Wife borrowed truck, found it in 4H next morning, now clicking in steering going over speed bumps...

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I bet she was racing people at stoplights. Seriously though, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
Sponsored

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Someone should invent a knob cover for that thing. Something that is also waterproof. My dog bumped it while driving once. Also, My friend has a VW Tiguan that got A fried parking brake when she spilled coffee on her center console. I’d hate to lose my 4wd and TM.
Hmmm might be time for the sSteering ignition cover guy to 3D print something and sell it. A cover or something that keeps it from moving. I bump the thing once in a while too.

I'm in 4WD almost everyday just getting to my house and I've left it on and bumped it on before. It get's a little screwy like something is wrong and then the truck works it out. It's an odd vehicle.
I suspect it's not good for the truck to have it in 4WD while it is on asphalt, for an extended period at least. I can feel it when I've accidentally bumped the knob. When I make a turn on the road I'm thinking hmmmm.... then when I'm navigating a parking lot I'm like OK WTF is wrong with my truck. 4WD really needs a soft surface that gives - snow gravel dirt mud whatever.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I thought they reverted back to 2H every time you turned them off?

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
The other day while merging onto the highway ... my phone fell off the magnetic mount, landed on the dial and spun it to 4L. It was flashing, the neutral message appeared etc. I wish that dial had stronger detents or something.

Deleted member 1634

Someone should invent a knob cover for that thing. Something that is also waterproof. My dog bumped it while driving once. Also, My friend has a VW Tiguan that got A fried parking brake when she spilled coffee on her center console. I’d hate to lose my 4wd and TM.
I feel like the bigger safety issue is your dog being around in the front, all over the center console, while you're driving.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
On one of the 1/4 mile vids I was watching online the guy puts it in 4h to run the track
Yes very common. Its big in the diesel truck drag racing scene. Almost have to because it would be nothing but wheel spin with those otherwise.

2H to 4H on the fly up to 68 mph. There is a note that lifting throttle might help engage 4H.

Stop and shift to neutral, then 4L can be engaged.
I kinda tested this the other day when I first bought it. Highway at about 60 it would shift into 4wd. Tried on the interstate at about 75 and wouldn't shift in, would just sit there and flash on the dial.

Yea I did it on purpose. I know I'm weird.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have not tested this but I thought our trucks defaulted to 2H when the ignition is cycled off / on.
I thought they reverted back to 2H every time you turned them off?
Mine doesn't default to 2WD after shutting it off (FX4).

If it's in 4H when I shut it off, it starts back up in 4H (I haven't tried 4L but I suspect it would be the same).

This is actually preferable to me.

I'd hate to be on a trail and shut my truck off to inspect a route in front of me, then restart it and it be in 2H only for me to then discover that change after I am stuck. The 4H indicator is not that big in the instrument cluster so I can see where someone who is not familiar with the truck could easily overlook it.

Edit: Just went out and tested it. It stays in 4L too if you shut it off.

Last edited:

Knothead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew FX4, Lariat 501A and chrome package
I did a thing today. LOL it actually works perfect at keeping the truck in 2wd when reaching into the cubby.

caffeine tea 4x4.jpg

JDMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2017 Ford F250 Powerstroke
Occupation
Mechanic
My wife complained when I got my Ranger but when her car was down for a week, she drove the Ranger and didn't want to give it up. She's in love with it now!

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
All you guys with wives and girlfriends that love to take over your truck. Mine is 5 foot nuthin in thick soled shoes with an updo and a little white lie. Stock XLT 4x4. I had to get one that has step rails so she could get in. She hates it because of the height (she drives the mustang).

If she ever starts to fancy it just one bit, I'm adding a lift and larger tires.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
No need for a lift, just put a raspy exhaust on it.

I put a full 3" exhaust on my V8 Grand Cherokee and now my wife hates it :devil:

Downside is that both of my sons love it :LOL:
Sponsored