First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It knows if a trailer is attached. It knows if you are in 4WD and which one. It senses load on the motor. It even knows what tilt angles the truck is in. Combine that with speed and gear, what more does it need?
And all that info is compiled where?

Oil life monitor doesn't do anything with conditions at all. It simply counts miles and time. On my truck at least. City driving, highway, towing, 4wd. It counts it all the same.
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
This is what i do with all of my trucks/cars. 5K tire rotation,oil and filter change.Easy to remember
That's what always did before I retired. Now that I don't commute to work anymore, and I have three vehicles that I rotate using, I still don't have 5,000 miles on the Ranger that was delivered in Dec. 2019. I service each vehicle in the fall before winter.

Now, it I could just get Carfax to stop nagging me because I haven't rotated the Ranger's tires yet, that would be good.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
And all that info is compiled where?

Oil life monitor doesn't do anything with conditions at all. It simply counts miles and time. On my truck at least. City driving, highway, towing, 4wd. It counts it all the same.
You asked how it knows, I told you.

I'm sure with all the processors on our trucks, ones we know about, and ones we don't. There is probly one or two that can find time while you sleep. Who cares, I don’t, I change my oil every 5000 miles about twice a year.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
You asked how it knows, I told you.

I'm sure with all the processors on our trucks, ones we know about, and ones we don't. There is probly one or two that can find time while you sleep. Who cares, I don’t, I change my oil every 5000 miles about twice a year.
I do the same. But I have paid attention to the OLM.

My point is that Ford's "Intelligent Oil Life Monitor" is just a clock/counter that was well named by their marketing team

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
My buddy the Iowa farmer never washed or changed his trucks oil. He just drove it till it wouldnt go any more then he bought another. Simple and convenient. IMHOP people who obsess over oil changing are just wasting oil. But, it keeps the economy going so carry on, its your money.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I know they call it an "intelligent oil life monitor."

But there is nothing magical or intelligent about it. It does not take driving conditions or anything else into play. It ONLY monitors time and mileage.
Doing the math on mine (granted, no towing and very little time in 4W) this seems close but a little off; I'm 2,700 miles since last oil change and monitor says I'm at 71%. If flatly based on 10,000, I should be at 73%. So it's accounting for some variables somewhere - I'm guessing it's the time running at idle, like lights and during remote starts. I know that it ignores the fuel burned during remote starts somehow. My truck was really close in mpg before winter and remote start season came along. Now it's still showing roughly the same mpg on the truck but real world mileage has dropped off by 3-4 mpg. If I run a tank without remote start, real world mileage goes back to matching truck.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Drive time. My oil life percentage plummeted when I starting doing exclusively short trips.

Oh and kudos to anyone rotating tires in the garage with jack stands every oil change. I might do it once every few years lol.
Discount Tire will rotate them for free, even if you didn't buy the tires there. At least the ones near me do. Same with repairs.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
hard data at its finest.

this is the fun part of a forum.

people make a claim, others counter it, but neither person has a solid argument for their opinion, and it just goes back and forth for post after post while no one solves the problem.
I provided you my hard data regarding the OLM in another thread.

But I do agree. The conversation is both interesting and fun. Sometimes it's about the journey, not the destination.

Doing the math on mine (granted, no towing and very little time in 4W) this seems close but a little off; I'm 2,700 miles since last oil change and monitor says I'm at 71%. If flatly based on 10,000, I should be at 73%. So it's accounting for some variables somewhere - I'm guessing it's the time running at idle, like lights and during remote starts. I know that it ignores the fuel burned during remote starts somehow. My truck was really close in mpg before winter and remote start season came along. Now it's still showing roughly the same mpg on the truck but real world mileage has dropped off by 3-4 mpg. If I run a tank without remote start, real world mileage goes back to matching truck.
That's interesting about the remote starts. I hadn't noticed that before.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
My buddy the Iowa farmer never washed or changed his trucks oil. He just drove it till it wouldnt go any more then he bought another. Simple and convenient. IMHOP people who obsess over oil changing are just wasting oil. But, it keeps the economy going so carry on, its your money.
Had a neighbor who decided to do that with his older Hyundai Sonata. Thing sat outside 24/7, he took small trips as he worked from home. He was a bit of a loner, kept to himself. 7 years later he had to get an small exhaust leak and emergency brake line fixed, both rusted away. When he came back from the dealer that repaired it, he bitched how much money he spent for the repairs, which in my opinion were reasonable. Plus they washed and cleaned his car so well it looked like a new car. :oops::shock::crackup:

