XLT to Lariat Headlamp Upgrade

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
For the pair, yes. Lol....different, I don't have time for retrofitting anymore. Luckily I haven't seen any Lariats in town....everybody here is stuck on Tacoma.
The reflector lamps of the XLT have grown on me for now, just need to find a better bulb for them.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
The reflector lamps of the XLT have grown on me for now, just need to find a better bulb for them.
If I had gone the XLT route I would have looked into HID kitsch, I've found them to work better than the current LED bulb options.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
With lighting off, I love the look of the XLT's headlight assemblies much more than the headlight assembly look of my Lariat.

mntbighker

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
If I had gone the XLT route I would have looked into HID kitsch, I've found them to work better than the current LED bulb options.
Yeah, I think HID are better suited to replace halogen, based solely on light distribution from the bulb. But many contend there is too much light leakage and fringing, so maybe there is no winning.

Pluto

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
As a follow up, if you find another set for that cheap, PLEASE let me know! Would love to get a set on my XLT.

@User79

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
A little off topic, does anyone know if the Lariat fog lamps are LED and a complete unit? Rather than the XLT halogen bulb and regular housing?

Last edited:

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
Yep, Lariat fog lights are LED.
I had a feeling they were, just based on the parts available for them. There was no bulb listed, only a complete housing and adjustment screw. $100 a piece from Fordparts.com isn't too bad for that type of upgrade.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly...they make LED bulb for this lamp, which IMO is much more appealing in design...

BOT_ROCKET

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 5sp
The statement about LEDs having poor beam patterns is not true for all LED bulbs. The ones that have slim arrays and thin boards are designed to mimic the filament of a halogen bulb. Those ones have a much better beam than the old design with chips like the cree xhp series (square array with a clear dome). I recently swapped my fox body headlight bulbs and the led beam pattern is nearly identical to the halogens. It's hard to tell in the pic because the led is so much brighter, but in person it looks fantastic. For one of the cheapest LED kits on the market, these Hikari bulbs rock. Once I get my ranger I plan on opting for a more expensive (still under $200) led such as the Hikari Ultra, DeAutoLED or Lumibright.

I'm not saying not to get the Lariat assembly. Just dont do it solely because you think the drop in LEDs are bad. You just need to do a little research before you buy. There are lots of LEDs with horribad beam patterns, but the technology has advanced to where there are some really good options.

20191002_183615.jpg

20191002_182414.jpg

20191002_190734.jpg

Last edited:

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
The statement about LEDs having poor beam patterns is not true for all LED bulbs. The ones that have slim arrays and thin boards are designed to mimic the filament of a halogen bulb. Those ones have a much better beam than the old design with chips like the cree xhp series (square array with a clear dome). I recently swapped my fox body headlight bulbs and the led beam pattern is nearly identical to the halogens. It's hard to tell in the pic because the led is so much brighter, but in person it looks fantastic. For one of the cheapest LED kits on the market, these Hikari bulbs rock. Once I get my ranger I plan on opting for a more expensive (still under $200) led such as the Hikari Ultra, DeAutoLED or Lumibright.

I'm not saying not to get the Lariat assembly. Just dont do it solely because you dont think the drop in LEDs are bad. You just need to do a little research before you buy. There are lots of LEDs with horribad beam patterns, but the technology has advanced to where there are some really good options.

20191002_183615.jpg

20191002_182414.jpg

20191002_190734.jpg
I have the Hikari Ultra in mine.

IMG_20190922_225236703.jpg