First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I typically change tires myself on all our vehicles. We put these cheapo Westlake tires on my wife’s Subaru and 30,000 miles later they are wearing great with very minimal vibration. Balancing tires is overrated. My Ranger on the other hand needed balancing when I swapped wheels. I drive the vehicle then decide if I need to balance them lol

Oh ya, what I was getting at with all this.. I don’t believe the spare not being balanced effects the speed or miles used..
Sponsored

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I typically change tires myself on all our vehicles. We put these cheapo Westlake tires on my wife’s Subaru and 30,000 miles later they are wearing great with very minimal vibration. Balancing tires is overrated. My Ranger on the other hand needed balancing when I swapped wheels. I drive the vehicle then decide if I need to balance them lol

Oh ya, what I was getting at with all this.. I don’t believe the spare not being balanced effects the speed or miles used..
I get it but, it would be easier to just get the spare balanced and put it back than try it on the front to see if it needs it or wait until I have a flat to find out.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
i think it says 50mph max because Ford knows its probably going to be installed by the owner or some other "uncertified" person and they are just covering their ass.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Yeah, mine is a steel wheel and the tire is the exact same size as my truck is rolling on. Only difference is the truck has LT 265/65 R17 109T, the spare isn't an LT, it is a 265/65 R17 112T.

The load rating of the spare tire (112T) exceeds the load rating of the tires on the truck (109T).

I think they put the "Temporary Use Only" and "50 MPH Max" stickers on every spare? No reason I can see that mine is labeled that way? Big ole heavy steel rim like they use on the stock XL's and a tire that has a higher load rating than the tires currently on the truck.
The LT version of the Hankook tires are almost 1/2” greater diameter than the standard load rated tire that is the spare. Perhaps more than a few miles might start to cause issues. It will probably trigger the traction control and ABS to shut-off.
Sponsored