Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
they fit but are not plug and play

IMG_20200403_123157.jpg
Hi Paul,

Not being familliar with the Mustang lights, is not plug and play that the wiring connectors so not match up or that the sequential T/S is not functioning. Seems you need to sit down with a Mustang wiring schematic and a Ranger schematic and start comparing. Not sure of the sequential is in a module or in the actual Mustang lights... Interesting install...hope you can make it work... If all the wires are the same between the vehicles, maybe a ForScan code? Maybe others can comment.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

PAUL J CAIN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x2
Hi Paul,

Not being familliar with the Mustang lights, is not plug and play that the wiring connectors so not match up or that the sequential T/S is not functioning. Seems you need to sit down with a Mustang wiring schematic and a Ranger schematic and start comparing. Not sure of the sequential is in a module or in the actual Mustang lights... Interesting install...hope you can make it work... If all the wires are the same between the vehicles, maybe a ForScan code? Maybe others can comment.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
These are not made by ford and are aftermarket so a mustang wiring diagram will not help. I have requested that info from the manufacturing but to no avail .

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
These are not made by ford and are aftermarket so a mustang wiring diagram will not help. I have requested that info from the manufacturing but to no avail .
Even though they are aftermarket, they were made for the Mustang correct? If so then they have to be wired for and have an OEM style connector to install in a Mustang. Therefore, a Mustang wiring diagram would be helpful. ?

PAUL J CAIN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x2
Even though they are aftermarket, they were made for the Mustang correct? If so then they have to be wired for and have an OEM style connector to install in a Mustang. Therefore, a Mustang wiring diagram would be helpful. ?
No sir they are made for the ranger. just mimicking the mustangs headlights. they have the right square connector but have 2 additional ones . One is a 3 pin triangle and the other is a 2 pin oval

IMG_20200404_122312.jpg

IMG_20200404_122318.jpg

IMG_20200404_122321.jpg

IMG_20200404_122329.jpg

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
GTGallop: Back in the day...
Everyone else: Good GOD here he goes again.

Back in the day I had a 2000 Nissan Xterra. Ran the stock light bulbs untill they burned out. I got about three to four years out of them. When I replaced them, the headlights looked crystal clear. I dropped in some Sylvania Super Stars or Silver Stars something like that. High quality bulb from a reputable manufacturer - a premium product at the time.

Within about 6 months my headlights were frosted over and the bulbs lasted a year. When it came time to replace the bulbs, I pulled off the lights and did a really nice off truck restoration of the lenses. Dropped in another set of Sylvanias and the same thing happened. 6 months frosted plastic and about 9 to 12 months later bulbs died. This time they died on the same night within about 30 minutes of each other. Since it was dark I replaced them with "what ever the auto parts store had" bulbs. Generic stuff. Next weekend pulled the lights off the rig and restored the plastic. Those bulbs and the plastic lasted until I sold the truck. Not sure why but the Sylvania's seemed to be degrading the plastic.

So my question is this:
1. Is the Plastic better today? I hope so it has been 20 years and Plastic Headlamps were kind of "new" at the time.
2. Are the aftermarket bulbs better today?
3. Has anyone noticed lens degradation after changing out bulbs?

This guy seems to have a pretty good channel (not sold on his product yet).
https://www.youtube.com/user/HeadlightRevolution
But he doesn't address nongevity of the lens.

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No sir they are made for the ranger. just mimicking the mustangs headlights. they have the right square connector but have 2 additional ones . One is a 3 pin triangle and the other is a 2 pin oval

IMG_20200404_122312.jpg

IMG_20200404_122318.jpg

IMG_20200404_122321.jpg

IMG_20200404_122329.jpg

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I see, so it seems one connector is for the the DRLs, one is for the turn signal and the other is the headlight low/high beam.

Do you mind sharing where you got them from? I maybe inclined to obtain a set and find out how to get them to work. It would be a matter of bench testing them to see what each wire is and then determining which wires need to be tapped from the Ranger.

Scott

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This guy seems to have a pretty good channel (not sold on his product yet).
https://www.youtube.com/user/HeadlightRevolution
But he doesn't address nongevity of the lens.
This is a good find, the bulbs recommended are a bit pricey but I bet well worth it in my experience of adding LED bulbs to all of my cars and motorcycles in the past. To answer your question, yes, the plastics used these days for headlight lenses are much better than they were ten years ago.

PAUL J CAIN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x2
I see, so it seems one connector is for the the DRLs, one is for the turn signal and the other is the headlight low/high beam.

Do you mind sharing where you got them from? I maybe inclined to obtain a set and find out how to get them to work. It would be a matter of bench testing them to see what each wire is and then determining which wires need to be tapped from the Ranger.

Scott
sure
https://smokedlighting.com/product/15-19-ford-ranger-mustang-style-headlights-hid-or-halogen

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

PAUL J CAIN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x2
I have the "wiring" diagram from the mustang style lights I bought from Australia. It might be helpful to your situation. Off the vehicle, I would hook it to a 12vdc power source to confirm the wiring.
thanks for this

Deleted member 1634

The more I think about things, the more I realize I just want the XLT headlight layout, but with a projector low/high beam. I don't want the LED DRL strip along the edge or the turn signals that don't light up as parking lights. Maybe someday someone will come out with something like that.
Sponsored