First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
Occupation
Instructor
Added my own Yakima pads and rack this afternoon to my topper. Cheaper than factory installed racks and I was able to pick and place them exactly where I wanted. Threw my roof cage on for a bit just to see how it looks. Doesn't quite look how I imagined, but pretty cool nevertheless I think. Easy to take on and off as well.

IMG_20200529_192018202.jpg

IMG_20200529_193745955.jpg
Nice truck man! I was wondering if you've had issues with the seal. I've read getting a good seal at the front of the bed is an issue for installers? One installer I chatted with online said there are large cavities and big holes at the front of the bed behind the cab. He said holes are big enough you can touch the cab through the bulkhead of the bed. I guess sealing it is pain on his end. Any thoughts/advice?
Sponsored

Kd80

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
Occupation
Instructor
Anyone else’s cap leak real bad when it rains, especially down the two front corners of the truck bed?
If you came up w/ a DIY solution, what was it?
I've been chatting with an installer about this exact issue. The corners at the front of the bed, the large cavities and the holes at the bulkhead he said getting a good seal a major pain in the rear. He said unless you get a really good and experienced installer I'd be sadly disappointed. Good truck but the bed design he said on his end as an installer sucks!

Deleted member 1634

Nice truck man! I was wondering if you've had issues with the seal. I've read getting a good seal at the front of the bed is an issue for installers? One installer I chatted with online said there are large cavities and big holes at the front of the bed behind the cab. He said holes are big enough you can touch the cab through the bulkhead of the bed. I guess sealing it is pain on his end. Any thoughts/advice?
Mine doesn't leak around the front two corners or the interface to the bulkhead at all. I can see how it might be difficult, but it's certainly not impossible. Just might need a bit more seal, or thicker seal, in those areas. There are holes in the front wall of the bed, but well below the top edge so they're not a topper sealing problem, just an aspect of the bed design. Those can easily be covered with some tape and be just fine if anyone finds it to be an issue. Mine are uncovered and I don't have any real issue with water getting in given their location.

Mine has only leaked where the rear window corners meet the tailgate and topper frame at once. A couple little chunks of my leftover tailgate seal fixed that problem quick. Now the only place I get leaks into the bed are at the lower corners of the tailgate, still trying to work on that one.

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Could a few folks please post pics of what the view looks like looking back from the drivers position, over shoulder or rear view mirror? Curious what the obstructed view looks like. I haven't seen any from this angle, at least not in this thread. Sorry if I missed it somewhere else.

Deleted member 1634

Could a few folks please post pics of what the view looks like looking back from the drivers position, over shoulder or rear view mirror? Curious what the obstructed view looks like. I haven't seen any from this angle, at least not in this thread. Sorry if I missed it somewhere else.
I was going to be all artistic and take a POV of actually looking into the rearview mirror, but it was too dark this morning and didn't quite work out. haha And since it was still a bit too dark out I had to open the rear slider to actually really see what it looks like. The doubled up privacy tint (rear truck window + rear topper window) does play a factor by the way. Also, I have a Leer 100XR, which has the electronic lock/unlock feature, so more of the window is lost to the big black bar along the bottom to obscure the different handle and cabling.

You can see the car parked in the spot kittycorner to me across the isle. It's a Mercedes coupe as a height/size reference.

IMG_20200811_061840366.jpg

IMG_20200811_061846713.jpg

It was a little annoying, and definitely noticeable, at first with how much it obscures the rear view. But after awhile it's just another one of those things you get used to and learn to compensate for. I hardly use my rearview mirror anyways, mostly just the side mirrors, even when backing. The Explorer I learned to drive on and plowed the driveway with from age 12-18 didn't have a rearview mirror, so it's just the way I learned. The camera also helps a lot when backing up too.

In the end, it could be better, but the usefulness of the topper for me overcomes a lot of the shortfalls of it.

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
Hey Folks, not seeing many supercabs with toppers, so I'd thought I'd share some photos of my ARE MX. I had to purchase it without seeing a single photo of one! Not even ARE had a photo of a long bed ranger with a cap.

1996490-1598908343-843081.jpg

1996490-1598897950-76888.jpg

1996490-1598897946-921562.jpg

Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Im currently looking into a slick side (no side windows) topper. I've been waiting to get a call back from dealers to discuss which companies can order me this topper design, but getting that call back has been like pulling teeth. Would love to get a Snugtop GB Sport with no windows, but as far as loca dealers go might be relegated to companies like Leer.

Like this;

4a15a1ac-09af-44b1-8241-4a48ef3cc26f.jpg

Would love to have this design, but no side windows;

7a9220ec-938d-443c-91cf-25b07917956a.jpg

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Sometimes I wish I went with the taller model, but then it wouldn't fit in my garage. ?

Justwaithere

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus
Anyone who’s had their topper for a few months still recommend it, or find they would do something differently? I’m going to be getting a Ranger later this month and want to get a topper myself. Thanks.

Deleted member 1634

Anyone who’s had their topper for a few months still recommend it, or find they would do something differently? I’m going to be getting a Ranger later this month and want to get a topper myself. Thanks.
It's something I wouldn't know how to live without at this point. And likely something I will add to every truck after this now (which will likely be more Rangers if they keep building them).

There is the issue of not being able to haul taller things or throw stuff directly into the bed from the side of the truck (without removing the topper which is possible). But in the end, the copious amount of added covered bed storage well outweighs any of that for my family and our needs.

Knowing what I know now, I might've bought a different brand or model or changed my options, but still would've gotten a topper.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
A.R.E. Z2.
I've had mine for just under 1 year. Love the topper. They finally fixed the leak at the front. Had to reinstall. Was an installation issue, not a topper quality issue.

I did however get the Yakima rails with the purchase, they've completely fallen apart. The plastic cross rails have split and delaminated.

The vendor said it's a warranty issue and they will be replaced. It's been 3 weeks and nothing yet.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and it's been hot as hell for the last few months. I can only think it's the UVs that have cracked the vinyl coating. If so, that's a real problem because if it is that, in time, the replacements will crack as well. I've never used them to carry anything so there been no damage.

IMG_20200910_180053092.jpg

Last edited:

Justwaithere

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus
It's something I wouldn't know how to live without at this point. And likely something I will add to every truck after this now (which will likely be more Rangers if they keep building them).

There is the issue of not being able to haul taller things or throw stuff directly into the bed from the side of the truck (without removing the topper which is possible). But in the end, the copious amount of added covered bed storage well outweighs any of that for my family and our needs.

Knowing what I know now, I might've bought a different brand or model or changed my options, but still would've gotten a topper.
Thanks. Which one do you have?
Sponsored