Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of people have expressed interest in this so I figured I'd do a thread on it.

First, I will say I love it. It was easy to assemble and put on the truck. I am also thrilled it worked great with my bed cover.

The clearance for the bed cover was absolutely perfect. We had to do some fiddling to get the bed cover installed with the rack; we ended up uninstalling the rack with the mounting brackets left on the truck. It was a touch nerve racking as we had tightened everything up and it was under a lot of tension. Once we got the tonneau cover installed over the rack's mounting brackets, we slipped the bed rack over the brackets' t-nuts and used a rubber mallet and our body weight to seat the rack over the brackets. It worked out pretty well and probably only set us back 3 minutes.

I was actually a little worried about the tolerances once we dropped the bed rack down on the bed rails of the truck. But tightening the brackets a little at a time drew everything where it needed to be perfectly.

I really think they have a hit on their hands with this product. It seems plenty rigid. It was easy to install. It assembled quickly. And the pricing is ridiculously good. I really think they could sell a ton of these.

2020-12-13 13.04.34.jpg

2020-12-13 13.04.55.jpg

2020-12-13 13.02.54.jpg

2020-12-13 13.02.51.jpg

2020-12-13 13.04.43.jpg

2020-12-13 13.03.38.jpg

2020-12-13 13.03.52.jpg

2020-12-12 14.32.55.jpg

2020-12-12 14.33.15.jpg

2020-12-12 14.43.11.jpg

2020-12-12 14.43.27.jpg
Sponsored

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Custom height is nice. My only gripe about using RCI as the base to my platform is I had to add a "middle layer" of supports to get proper over the cab clearance. Would have been a huge time saver if I could make the bed rack 20" tall (vs. 18"). They do make some cover adapter brackets that raise the height, but $150 for essentially some U brackets with a lip was a no go for me. I made the middle supports for like $40 after painting and hardware I think.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch, once I totaled out one I'd build it was about in the $1,000 spectrum.

My biggest complaint would be the extra cost to get it with a black finish. I don't see too many people wanting the silver aluminum look unless maybe they have a silver truck?

Cool product for sure. I think 80/20 is going to grow in popularity.

Ds_2020Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX4
Ive been looking at this rack, I would like the rack alone to be as close to or a bit taller than the cab, so Im thinking the 18" would get me there? I have a super cab and Id like to do something similar to OFC Ranger and have a platform that covers the rack and expands over the cab.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been looking at this rack, I would like the rack alone to be as close to or a bit taller than the cab, so Im thinking the 18" would get me there? I have a super cab and Id like to do something similar to OFC Ranger and have a platform that covers the rack and expands over the cab.
The cool thing with this rack is you can measure how tall you want it exactly, and they'll construct it that height. Someone posted on the Xtrusion Overland Designs user group (Facebook) that they ordered one for their Tacoma that will fit over top their soft-topper. I'm looking forward to seeing how that worked out!

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 SuperCrew
Looks like a great rack. Are those the wider tonneau-compatible mount brackets? Do you think it would work to cut off the vertical section of that mounting bracket (that goes down and under the tonneau rail) and then drill and bolt the remaining flat section of the mounting bracket to the Ranger bed rail?

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a great rack. Are those the wider tonneau-compatible mount brackets? Do you think it would work to cut off the vertical section of that mounting bracket (that goes down and under the tonneau rail) and then drill and bolt the remaining flat section of the mounting bracket to the Ranger bed rail?
The brackets I've got installed are wider to accommodate my tonneau cover. The cool thing about this system is it can be adapted to work for just about anything. If you are interested in going the route of being able to directly bolt an Xtrusion rack to your bedrail, I highly suggest reaching out to Alan Reyes from Xtrusion Overland and talking to him about it. He is highly approachable and easy to communicate with. And he and his team are wizards at this stuff!

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I bought my truck March 2nd and have been trying to design the roof/tonneau racks to fit and work around my DiamnondBack cover ever since. I thought I had my "final" plan worked out again with a FrontRunner Universal track and bar set, but the mod I had planned isn't going to work, now that I have the actual product in hand. The project kinda stalled on that, and I worked on other things while I struggled to find a solution. This thread inspired me to get going again, and yesterday I bought all the parts for what I believe is my final build... again.

Pretty excited, THANKS!!!!

Last edited:

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
The customizability of these seems great. The problem I'm having as someone whose never bought a rack before is understanding what some of these options are and what they'd look like on the truck. Mainly the wing size and the finish options. If they had pictures of each option and maybe a couple different heights as well, that would be very helpful for someone buying one for the first time.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
The customizability of these seems great. The problem I'm having as someone whose never bought a rack before is understanding what some of these options are and what they'd look like on the truck. Mainly the wing size and the finish options. If they had pictures of each option and maybe a couple different heights as well, that would be very helpful for someone buying one for the first time.
Try E mailing them. You may have to use their fasteners for the T slots

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Being mine was the first one for a Ranger, I know exactly what your talking about. I'll try to help you out best I can and please feel free to ask any specific questions!

The black finish is pretty much black. I am pretty sure the other finish is basically clear coated, dull aluminum, from what I've seen. Both actually look great, but I went with black to match aspects of my truck.

To dial in the height of the rack, I went out to the driveway with a tape measure and just decided what height I wanted. by measuring up the back window of the truck off the bedrail. In retrospect, I wish I had gone taller than I did (15") so that I could extend the bed rack over the top of the cab!!!!!

I went with the wide wing brackets to accommodate my hard roll-up tonneau cover. If you have no plans or desire to run a similar style tonneau, you could just go with the standard style brackets.

Here is how the truck is looking today with the Xtrusion Overland rack!
2021-07-17 11.17.11.jpg

2021-07-17 11.34.57.jpg

2021-07-17 11.35.45.jpg

2021-07-17 11.16.25.jpg
Sponsored