John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a great setup. Pretty easy install also. Got it from Stage 3 Motorsports. They’re a sponsor on this forum.
How high is yours set in that picture?
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
My set up is the bed. I specifically bought my Ranger because I was tired of car topping my wife’s and my kayak.
I open the tail gate and put them in the bed. I’ve put up to 4 kayaks in the bed and 3 of them are 12ft plus heavy fishing kayaks.

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
My set up is the bed. I specifically bought my Ranger because I was tired of car topping my wife’s and my kayak.
I open the tail gate and put them in the bed. I’ve put up to 4 kayaks in the bed and 3 of them are 12ft plus heavy fishing kayaks.

Same. I've driven thousands of miles with canoes and kayaks strapped in a 6'5" bed, the 6' bed of my ranger will have no problem hauling the same way! Plus I'd hate to lift my fishing yak onto racks. After a long day of not catching fish I'm usually pretty tired. ?

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Kinda hard to do when you’re towing this
85CF5269-CD83-451B-83E5-86F50A223D3F.jpeg

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
Question: Do you all mount the kayaks right side up or down?
I own a 12-8" Sit on top angler kayak. I have it mounted on a rack on top of a Smart Cap. If I keep it right side up it can get water in it. If I turn it upside down, it does not fit correctly on the Yakima feet.
Really getting tired of buying crap so I can carry it.
Can I just mount it upside down directly onto the crossbars? Will it damage it somehow. I would think that the straps should hold it down well enough not to go anywhere.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
That's how I get to and from local spots. If I'm going further I use a hitch extension. Now I'm adding option 3 because I also want to be able to bring them with on my longer camping trips and want the bed back for camping gear.

Last edited:

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Question: Do you all mount the kayaks right side up or down?
I own a 12-8" Sit on top angler kayak. I have it mounted on a rack on top of a Smart Cap. If I keep it right side up it can get water in it. If I turn it upside down, it does not fit correctly on the Yakima feet.
Really getting tired of buying crap so I can carry it.
Can I just mount it upside down directly onto the crossbars? Will it damage it somehow. I would think that the straps should hold it down well enough not to go anywhere.
I mean, at a minimum, cut of a pool noodle and put it over the crossbar. The cheapest and simplest racks I've seen have basically been that... I want to say its a strap that goes through the car doors with a buckle, and then a little air bladder to provide some padding for your kayak. Keep in mind that the entire pressure you're putting on the kayak to hold it in place ends up being resisted by whatever contacts the kayak/roofrack. So the smaller that surface, the more concentrated the force, and the higher likelihood of damaging your kayak.

As far as right side up vs. upside down... It shouldn't matter since you have a sit on top. The scupper holes drain the water anyways. Just make sure your hatches are sealed. If you had a sit in kayak, I would recommend right side up with a cockpit cover. But of course, that's another thing to buy :) If you're using a pool noodle, you can put it upside down and secure it that way as the cheapest way to the lake. And depending on how much you spent on your kayak, that might be the right answer. Just keep in mind that proper transportation will extend the life of your kayak, so if it is expensive (and especially if it's fiberglass) you'll want to transport it the right way.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Got this installed today. Truxedo Elevate rack with TS rails and a LoPro roll up cover. Still need to figure out kayak mounts for the bars yet.
BAF8E74D-0722-4319-BE98-08845BA594CB.jpeg
9748ECA8-B788-49D0-9274-536DDF64AF64.jpeg
Did you ever decide on which kayak mounts? I'm having trouble determining which ones work with the Elevate.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Did you ever decide on which kayak mounts? I'm having trouble determining which ones work with the Elevate.
Still kicking it around. Thule, Yakima and Rhino Rack all make t slot flat carriers that work. Expensive. Also looking at some foam blocks that fit around the rail. Still trying to confirm dimensions with supplier. Will probably go that route as it’s waaayyyy cheaper. I can dig up some links if you want

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I just toss in the bed. After 6 years oflifting ontop of SUV, I wanted easy. In the bed is the easiest and quickest IMHO...

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I just toss in the bed. After 6 years oflifting ontop of SUV, I wanted easy. In the bed is the easiest and quickest IMHO...
Doesn’t work when you’re towing a 23ft travel trailer.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Still kicking it around. Thule, Yakima and Rhino Rack all make t slot flat carriers that work. Expensive. Also looking at some foam blocks that fit around the rail. Still trying to confirm dimensions with supplier. Will probably go that route as it’s waaayyyy cheaper. I can dig up some links if you want
I saw those flat ones and thought the same thing about price. I might end up with foam too so if you have links to what you think might work that'd be great!

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired