Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
if you were like me, and wanted to run some wiring along the frame, but can't find the correct "firr tree push mounts" for the holes (5/16, ~10mm) because they all are for 1/4 inch holes (at least when you search on amazon, etc). I've found the solution!

Panduit has a good selection, and you can buy them individually from Mouser. These are the only ones I've found that don't need to be bulk ordered (500 qty) and that actually fit! There's a short video clip of me trying to remove one...

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/644-PUM-100-M30

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/644-PUM-100-2S-D30 You can get them with or without the corresponding zip tie.

Panduit is one of the manufacturers for a ton of wiring harness mounts and stuff anyway, but finding these wasn't terribly easy because so many don't list the hole diameter...

photo_2022-11-17_13-48-04.jpg

photo_2022-11-17_13-47-56.jpg

photo_2022-11-17_13-47-52.jpg

photo_2022-11-17_13-47-49.jpg

photo_2022-11-17_13-47-44.jpg

Sponsored

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Good find!

I used a ton of Panduit products when I was working. They make good stuff.

Back in the 70s, before political correctness was a thing, Panduit's zip ties were called Pan-Ties. They were the first zip ties I ever used, but not the last by far.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Ethan
Might need to go back and clean up my frame routing!

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Well these are new to me. I was actually expecting a picture of a giant zip tie going all the way around the frame. Good find.

Waltztj

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired
When I had my Jeep Wrangler I just fished the wire bundle thru the frame front to back then out any hole that was close. I will do the same with the Ranger when I need to add something.

OP
OP
WLFPIR8

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
When I had my Jeep Wrangler I just fished the wire bundle thru the frame front to back then out any hole that was close. I will do the same with the Ranger when I need to add something.
I was going to try that, and may still in the future, but my only two issues were: If the wires are laying on the frame bottom, that's a a chance for water too pool/not drain/sit there causing eventual damage (long long term mostly, but just my thoughts on it) and there are some routes i found through the frame that are very tricky (straight up pita) to get through. Using fiberglass push rods to find a good path had some hang-ups. I'll try again when i get some of the more flexible fish tape.

Either way. If it works it works!

Reactions: Doc

Waltztj

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired
Just have to use the correct wire for outdoor use and you will never have a problem. When I was doing the jeep I used XHHW wire which is rated for hard use and outdoor use,

Reactions: Doc

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
I recently ran all this wiring thru the frame....did not want any thing hanging out that could get snagged on branches or crushed on rocks...
20221027_160939.jpg
20221113_175925.jpg
Sponsored