First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I use tap water. Works really well, has no color to it. Not quite to sure of the chemicals that are added to it. Been doing it for years. Worked good so far. I live in south texas. Where it rarely freezes, and rarely lose power. Except for winter storms that cripple my whole state. I can get away with it because of the freezing temps that very very very rarely happen here
Sponsored

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Been using the 303 tablets with 1 gallon of distilled water. Have had no residue or damage yet on the last 2 cars I've used them on. Tip dissolve the tablet in the gallon jug before you pour it in your truck. allows you to shake it well and make sure the tablet was completely dissolved.

DuckDCoy

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I have never in my life heard anyone complain about windshield washer fluid ruining paint. I live in Michigan and I’m far more concerned about rust from salt than the highly unlikely chance that my windshield washer fluid is going to rinse my paint off. I have never had an issue on any vehicle I’ve ever owned, most of them long term, with the paint around the windshield.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I have never in my life heard anyone complain about windshield washer fluid ruining paint. I live in Michigan and I’m far more concerned about rust from salt than the highly unlikely chance that my windshield washer fluid is going to rinse my paint off. I have never had an issue on any vehicle I’ve ever owned, most of them long term, with the paint around the windshield.
Only in the past decade has the formulation of paints used on cars changed. For the most part they got away from solvent based products for environmental reasons to water based paints. Being this type of formulation they will act differently. Today’s paint is also much thinner coats than what were applied in the past! So, things like alcohol or other solvents will react differently than in the past.

BoilerMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
See username
My wife’s Ranger advised her that her reservoir was low. I immediately filled her tank with the Rain-X purple stuff. Her favorite color is purple. I have considered the potential for washer fluid to affect paint. Will probably never flush my windshield washer reservoir but nice to have the proper procedure in this post.

DuckDCoy

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Only in the past decade has the formulation of paints used on cars changed. For the most part they got away from solvent based products for environmental reasons to water based paints. Being this type of formulation they will act differently. Today’s paint is also much thinner coats than what were applied in the past! So, things like alcohol or other solvents will react differently than in the past.
does this apply to the clear coat applied to the paint? Wouldn’t a clear coat and wax job completely mitigate this? It’s not like the washer fluid is being applied directly to the paint.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
does this apply to the clear coat applied to the paint? Wouldn’t a clear coat and wax job completely mitigate this? It’s not like the washer fluid is being applied directly to the paint.
Paint is paint, clear or color it still uses the same bases. Additional barriers of polymers or waxes combined help seal the factory paint and clearcoats.

JACER

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Years ago there was a tip in Trailer Life Magazine (I've towed tag along & 5th wheel trailers for years) using plain water & a dishwasher additive called RINSE AID.

Granted I winter in Florida & summer in North Carolina so I haven't been concerned with freezing temps, but fill the tank & add 3 to 5 drops of the Rinse aid. (More than that & you can get water spots on glass).

Cleans great, bugs (Florida’s love bugs are awful) are wiped away.

The front of the truck -- well that's a different story entirely!!!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Why not just put water plus a couple of drops of carwash soap in your w/s washer. And a little elbow grease once in a while.
Sponsored