Rock Sliders

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Looking for companies who make rock sliders for the Ranger. Will update with new products when released.

So far I have only found one company who makes a rock slider which are body mounted.

The Addictive Desert Designs rock slider variant of their side step is the best option for rocker panel protection as of now. (3/1/19)

Here is an image from the install manual indicating the body mounting location.

ADD Install.JPG
Sponsored

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I’m ordering a pair of the ADD sliders. I was worried about them being body mounted so I called and spoke to them. He said while yes, they’re body mounted, the mounting points are very strong. They tested them by lifting the truck with a fork lift under the sliders. Good enough for me.

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab 4x4
After seeing this thread I was initially pissed ‘cause I was told they were “real” rock sliders when I ordered them and for me real means bolted to the frame. But since there isn’t anything else on the market right now and the company stands by their claims I might still keep them.
BTW wasn’t told by ADD they were frame mounted, it was the parts guy at the store who assumed they were since they’re branded “rock sliders”.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s how I see it. I emailed ADD and asked if there is a specific weight limit these can tollerate and if they can support the weight of the truck. If they can then it will be fine by me. Still does the job it’s designed to do.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I wish they either wouldn't try to be a step or else provide a step wide enough to be functional

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
These are just beefed up steps, not true sliders. And for what 99.9% of what people will do with there Ranger it's fine.

The real damage comes if your dropping down on rocks where it the weight of the truck slams down. Most will never put there truck in this situation, especially a brand new one. It's mainly body protection.

If you look at my avatar closely, you can see a dent in the bottom of the driver's door on my Explorer. This was from crashing down on top of a small hill climb in soft dirt with no protection. Unfortunately my sliders we're sitting on my garage floor at home, because I didn't have time to bolt them on. Lesson learned.

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I completely agree with @Stic-o - I don't believe that body-mounted sliders are going to do the trick with true offroading rigs, or any rig that comes crashing down on the rockers while descending or climbing rock steps, same goes with clearing a sharp hump.

EFFECTIVE rock sliders are mounted to frames, with beefy mounting brackets that are either bolted or welded to the frame. My Nissan's White Knuckle sliders are bolted to the frame; although I had to step-drill most of the holes (tough but worth it) myself, the fit and functionality has been excellent. These sliders have never failed me, and I know because I'm used to hearing the a loud KLUNK! when I come off (contact and slide off) rock steps - the rockers remain perfect; while the sliders have by now lost their lower/outer layer of powdercoat, there are NO DENTS on them - DOM steel for the win. I've emailed White Knuckle about making a set for the 5G Ranger, but I haven't heard back. WK offers sliders for Broncos, Jeeps, Nissans, Toyotas, and full-size trucks - email them and help me persuade them to make some for the Ranger: https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/sliders/

Priced powder-coated with HD DOM steel, these came to $720 for a Frontier. WK is located near southern California.

By the way, I use these as step bumpers as well when I need an extra boost into the truck or to reach the roof/middle of windshield (setting up my roof top tent, for example) - they can be a bit slippery when wet, but just fine while dry and sufficient surface area for foot support. My wife and young son use them to enter/exit the truck.

Some pics of what good rock sliders look like - note how far the attaching bracket extend inward to reach the chassis members:

Pddl0hC.jpg

msurcXe.jpg

zRJ7vU9.jpg

v2Oaujo.jpg

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue is if and how long it will take someone to make frame mounted sliders. I want to take the truck out now and not wait a year to go off road with it.

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
@Andy With a lift and existing skid plates that come with an FX4, you should be fine with most less-than-technical trails. If a rock garden comes along, pick your line carefully or have someone else spot for you. I'd guess that it takes about six months for these manufacturers to test, tool up, and begin shipping.

I agree, DON'T WAIT, and go offroading NOW!

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Andy With a lift and existing skid plates that come with an FX4, you should be fine with most less-than-technical trails. If a rock garden comes along, pick your line carefully or have someone else spot for you. I'd guess that it takes about six months for these manufacturers to test, tool up, and begin shipping.

I agree, DON'T WAIT, and go offroading NOW!
All i worry about this moment is having rocks flip up and puncture or dent the rockers/doors. Thats why im leaning towards just getting the ADD "sliders" till a good set of frame mounted ones come out. I ordered my truck without running boards so i could put something else in its place. Just expected there to more options by now.

CT801

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Jeep Wranger
I live in Utah...is there a point of contact? I’d be willing to let them use my truck.
Their website says "We are DEFINITELY looking for a 2019 Ford Ranger for design and prototyping! Get a free kit, installed... contact us!!!"

Their email is [email protected] and their phone number is 888-801-7271.

I will be interested to hear what happens.