Winch Capable Front Bumper

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
With that mount and without the bar over the top, it looks like the ACC module would be just fine and not even need to be relocated?
I don’t think so. It’s easy to relocate, I’d go that route.
Sponsored

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I have the @589FAB hidden winch mount similar to @RoadBoss.
Very happy with it. ?
(my goal was to keep the mostly stock Roush Ranger look)

The only thing I did different is that, I added @SVC Offroad light bar and I also re-located my ACC sensor using the stock bracket:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...cc-sensor-relocation-using-oem-bracket.10171/

ETA: No issues with accessing winch clutch lever, ACC and parking sensors all works as it should.

8D501CA6-0142-4739-9BD2-2A7BFEA4D08E.jpeg

332FA545-B04E-4099-8D03-084F476ACD06.jpeg

47D68239-A666-402D-BC2B-0EC62E1CC68D.jpeg

E8C96337-9188-47B2-8BD3-C1F4ED87ECD0.jpeg

F4EE7106-93CC-40D4-A3C2-FA701ACBD818.jpeg

8A518B81-AE8D-494B-918B-D5B39CB7DCEE.jpeg
That looks great. I have the same winch mount on its way to me now. Was it difficult to install? Require any special tools or cutting? How did you manage the power on/off? I'm mulling options but would be curious to hear your experience.

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
That looks great. I have the same winch mount on its way to me now. Was it difficult to install? Require any special tools or cutting? How did you manage the power on/off? I'm mulling options but would be curious to hear your experience.
It would be better and quicker if you have a 2nd person to help.
(my son helped when I needed someone to hold the mount, and in putting oem bumper back)

As far as tools...

A good floor jack, with a piece of flat 2x6 wood at least 2-3ft.

I have several sets of SAE and metric ratcheting wrench. You def need at least 2 (one to hold bolt in place, and one to tighten).

Also, I used an oscillating tool with a multi cut-off blade. It made it easier to trim the plastic inside. (it would make sense, once you start mocking up the winch mount, it would hit the plastic trim on each side, and you would know how much or how little you need to trim)

As for power, It would depend on the winch you ordered. You have to figure out how much wiring to add, if you need to relocate the controller.
I ended up ordering/using a Rough Country 2 gauge winch lead wires set. (so together with what came with the kit, it was enough wires for the control box relocation)
Routing the wires is a Pain, because of the thickness. Take it slow, be patient and Good Luck!

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
It would be better and quicker if you have a 2nd person to help.
(my son helped when I needed someone to hold the mount, and in putting oem bumper back)

As far as tools...

A good floor jack, with a piece of flat 2x6 wood at least 2-3ft.

I have several sets of SAE and metric ratcheting wrench. You def need at least 2 (one to hold bolt in place, and one to tighten).

Also, I used an oscillating tool with a multi cut-off blade. It made it easier to trim the plastic inside. (it would make sense, once you start mocking up the winch mount, it would hit the plastic trim on each side, and you would know how much or how little you need to trim)

As for power, It would depend on the winch you ordered. You have to figure out how much wiring to add, if you need to relocate the controller.
I ended up ordering/using a Rough Country 2 gauge winch lead wires set. (so together with what came with the kit, it was enough wires for the control box relocation)
Routing the wires is a Pain, because of the thickness. Take it slow, be patient and Good Luck!
That's really very helpful, thanks. Did you fuse the line at all or develop done way to energize/deenergize the winch when needed, or no? I'm leaning towards no fuse, there's nothing to protect, it just adds a failure point in a system that, when you need it you really need it not to fail. But if there was a super chonky 500A toggle somewhere, I don't dislike that idea. How did you go about it? Just leave it energized? I think I'm learning this is the most common method.

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
That's really very helpful, thanks. Did you fuse the line at all or develop done way to energize/deenergize the winch when needed, or no? I'm leaning towards no fuse, there's nothing to protect, it just adds a failure point in a system that, when you need it you really need it not to fail. But if there was a super chonky 500A toggle somewhere, I don't dislike that idea. How did you go about it? Just leave it energized? I think I'm learning this is the most common method.
I just make sure engine is running, prior to using it.
(It could drain your battery)
As far as it being energized/On, it would only engage if you attach the wired switch to the controller, so its not really On all the time.

I have used several winch brands in the past. (back in my jeep days)
Have not seen one that required a fuse or breaker with the install.

But saying that, I do have an Auxiliary power box, which provides protection for my aux lights, compressor, etc. It wont handle that high of an amp that the winch requires, so a dedicated high amp breaker would be ideal.

2020 Ranger

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired U.S. Marine
I didn't change the whole bumper, but I installed the 589 fab hidden winch mount in the factory bumper.

if you're just simply looking to install a winch I think this is a great option.

if you're looking for a style change as well, then this is not an option.

IMG_20200310_104546829_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200310_104551397.jpg
I like the stock bumper. Do you have a link for the fab 589?

2020 Ranger

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired U.S. Marine
Does anyone have a link for the Winch bracket? This looks great!!!

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Westin Automotive and Superwinch have teamed up to build a winch bumper/bull bar. They should be releasing it soon. David at Westin would know more information if you called them. Based out in San Dimas, CA.

Screenshot (28).png
I kind of want this!

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
The ARB Summit bumper is also compatible with the ACC.

ARB-RANGER-FALL-6_1096x480-1.jpg

I probably won't get one until this spring or summer so I'm hoping more options may be available then.

As of right now, the ARB is my top choice.
That thing looks like it weights a ton. I know that's a good thing, but also... a bad thing if you also daily the truck.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Recently stumbled across a Hybrid bumper of Winch / Baja styles, unfortunately it’s only for Tacoma’s. However after talking to him, all he’s missing is a Ranger in Colorado to get started (; with all the rendering and measurements anyone in Colorado willing to help and finally get us a SLICK bumper? Just love the styling of how it doesn’t stick out a ton, increasing approach angles and creating a seamless look to the front of the truck!
A40CF5A7-7D8B-40CA-9B57-2489E338EA10.png
This I like. Strong where it needs to be but not overly huge and heavy. I, for one, do not want a bumper that sticks out for days... that makes no sense.

OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
This I like. Strong where it needs to be but not overly huge and heavy. I, for one, do not want a bumper that sticks out for days... that makes no sense.
That's why I went with the ADD. It sticks out about zero.

ADD.png

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That thing looks like it weights a ton. I know that's a good thing, but also... a bad thing if you also daily the truck.
I love it! I only lost .25" from the combined weight of the bumper and winch after I lifted the truck 3.75".
2021-05-08 10.59.34.jpg

2021-05-08 12.40.07.jpg

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I love it! I only lost .25" from the combined weight of the bumper and winch after I lifted the truck 3.75".
Did you upgrade your springs? 3.75? If I recall correctly, you have spacers installed right? Plus a leveling kit I imagine? I want the same bumper but I will probably upgrade my front springs with beefyer eibachs. I have the standard ones that came with the Fox 2.5 DSC setup. It will sag too much with these.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner