Ford Performance Tune

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I already installed the MagnaFlo cat back. I think this made a difference alone. I wanted to increase the air flow with the Roush. I ran into the same problem with delivery. So, I'm still waiting for Roush to get back to business. Michigan is a bit slow in the get back to work scenario.
I'll add the CAI once it's available. The cat back eliminated the restriction in the muffler and sounds pretty nice.
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
So, Power over Ethernet (PoE)?? Or just a convenient connector?? Which begs the question: is the ODB-II always hot?? Guess I better look with a volt meter.
So, guys, to sum up, based on the experience of members who have already done this, after the tune, performance does improve noticeably, and the unit does not need to be plugged in or even remain in the vehicle? If we don't want to have the screen handy, we can just leave it in the garage or someplace clean and dry for future reference, as needed?

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
That is so much like the Livernois unit it is scary. I have the Livernois, but have not installed it on our new Ranger since we totaled our original one. Guess it would be nice to not loose the drivetrain warranty. It’s just money. Right.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
That is so much like the Livernois unit it is scary. I have the Livernois, but have not installed it on our new Ranger since we totaled our original one. Guess it would be nice to not loose the drivetrain warranty. It’s just money. Right.
It is the same little magic box. It just has a rubber cover on it. The software to run it from Ford Performance even comes from livernois as well.

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and was told to expect it around July 4th. I have had experience with K&N filters and I will stick with the O.E. filter. They do allow better air flow but don't filter anywhere as good as the O.E. filter

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and was told to expect it around July 4th. I have had experience with K&N filters and I will stick with the O.E. filter. They do allow better air flow but don't filter anywhere as good as the O.E. filter
Thanks for your input on the filter. Have OE. Low mileage user and like it for now. You'd hit the dunes with OE over KN..to protect your turbo and stuff? Just curious.

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
What all can you display?
I don't know because I never mess with it. Loaded and works great. I think we may have more limitations on mods being in CA. It does everything based on your vin, after you plug it in. I am really happy for stiffer shifting. .. .Ok, and the tire chirp if you press it a bit.

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your input on the filter. Have OE. Low mileage user and like it for now. You'd hit the dunes with OE over KN..to protect your turbo and stuff? Just curious.
yes, I will sell the K&N I won't put it on my truck. "project farm" on you tube did a thing on air filters that anyone that is thinking about using a K&N filter should watch

Last edited:

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
yes, I will sell the K&N I won't put it on my truck. "project farm" on you tube did a thing on air filters that anyone that is thinking about using a K&N filter should watch
Thanks for sharing. Great info.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
So, guys, to sum up, according to the test shown in this video, the K&N will give you increased air flow and thus performance, but at the price of letting in air that is less well filtered than the competing brands tested, which, of course, could be dangerous to various components of the drive train down the line. Unfortunately, unless I am missing something, the test does not show the Ranger's stock filter, which would be the most meaningful comparison for those considering the Ford Performance Tune Pack with K&N filter. Still, combined with the experiences of some members shared above, I would be wary of putting the K&N to work in my truck. What do members think about getting the tune but leaving the stock filter in? Would this reduce the benefits of the tune significantly? Or, assuming that I will not be placing extreme demands on the engine, would there be any risk to this approach? Or would one be well advised to do the tune but replace the stock filter with another aftermarket filter? In which case, which one? For cleaner air intake, money is no object....

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
So, guys, to sum up, according to the test shown in this video, the K&N will give you increased air flow and thus performance, but at the price of letting in air that is less well filtered than the competing brands tested, which, of course, could be dangerous to various components of the drive train down the line. Unfortunately, unless I am missing something, the test does not show the Ranger's stock filter, which would be the most meaningful comparison for those considering the Ford Performance Tune Pack with K&N filter. Still, combined with the experiences of some members shared above, I would be wary of putting the K&N to work in my truck. What do members think about getting the tune but leaving the stock filter in? Would this reduce the benefits of the tune significantly? Or, assuming that I will not be placing extreme demands on the engine, would there be any risk to this approach? Or would one be well advised to do the tune but replace the stock filter with another aftermarket filter? In which case, which one? For cleaner air intake, money is no object....
My opinion, I have the tune w k&n, but I doubt the filter makes much difference. Ford oem filter hecho en Mexico. Plastic instead of metal screen. After watching that video, I am probably going to puralator for dirt running. K & N website sure makes it look like it filters better than paper. Love the tune for the better shift response.

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Not for me. When I lived in Florida I had one on 5.0 Mustang. Lots of sand on the other side. Never again.