Topper Shell

DVSCYCLES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Leer 180 Cap finally came in. Still waiting on the roof racks. Should have them by the end of next week. Super excited!!

41905B49-0034-4905-A722-3CAF927C15C2.jpeg
Do they make it for the 6' bed also? Looked briefly at their site and was not listed.
Sponsored

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
BTW... My key fob A. R. E. Z2 also unlocks the topper door. I like that
My Century does the same thing. It was an included feature with the series topper I got and to me, it's well worth it.

Do they make it for the 6' bed also? Looked briefly at their site and was not listed.
They do. I've seen the Leer 180 series on a Scab that runs around my area. Plus, I recall seeing it offered in both sizes in the catalog at the dealer. If you want to know for sure, just check with the local dealer. Leer's website leaves a lot to be desired.

Sdmason88

First Name
Skylar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
My Century does the same thing. It was an included feature with the series topper I got and to me, it's well worth it.

They do. I've seen the Leer 180 series on a Scab that runs around my area. Plus, I recall seeing it offered in both sizes in the catalog at the dealer. If you want to know for sure, just check with the local dealer. Leer's website leaves a lot to be desired.

When I got mine it was originally quoted with the Windoor sliders. Few days later dealer called me back and said those are only available for the 6’ bed. So you should be able to get the 180 cap, and BONUS you can get the windoor sliders too.

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
Shout out to CaptianAmericaRob! I finally rigged up a thru axle mount in my bed. I have been using an extension on my Yakima so I can open the tailgate. But, it protrudes quite a bit..., I just know one of these days it'll get tagged or I'll give something a nudge... I used a 2x4 with a little shim on the drivers side to keep it square. There is a small lip on the Swingcase that holds the passenger side in place. The 15x110 mount was $19 on Amazon

IMG_20200711_155429_2[1].jpg

IMG_20200711_155439[1].jpg

IMG_20200711_155429_2[1].jpg

IMG_20200711_155439[1].jpg

Last edited:

bloosh

First Name
Braelin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I've been going back and forth on if I want to get a topper. Is the decrease in visibility very noticeable? I hate to spend that much money and find out I don't care for it. I don't drive SUVS or anything like that either, so I don't have much to compare with.

Deleted member 1634

I've been going back and forth on if I want to get a topper. Is the decrease in visibility very noticeable? I hate to spend that much money and find out I don't care for it. I don't drive SUVS or anything like that either, so I don't have much to compare with.
Depends on the topper model. Mine has the electronic lock/unlock feature so there's a big black strip along the bottom of the topper rear window, leaving maybe a foot's worth of window. That, on top of the doubled up privacy glass (truck rear window has it and the topper rear window has it) it makes it kind of hard to see out the rear window. It was annoying at first, but I've gotten used to it. You can still see people coming up behind you and I have no problem seeing in the passenger blind spot though. And the big mirrors and rear camera help a lot for backing up.

For me at least, the pros of the topper functionality far outweigh any minor visibility issues.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I have 50% visibility thru the back for a few reasons:
I have tinted the topper with limo tint to abstruct vision into the bed
I'm old and my eyesight is less then it should be.

It really doesn't bother me because I use the side mirrors most of the time and the rear view camera is essential when backing up.

IMG_20200105_155635900_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got a background with driving large vehicles and tracked vehicles that don't really have center rearview mirrors anyway and even if they did, you wouldn't see much. Therefore I've just gotten used to only using side mirrors when driving. Having the shell on my truck doesn't really make any difference for me.

Crossczech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew, FX4
Finally got my Leer 100XR delivered and installed last Friday!
Took 8 weeks (quoted 3-5 weeks), 1 mandatory order change (the options they told me I could get apparently weren't actually available on this size), 1 incorrect delivery (window holes were trimmed incorrectly), 3 times of me telling them the color and them forgetting, and plenty of miscommunication.
But in the end it looks nice, matches well, and I'm pretty happy with it. Not ecstatic, since it's not exactly what I wanted and there are plenty of defects all over it already, both from the factory QA misses and dealer handling. Probably should've gone with an ARE, but this'll do just fine.

Options:
Driver's side windoor (wanted to get windoors with sliders on both sides)
Passenger side standard slider
Remote lock connection to the truck
Three 12V outlets in the bed
Removable front slider window

Now to just figure out the rest of my bed storage situation and whether or not to get some racks for the topper, or stay with the Yakima racks we already have for the roof of the cab.

IMG_20200410_152459289_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200410_152540100_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200410_152918791_HDR.jpg
I'm considering the same cap right now (or maybe the ARE Z2). How are you liking it a couple months later? Have you got a pic with the rear glass down, I'm curious how that looks as well the1mrb.

Deleted member 1634

I'm considering the same cap right now (or maybe the ARE Z2). How are you liking it a couple months later? Have you got a pic with the rear glass down, I'm curious how that looks as well the1mrb.
I really like it! A couple of quality issues from the start, but apparently that's the case with either brand. And the only one of those issues that has caused concern is the lack of adequate sealing in some areas, but that was easily fixed by adding what's leftover of the tailgate seal I added. I've added a handful of personal mods to make it even more useful. The extra covered storage space has already come in handy so many times!

The truck is backed into the garage due to severe storm threats right now, so I can't get an up close rear picture. But hopefully this one from when I installed the roof rack will suffice. I can take plenty more, from any/all angles, if you'd like.

IMG_20200529_193745955.jpg

Crossczech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew, FX4
Awesome, thanks! That picture is fine, gives me a good idea of the overall look. No need to pull the truck out and take more pics. I'm mostly trying to convince myself I'll be happy with the 100XR since I can get it a two hour drive down the highway, but the ARE dealer is four hours away and $1200 more for the Z2.

Sdmason88

First Name
Skylar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Anyone else’s cap leak real bad when it rains, especially down the two front corners of the truck bed?
If you came up w/ a DIY solution, what was it?

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone else’s cap leak real bad when it rains, especially down the two front corners of the truck bed?
Are you certain it was installed correctly? I haven't had leaking issues on mine at all.

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I had also contacted LEER, specifically about their 100XQ. I just received a response that “a number of outstanding” LEER caps will be available in April. However the 100XQ will not be one of them. I’m thinking A.R.E. CX Revo if that becomes available.
I was told by “autoplex” that they don’t make the XQ for the Ranger. That’s the one I wanted. I don’t know what the truth is...

Deleted member 1634

Mine doesn't leak around the front 2 corners at all. Sounds like it was installed incorrectly or at the very least insufficiently. Mine leaked where the rear window corners met the tailgate and topper frame at once. A couple little chunks of my leftover tailgate seal fixed that problem quick. Now the only place I get leaks into the bed are at the lower corners of the tailgate, still trying to work on that one.
Sponsored