Aftermarket bumpers?

franciscoapg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Hi, we've been working as hard as we can to continue development on this (unfortunately as with every other business we've been held up in a lot of ways the past few months) but we should have a v2 production prototype on my truck soon. Then once I make sure all the changes we made are good to go for production, then we will have them available.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Sounds good, thanks for the heads up!
Sponsored

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Mounted my prototype this past weekend. Modular 3 piece design, winch capable, keeps factory parking sensors, aluminum (super light weight and strong).

Gotta tweak a couple things and run it a while to make sure there's no issues then I'll have a production version ?

20200522_180346.jpg
Man this looks so good. Add a little brush guard bull bar and it'd be just what I've been looking for. I realize this is an older thread but whatever. I really like it.

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
Thanks man! You mean like my initial rendering? *attached below*

Been working on my v2 for testing that will include the removable bars up top that I should have done somewhat soon. This year's been...not helpful with progress haha. I'll post up about it when I have it done ?

Man this looks so good. Add a little brush guard bull bar and it'd be just what I've been looking for. I realize this is an older thread but whatever. I really like it.
Screenshot_20201111-072438_Instagram.jpg

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, many prerunner style bumpers are to lower weight but maintain most of the strength (with a winch and all the lights mounted I'm still within a few pounds of the total weight of the factory bumper).

Not bad! I am curious though - it's a bumper made of aluminum?

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, many prerunner style bumpers are to lower weight but maintain most of the strength (with a winch and all the lights mounted I'm still within a few pounds of the total weight of the factory bumper).
Hunh. Wonder how that works out in an auto collision, or roadkill situation.

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally depends on which metal variant is used, thickness, design, structure, what's mounted in and around it, etc but generally a well designed aluminum bumper will still be stronger than the body of the truck and everything else around it, so if you're having a problem with the bumper, the truck likely won't be driveable. In a major accident, the bumper won't save these aluminum trucks. But that is also one of the many reasons I designed it to be 3 pieces, so if you have a front 3/4 accident/roadkill/hit a rock/wall/whatever and dent one corner of the bumper, you don't need to buy a whole new bumper just that piece if you want it to look new again.

I'll take a small strength loss for the enormous weight loss when my focus is generally keeping performance for both on and off road performance (mpg, speed, weight distribution, etc) rather than absolute strength at all costs.

Hunh. Wonder how that works out in an auto collision, or roadkill situation.

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Totally depends on which metal variant is used, thickness, design, structure, what's mounted in and around it, etc but generally a well designed aluminum bumper will still be stronger than the body of the truck and everything else around it, so if you're having a problem with the bumper, the truck likely won't be driveable. In a major accident, the bumper won't save these aluminum trucks. But that is also one of the many reasons I designed it to be 3 pieces, so if you have a front 3/4 accident/roadkill/hit a rock/wall/whatever and dent one corner of the bumper, you don't need to buy a whole new bumper just that piece if you want it to look new again.

I'll take a small strength loss for the enormous weight loss when my focus is generally keeping performance for both on and off road performance (mpg, speed, weight distribution, etc) rather than absolute strength at all costs.
That's interesting. I'd actually never really thought about it before. I come from bicycle world, we're endlessly discussing materials science re: steel vs alum and where to use it and why. Frames: steel. Wheels: alum. Bars: alum. Racks: ehhhhh. I guess the only real reason to have a steel bumper is if you intend to recover it. That segmentation affair is an interesting direction to go. In bike world we use replaceable derailleur hangers on alum and carbon bikes for similar reasons.

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I've always liked the Colorado rear bumpers with corner steps and have been looking for a rear bumper that is similar and just found this one.

Black Horse Armour Rear Bumper

F221281256.jpg

F221281257.jpg

I like the steps built into the side of the bumper and this one is quite a bit less than others that I find less appealing.

No idea about the quality though and the price makes me wonder about that.

Edit: Well I ponied up and ordered this one.

I'll let everyone know how it works out.
Well? Verdict?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Well? Verdict?
DOH!

Forgot about this particular thread as I've posted it in a couple of others.

I like it.

The corner steps are awesome for accessing the bed and the LED pods make for great backup lights.

Quite a bit heavier duty than the factory steel rear bumper.

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's interesting. I'd actually never really thought about it before. I come from bicycle world, we're endlessly discussing materials science re: steel vs alum and where to use it and why. Frames: steel. Wheels: alum. Bars: alum. Racks: ehhhhh. I guess the only real reason to have a steel bumper is if you intend to recover it. That segmentation affair is an interesting direction to go. In bike world we use replaceable derailleur hangers on alum and carbon bikes for similar reasons.
Ah yeah and in the bicycle world, ounces matter not just pounds. Same with motorcycles (one of the other worlds I'm designing things for coming up).

Yes, steel is good if you intend to bash it up all the time and are ok with the huge weight difference. I have been offroading decently hard, running it thru undergrowth, etc for a while now and haven't had any serious enough impacts on mine to do any damage.

I like the segmentation idea where things can come apart/off without destroying the whole thing. That's what I figure is most likely to happen, clipping a rock or something and even if it rips up that side piece, you still have the other 2 pieces totally fine and can just replace a side.

catboxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
My 22ft pontoon was not fully hitched and gave my bumper a good smash. Im thinking it’s easier to bolt on aftermarket rather than taking it to a shop. I had the Westin Outlaw in mind, but it’s not compatible with the stock hitch and their version won’t be available until January. Trying to find something that doesn’t have goofy laser cut branded logos and supports that factory hitch.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Working on it the SVC Bumper install...

20200505_120753.jpg

I am in LOVE with this thing. It's so CLEAN looking with that straight top line.

-Tom
Hey Tom, I'm resurrecting this thread here. Do you have any more photos with the SVC bumper I haven't seen anyone else post it.