[Updated] Ranger Ford Performance Power Pack Performance Tune Software (M-9603-REB) Released!

19Bluecrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Supercrew Ranger
Occupation
Houseboy
Sorry to bring up an old subject. How does the warranty work with the FPP with the 3yr/36k? I currently have the 5yr/60k whichever occurs first. Does it void the power train 5 year and switch to a 3 year Ford performance? Any clarification on this?
FPP will cover any problems caused by the tune for 3/36,000. The Ford factory warranty is still in affect unless a problem is caused by the tune. It would be interesting to see how the dealer/factory would try to blame the tune for, say, a leaky oil pan gasket. On the other hand they might be more successful with a blown head gasket. The FPP tune is very mild compared to the aftermarket competitors. If you drive like a normal (NORMAL!) person I can’t see this tune causing any damage. Just one old guys opinion. Yours may vary.
Sponsored

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
I installed this tune about 1500 miles ago. There is a definite boost in power and torque.

I have noticed a decline in gas mileage. 3 to 4 miles per gallon on highway and 4+ decline in city.

My dealer suggested that I not install the K & N filter. The head mechanic said they do not filter our small particles and would pre age the Turbo.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I installed this tune about 1500 miles ago. There is a definite boost in power and torque.

I have noticed a decline in gas mileage. 3 to 4 miles per gallon on highway and 4+ decline in city.

My dealer suggested that I not install the K & N filter. The head mechanic said they do not filter our small particles and would pre age the Turbo.
I am having the same experience, really enjoying the boost in power and torque, and the way the tune eliminates the hesitation between gears. So much so, I notice that I hardly ever put it in "Sport" mode anymore--it has become "sporty" enough without it. But, yeah, three to four miles per gallon is lost on average, which is a price I am willing to pay. So far, I have left the K&N in, but after hearing all the negative posts about it, which do seem to make sense to me, I will be going back to stock the next time I have some work done on the truck.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired

I run the stock filter and gained 1 mpg.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
FPP will cover any problems caused by the tune for 3/36,000. The Ford factory warranty is still in affect unless a problem is caused by the tune. It would be interesting to see how the dealer/factory would try to blame the tune for, say, a leaky oil pan gasket. On the other hand they might be more successful with a blown head gasket. The FPP tune is very mild compared to the aftermarket competitors. If you drive like a normal (NORMAL!) person I can’t see this tune causing any damage. Just one old guys opinion. Yours may vary.
The FPP tune compares well to the Livernois 91/93 tune. I own both and have dyno’d both. The Livernois tune has 4 more peak wheel horsepower and 28 more lb/ft of torque. But the FPP tune has a flatter torque curve and better (smoother) shifting. Both tunes increase the maximum boost to 20/21 pounds using an OBD2 Bluetooth gauge on my phone. Keep in mind all of our Rangers may respond differently and will have different numbers. I actually prefer the Ford tune because of it’s better drive-ability on my truck. They both have very noticeable improvements in acceleration and “pull”. And I could not tell the difference between the two using my butt dyno.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
The FPP tune compares well to the Livernois 91/93 tune. I own both and have dyno’d both. The Livernois tune has 4 more peak wheel horsepower and 28 more lb/ft of torque. But the FPP tune has a flatter torque curve and better (smoother) shifting. Both tunes increase the maximum boost to 20/21 pounds using an OBD2 Bluetooth gauge on my phone. Keep in mind all of our Rangers may respond differently and will have different numbers. I actually prefer the Ford tune because of it’s better drive-ability on my truck. They both have very noticeable improvements in acceleration and “pull”. And I could not tell the difference between the two using my butt dyno.
Just curious, does Ford put any limitations on their tune? Fit instance, Livernois says not to use their 91/93 tune for towing, but they do provide a tow tune.

Goodrx

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Is the decline in mpg because of driving habits? Do you have stock tires?

