLT FX4 was the Gladiator Sport which is the base model.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I'll compliment but will only mean it if the Gladiator has larger than stock wheels and tires.

They just don't look "right" with the small factory setup and look a bit ungainly or disproportional.

Put 35's on them and they look good :like:

Put a Grumper on it and I'll intentionally avoid you. :devil:
Wasn't Stanley Andrews a Power Ranger and Russell Crowe was a Gladiator? You pick! ?
Screenshot_20210609-164637_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210609-165945_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP

samd1351

First Name
Sam DePriest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150 (company truck), 2016 Cherokee, 2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Okay, so I've missed a bit. did you guys settle down over the wrap issue?

I was leaning heavily to the Gladiator, then got so frustrated with the damn dealers around here, I gave up on it. Started back in with the Rangers. Aaaaand, same thing, almost. There just aren't any Rangers on lots around here. I did find a nice looking used one. Started pricing it out on the dealer website. Then noticed the taxes and FEES! $1700 in fees?!?!? On a used vehicle?! Nope. Then I jumped to the Tacoma. At this point, I'm just trying to find something that is moddable (sp) and affordable. Found a nice forest green on. Called the dealership, :Sorry, that one was in an accident and we can't sell it. Oh, and all of the other ones on the lot in the trim levels you're looking for, are already spoken for."

Well, screw it. I was just about to give up, when I saw a post on the jeep forum. There are a couple of dealers a day's drive away, that will order you one, configured the way you want, for anywhere between 5% and 8% below dealer invoice. And, I found an order form spreadsheet, that lets build the jeep, and it shows you the msrp and the dealer invoice price. That puts the Gladiator right back in front. Configured the way I want, it'll be on par with as similarly equipped as possible Ranger. And the wife really likes it. The smile on her face on the test drive was so good to see.

One Toyota salesman "A Gladiator over a Tacoma? Why?" I told him the price deal, and no. 2, when you walk away from the Gladiator, even though it's almost as ugly as sin, you gotta look back. And when you do, you do see something unique. When you walk away from the Tacoma and look back, you see a truck." That shut him up.

So it looks like a Hydro Blue Sport S Gladiator. I've already got about $4K in mods in carts across the interweb!

OP
OP

samd1351

First Name
Sam DePriest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150 (company truck), 2016 Cherokee, 2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
ok bye. have fun.
not sure why you needed to come back to fill us in, you coulda just quietly slipped out the back door.
most of us dont care one way or another what you buy as long as your happy, and it appears it took very little to make that happen.
if you set the bar low, its easier that way.
Good bye to you too sir.

I came back to update a thread I started.

If you don't care, why are you even responding.

Why do you think the bar is set low? I'm getting a vehicle that meets my needs, makes my wife smile, I can mod the shit out of, and I'm getting for a hell of deal.

You butt hurt because I didn't choose the Ranger? I still think it's a great truck, I just couldn't find one that I liked well enough for a decent price. And my wife was indifferent to the Ranger, but excited about the Jeep. And that's hugely important to me.

Go enjoy your Ranger. I'll go enjoy my Gladiator. Someday, maybe we'll meet up a trail somewhere.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Engineer
common theme in all these forums is the Ford guys hate everything else, the Jeep guys hate everything else, and the GM guys hate everything else

I've yet to find a forum where that doesn't happen
Sponsored