I asked him if he finally got an oil change? He stated the dealer highly recommended it, but he insisted it was fine starting and running, so he passed on it. Shortly there after the neighbor moved, and wouldn't you know it, he made the 1000mile trek without an issue. I swear the guy was a cheap SOB and had a horseshoe stuck up his @$$ :crackup:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I provided you my hard data regarding the OLM in another thread.

But I do agree. The conversation is both interesting and fun. Sometimes it's about the journey, not the destination.

That's interesting about the remote starts. I hadn't noticed that before.
The remote start thing is my own theory. I'd like to see if someone else experiences the same thing. I can't think of anything else that would account for it.

EDIT - I should add I only use the scheduled remote starts; I'm not starting it off the fob. I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Current KM's 50944

History, Oil changed July 28, 2021, @ 49882km

Mileage on oil : 1062km
Age on oil : 205 days.

My math says I am at 56% life by date , and I show 44% remaining.
Obviously mine at this oil change is only calculating the date. I have reached no other thresholds of data that may be monitored at this time.

I have done no towing. mixed hwy/city, and limited 4x4 use this past month. Standard empty weight, no heavy loads.
Mostly D, occasional S and no tow mode. Drive it hard some days, baby it others. Idle it lots to warm up. Haven't been stuck in much traffic, but ASS takes care of any excess idle times.

With my "data" I could simply state that the oil monitor goes of date alone. but that's hogwash and we all know it.
I could ramp up my mileage, go on some long trips or work locally like i did a year ago and be changing my oil every 3 months at the high mileage mark, and come to a different conclusion, but as you can see, my driving style isn't a controlled parameter. Nothing about my driving other than date and time can be considered a constant.
To get that control, we have to eliminate a lot of things and standardize them.
With my "data" I can offer it up for peer review, or i could just keep ramming it down peoples throats until they believe that the oil monitor is just a clock. Which by all intensive purposes right now, it is....it's counting down 365 days for me rather accurately.

So, while I might appreciate your "data" and give it some thought, you have zero controls in place to confirm what you claim. Its still just your opinion based on an every day driver, with plenty of variables, none of which can form any hard concrete findings. You also don't have intimate knowledge of the system from the design perspective either, so coupling your "data" with this lack of knowledge, still doesn't convince me I should take your information verbatim.
I will respectfully consider your perception on how this system works, even though it is just a blind shot into the dark. It may be a bullseye if proper data comes to the table, but that would be like giving me a medal for my Ted Talks on fuel octane ratings.
As I suspected. You've completely ignored the relatively controlled data I provided in the aforementioned thread.

I'm not trying to "ram anything down anybodies throat." Well, unless you're offering? I'm simply stating the facts as I have observed them.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
The remote start thing is my own theory. I'd like to see if someone else experiences the same thing. I can't think of anything else that would account for it.

EDIT - I should add I only use the scheduled remote starts; I'm not starting it off the fob. I don't know if that would make a difference or not.
I think it's an interesting theory. I'll try to pay attention on mine as I use remote start A LOT.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
I assumed this op thread would yield 2 or 3 responses but here we are on page 3 and counting. Vehicles nowadays just have too many sensors and instead of making things more convenient it can cause doubt hence this discussion about so called intelligent oil meter. We pretty much know the routine by now. Change oil every 5k regardless if driving style and good to go