What do the intrusion beams look like deleted? Icon lift w/285's question

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Whats a Ranger look like without the intrusion beams altogether? Is there a giant void or opened up body panel?

I am going with an Icon stage 1 leveling kit and 285-70-17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and 1.25" spacers on factory 17" magnetic sport wheels, i have a feeling I will rub but I'm not sure. Posts all over the place with different results. I don't have time to order bds offset crash bars yet. Those can come after the install, but debating if I should cut or delete the crash bars now nefore the install, then do the bds once they come?

I loosened and adjusted the fronts as far forward as I could and retighrened them, do I wait and see if I rub?
Sponsored

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think you might be fine. I have a 3” level and 1/4” front spacers with 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and I clear the crash bars. Stock wheels as well.
I did take the plastic cover off of them.
Getting the FOX 2.0s w/ BDS uppers . I still think I’ll be fine with the crash bars.
It’s when I run a lower offset rim, then you will have crash bar issues.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you might be fine. I have a 3” level and 1/4” front spacers with 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and I clear the crash bars. Stock wheels as well.
I did take the plastic cover off of them.
Getting the FOX 2.0s w/ BDS uppers . I still think I’ll be fine with the crash bars.
It’s when I run a lower offset rim, then you will have crash bar issues.
With the 1.25" spacers I'm essentially running a a 17x7" wheel with 23mm offset vs the 17x7" 55mm offset wheels if you break the spacer down into offset. Most ranger wheels are 18 or less so that's a good sign im not too far out, I hope. Haha. I couldn't find anyone with the 1" in stock.

I will remove the two Phillips plastic screws that hold that cap on tomorrow and see if that's enough. Pray ?

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
With the 1.25" spacers I'm essentially running a a 17x7" wheel with 23mm offset vs the 17x7" 55mm offset wheels if you break the spacer down into offset. Most ranger wheels are 18 or less so that's a good sign im not too far out, I hope. Haha. I couldn't find anyone with the 1" in stock.

I will remove the two Phillips plastic screws that hold that cap on tomorrow and see if that's enough. Pray ?
I also heard that you can loose the crash bar bolts, and push it back to give you a quarter of an inch or so.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also heard that you can loose the crash bar bolts, and push it back to give you a quarter of an inch or so.
I did loosen them, one slid forward 1/4" forward, the other was already forward pretty much.

Tires come in to Discount Tire Wednesday. Not sure if they're going on Wednesday or the following day. Leveling kit and spacers tomorrow. So I was debating if when they have the front tires off tomorrow if we should just remove them. I prefer not to, if I won't need to.

So I guess my opinion is I'll leave them and check for rub first. If I rub them they're going bye bye and I will order the BDS ones. Remove plastic caps, reconfirm I've loosened them and slid them forward and wait and see.

Your truck and one other members were my inspiration for the look. Screen shots on my phone, haha.
Screenshot_20200419-230324_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200511-205635_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Between your 1/4" spacer and his 1.5" I'm a little less than him, so maybe no modification is needed.

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
We have 285/70/17 Toyo AT3 on 17x8.5 +25 offset wheels which sounds close to what you'll have. This is the clearance in front of the wheel with BDS intrusion beams:
IMG_20200416_124448.jpg

We actually left the behind-wheel OEM bars in place for now and those shouldn't be an issue although it's tight.

If you have the aero fairings in front of the tires you'll probably have to remove them. Ours would have been ripped off by the tires at lock. Pretty easy just 2-3 small bolts on each side.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have 285/70/17 Toyo AT3 on 17x8.5 +25 offset wheels which sounds close to what you'll have. This is the clearance in front of the wheel with BDS intrusion beams:
IMG_20200416_124448.jpg

We actually left the behind-wheel OEM bars in place for now and those shouldn't be an issue although it's tight.

If you have the aero fairings in front of the tires you'll probably have to remove them. Ours would have been ripped off by the tires at lock. Pretty easy just 2-3 small bolts on each side.
Is that at full lock for you? I'm assuming those bds gave you some space, but a whole inch, maybe not so that gives me hope that I'll fit.

Any details on the removal of those partial air dams? I looked into this but never knew those would be an issue. Is one of the arms welded on that supports those little air dams? Or is it fully just bolt on? I couldn't tell.

I can look tomorrow too.
20200511_182023.jpg
20200511_182042.jpg

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
IMG_20200416_124448.jpg

Had to remove ur front bumper to install the intrusion beams?

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks to the others who mentioned it before and helped: we used the method of loosening the opposite side and only fully removing the bumper nuts or bolts (can't remember which) on the side being worked on. Then pulled and slid the beam out, put them back on and switched sides. We kept the bumper on that way.

We did mark the OEM spots before with sharpie to get them back in place at the end.

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't remove front bumper, had friend cut bar, unbolt and replace with BDS replacement intrusion bars. The bars behind the wheels are tougher and my wheels were rubbing. I have a 2" level in the front with265/70r17s a relatively easy fix

Cliff stanton

First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ford ranger xlt sport
Occupation
Union steamfitter
Just wondering how your lift went? I’m actually rounding up parts to do basically the same as you only going with bf Goodrich all terrains 285/70r17. How did your spacers work out? I’m trying to find 1”. Thanks

WhiteBeastRangerNick

First Name
Nickolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew
Occupation
Field Calibration Technician
Whats a Ranger look like without the intrusion beams altogether? Is there a giant void or opened up body panel?

I am going with an Icon stage 1 leveling kit and 285-70-17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and 1.25" spacers on factory 17" magnetic sport wheels, i have a feeling I will rub but I'm not sure. Posts all over the place with different results. I don't have time to order bds offset crash bars yet. Those can come after the install, but debating if I should cut or delete the crash bars now nefore the install, then do the bds once they come?

I loosened and adjusted the fronts as far forward as I could and retighrened them, do I wait and see if I rub?
You will definitely rub if you don’t cut cut the front and rear bars both.

Last edited:

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
You will need to take out the OE crash bars, then your choice to replace, BDS set up I used, because I still wanted a bar there. Or u can rub on down the road lol
Sponsored