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
** A Word of Warning **
Even if this Ford Performance Tune is "warrantied", you need to be careful.
When I was researching a possible Ford Focus ST purchase, Ford Performance was offering a tune for it, but when I spoke to the service manager at my local Ford dealer, he said that they would "most likely" deny warrantee coverage on a Focus ST engine if it had this tune.
He said this in reference to the warrantee claim denials that had been given for some F150s that were running the Ford Performance tune at the time.
I am new to all the tunes, does Ford motor company own Ford Performance? If so why wouldn't they warrantee their own compatible tune if there's a problem?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Performance is not formally a member of Ford. States in the documentation "Ford Performance parts are 3rd party aftermarket parts".
Hi Scott,

Ford Performance is part of Ford Corporate, not third party. It started out as SVO...Special Vehicle Operations. It then became Ford Racing and then was consolidated into Ford Performance. What is third party is most if not all the parts, but with a twist that the parts are made to Ford Specs. I do not know who does the Ford Performance Tune....some folks suspect Livernois. Ford Corporate does stand behind their tune, but read the fine print. Since I have no interest in Tuning my Ranger, I have not delved into the differences but I recall other threads on these forums that mention this piece of the topic.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Is the decline in mpg because of driving habits? Do you have stock tires?
For my part, I have lost 2-3 MPH since having the FP tune flashed, but it could be caused by a number of factors, including, or not, the tune itself. I did put heavier and more aggressive tires on at the same time, moving from the stock Hankook ATM to Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W, and I may be driving more aggressively as well (enjoying the tune as I do), but on the other hand, I do not use "Sport" nearly as much post-tune. I would love to see some scientifically based, controlled measurements to learn if the FP tune itself has an impact on mileage, and, if so, how much, and which way, up or down? My sense is that, since the 2.3 is producing so much more HP and torque, everything else being equal, it must be using more gas to do so, but, again, this is just speculation, since everything else is not equal!

Last edited:

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
These numbers are interesting. People with the Ford Performance tune seem to be reporting worse gas mileage, while many with the Livernois tune are reporting gas mileage gains or much smaller losses.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
These numbers are interesting. People with the Ford Performance tune seem to be reporting worse gas mileage, while many with the Livernois tune are reporting gas mileage gains or much smaller losses.
I was just reading through this and was surprised they're losing mpg? When I added my 2.5" RC level kit and 265/70/17's I noticed a little drop in mpg, about 1.5-2. After installing my Livernois tune I noticed a good 2 mpg increase as long as I drive it normal which is hard to do. I'm running the 91-93 performance tune all the time too.

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Scott,

Ford Performance is part of Ford Corporate, not third party. It started out as SVO...Special Vehicle Operations. It then became Ford Racing and then was consolidated into Ford Performance. What is third party is most if not all the parts, but with a twist that the parts are made to Ford Specs. I do not know who does the Ford Performance Tune....some folks suspect Livernois. Ford Corporate does stand behind their tune, but read the fine print. Since I have no interest in Tuning my Ranger, I have not delved into the differences but I recall other threads on these forums that mention this piece of the topic.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
My mistake. I was being a bit lazy.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I was just reading through this and was surprised they're losing mpg? When I added my 2.5" RC level kit and 265/70/17's I noticed a little drop in mpg, about 1.5-2. After installing my Livernois tune I noticed a good 2 mpg increase as long as I drive it normal which is hard to do. I'm running the 91-93 performance tune all the time too.
I know that Ford Performance does a good job with their tunes. Living in SoCal, I chose one of their tunes for my Mustang GT that included an intake manifold and throttle body change. It performs well at the track, it's C.A.R.B. compliant, and I don't have to worry about the hassle of switching everything back to stock and flashing back to stock tune for a smog test.

I was going to purchase the Ford Performance tune for my Ranger, however, since there aren't any other parts being modified, I decided that I want to get the Livernois tune instead. All it will require is a flash back to stock when the time comes to smog it. I like the fact that they have the options such as soft shift and tow.
Sponsored