Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone else not get a engine cover when purchasing their truck? My 2020xlt does not have one. I’m pissed to actually buy a truck for that much and not get one! Did anyone get one with their 2020 that wasn’t a lariat?
You're not missing much here. My XLT didn't come with one, and I bought it from a dealership online. It didn't DAMPEN the noise that much. In fact, a buddy of mine was riding in my truck and chuckled at the injector pump noise. And that was with the cover installed. The only real benifit the cover might possibly provide is it might keep dirt off the top of my motor and make it safer to hose off after off-roading when I clean up the truck. It may protect some of the electronic bits on the top end from the water.
Sponsored

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't like engine covers. Look silly to me. I like the mechanical look of the engines. I took the one off my eco mustang and threw it on the shelf right after I got it. Now those guys are nuts about their covers. The paint schemes are pretty wild sometimes. To each their own, I guess. If my ranger came with one, I would have likely sold it to one of you by now :crackup:

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't like engine covers. Look silly to me. I like the mechanical look of the engines. I took the one off my eco mustang and threw it on the shelf right after I got it. Now those guys are nuts about their covers. The paint schemes are pretty wild sometimes. To each their own, I guess. If my ranger came with one, I would have likely sold it to one of you by now :crackup:
I love the look on my Mustang! I cleaned up my engine bay A LOT and I think the covers make it look just right. But, it is a show car.
2020-02-23 17.13.03.jpg

For my truck, it wasn't as important. I was hoping it would take care of the injector pump noise, but it really didn't do much for that. My other goal, as previously mentioned above, was to cover up the top end to keep dirt/mud off the top end while off-roading and to keep water from intruding into import stuff during the subsequent clean-up.
2020-10-09 17.49.44.jpg

Last edited:

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
I love the look on my Mustang! I cleaned up my engine bat A LOT and I think the covers make it look just right. But, it is a show car.
2020-02-23 17.13.03.jpg

For my truck, it wasn't as important. I was hoping it would take care of the injector pump noise, but it really didn't do much for that. My other goal, as previously mentioned above, was to cover up the top end to keep dirt/mud off the top end while off-roading and to keep water from intruding into import stuff during the subsequent clean-up.
2020-10-09 17.49.44.jpg
Fair points. And I also have an eco not a 5.0. I think they look pretty good on the 5.0's. I like the look of the intake runners on top. As far as the truck goes, mine doesn't see a whole lot of off road. But, I could see how a cover could help there. I guess I'm just an old soul and like the look of the mechanics more than a cover. NOW THE TAILGATE DAMPER? That's a different story. Sign me up all day for those! :crackup:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Check it out!! I found a sneek peek under the hood of the all new, revolutionary "XXXX"
Awd, Twin Turbo v8, direct injection, twin variable overhead cam, 700 hp, and designed for 87.
with 100 octane program to capable of 900 wheel HP

1607089738497.png

? An Engine Bay nowadays ?
One question! With an engine cover like this why do we need a hood? Use to be you'd pop the hood to show off you engine.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fair points. And I also have an eco not a 5.0. I think they look pretty good on the 5.0's. I like the look of the intake runners on top. As far as the truck goes, mine doesn't see a whole lot of off road. But, I could see how a cover could help there. I guess I'm just an old soul and like the look of the mechanics more than a cover. NOW THE TAILGATE DAMPER? That's a different story. Sign me up all day for those! :crackup:
Yeah. I've got a tailgate damper and I love it! I was actually out on some trails with other Rangers when I saw someone SMOOTHLY drop their tailgate and I was sold. LOL

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Jesus Christ. I wish you could see the trucks we drove back in the 70's, 80's & 90's. This thing is a F'ing Rolls Royce compared to the hollow metal bucket that a 1975 Ford F100 was. Brand new they had so many gaps in the body that you had to drive slower than 50 when it was cold outside or you would suck all of the heat out. And we were just happy the damn thing had a quasi functional working heater in it.

The Step Side came in a color called "Duct Tape Grey" so you could repair your fenders with....... DUCT TAPE and no one would notice.

It only had a vinyl bench seat and seat belts were optional. Dad would lube it up with armorall and we'd go sliding around when he took corners like a Newtons Cradle made out of three kids.

We only had two choices for wheel pattern - white and black.

#FirstWorldProblems

I'm sure a nice latte with unicorn sprinkles will make it all better.
I remember the wonderful tires on my 81 Chevy C10, Uniroyal Tiger Paw whitewalls that squealed like a scared pig at every turn. My dash was pickled in Armor All and still looked new when I traded the truck 10 years later. The best was how the paint fell off my tailgate, I guess I needed a damper.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I have to admit I didn't open the hood when shopping for a Ranger- wonder how many do. Didn't know whether or not the Ranger had an engine cover or LEDs , was looking for an XLT with FX4 but came upon a great deal on a Lariat and happy with the way it's equipped.
When I bought my first vehicle, the sales guy sent my dad and I on the test drive without him. As we were pulling back into the dealership, my dad told me that I needed to kick the tires and look under the hood. I asked him why, and he told me he didn't know, but both were things you definitely had to do when shopping for a vehicle.

So I did.

And I've done it on every vehicle I've considered buying ever since.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
Yeah. I've got a tailgate damper and I love it! I was actually out on some trails with other Rangers when I saw someone SMOOTHLY drop their tailgate and I was sold. LOL
First mod I made. My buddy got one factory on his new silverado. I was jealous from the start ha.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
you talking about these modern roadways?
1607078929930.png
My headlights work just fine on such roads as that, but as you know I was referring to state Highways and Interstates which are clearly marked.
In fact they are so ubiquitous that the higher trim level Rangers use the lane markers day and night for such extraneous functions as lane keeping.

Of course most Rangers are ostensibly driven exclusively off road, in which case hellishly bright auxiliary LED lights are legal, useful, relatively cheap!

Halogens are just fine, in fact the high beams are very impressive and the low beam/driving lights combo works great for broad illumination including shoulders.

OEM LED lights are "pretty" and they are bright, but they are clearly overpriced at least by an order of magnitude....The good news is that they are likely to come down in price as the aftermarket kicks in (even OEM) but for now , they are about as necessary as decorative engine covers...(contrived obligatory segue) :giggle:

1607097525335.png

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
When I bought my first vehicle, the sales guy sent my dad and I on the test drive without him. As we were pulling back into the dealership, my dad told me that I needed to kick the tires and look under the hood. I asked him why, and he told me he didn't know, but both were things you definitely had to do when shopping for a vehicle.

So I did.

And I've done it on every vehicle I've considered buying ever since.
With 50 lbs psi in the tires I'm sure glad I didn't kick them, might have hurt myself.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
My headlights work just fine on such roads as that, but as you know I was referring to state Highways and Interstates which are clearly marked.
In fact they are so ubiquitous that the higher trim level Rangers use the lane markers day and night for such extraneous functions as lane keeping.

Of course most Rangers are ostensibly driven exclusively off road, in which case hellishly bright auxiliary LED lights are legal, useful, relatively cheap!

Halogens are just fine, in fact the high beams are very impressive and the low beam/driving lights combo works great for broad illumination including shoulders.

OEM LED lights are "pretty" and they are bright, but they are clearly overpriced at least by an order of magnitude....The good news is that they are likely to come down in price as the aftermarket kicks in (even OEM) but for now , they are about as necessary as decorative engine covers...(contrived obligatory segue) :giggle:
ok - here is a link to the headlights tests from the IIHS ( they do more than just crash tests), and this shows that you are correct - the LEDS on the Ranger as well as the halogens are rated marginal and the LEDS have no advantage over the halogens. My wife has a 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe with halogens and the Ranger headlamps are noticeably superior. But since I have a Lariat I'm stuck with both the LEDS and an engine cover:frown:

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/ford/ranger-crew-cab-pickup/2019#headlights

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
ok - here is a link to the headlights tests from the IIHS ( they do more than just crash tests), and this shows that you are correct - the LEDS on the Ranger as well as the halogens are rated marginal and the LEDS have no advantage over the halogens. My wife has a 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe with halogens and the Ranger headlamps are noticeably superior. But since I have a Lariat I'm stuck with both the LEDS and an engine cover:frown:

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/ford/ranger-crew-cab-pickup/2019#headlights
I put upgraded halogen bulbs in mine (my write up is somewhere on here). Then aimed them properly because the factory gets off by aiming them perpendicular to the road.
They are the BEST headlights I have ever drivin with. By far. Light throw dist, beam coverage, beam pattern, color temp, ditch coverage etc. Its all perfection.
I roll with fogs on 24/7 too though. Yea Im one of those people.

I can't imagine the lariat ones being any better but I havent tried em, so I cant say.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford

Interesting that there was no mention of the driving lights.
I have always relied on them to supplement visibility to both shoulders with the splash pattern set behind the headlight splash pattern. Seems that the use of the driving lights would improve the overall rating.
At any rate, the Ranger has good lights, just have to keep them and the cab glass clean.
Oh! and wipe off the engine cover at every oil change! ;)
Sponsored