What's your kayak rack setup?

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
It'd be tight. IIRC my kayaks are 31'' wide. There's about a 2'' gap between the two, and about an inch from the mount to the end of the bar. The kayaks can also sit a bit more on the top of them. I *think* you could make it work if you really wanted to. Note though that you might have to raise the overhaul a bit more - you'd have to mount it on the outside of the overhaul, which means it needs to be high enough to allow the sweetroll to fit.

All that said, I wish I had gotten the 66'' version (or even the 72'') myself.
Thanks for the response! Wish I had done just a bit more measuring and planning before I went with the 55". Have the 2nd Sweetroll ordered. Guess I'll find out.

I really like your setup. Do you like the ReTrax tonneau? I have the SuperCab and still want to be able to take the occasional load of compost or soil. Also, seems like a hitch mount bike rack is the way to go for carrying bicycles.
Sponsored

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response! Wish I had done just a bit more measuring and planning before I went with the 55". Have the 2nd Sweetroll ordered. Guess I'll find out.

I really like your setup. Do you like the ReTrax tonneau? I have the SuperCab and still want to be able to take the occasional load of compost or soil. Also, seems like a hitch mount bike rack is the way to go for carrying bicycles.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. I guess I should be considering the $$ I have sinked into it all. It's not 100% water proof, which is a bit annoying, but the amount it leaks is minimal compared to the amount that pops up through the tailgate. And it might just be a bit more foam around the bed rails will fix that. I'm adding bed lights to it this winter because it's dark in there... The Ranger makes use of the 3rd light to light up the bed, but the tonneau cover blocks it all, so it's really difficult to see in there at all if you don't roll it all back. I make good use of the RockyMounts SwingAway hitch bike rack, and agree that hitch mount is the way to go for bikes.

At the end of the day, I am willing to spend extra $$ to make sure that it's easy to use and frustration free (er, minimized), as that leads to more usage. We went kayaking more last year than the previous two years combined, and while covid might have something to do with that, it was also great that loading up all the gear was only a 5min process, and was totally stress free.

JimboAnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 - Sold
I had to come up with a solution to haul my newly acquired kayaks. (14', and 9.5') I felt a ladder rack was my best option, can use for a lot of other stuff too. Bought the werner rack at lowes, it was tall, I cut 6" out of each upright, and now she sits in a good spot. Swapped the antenna out for a stubby jr. I am thinking through my top rigging, a lot of great ideas in this thread.

Rack 01.jpg

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I just had to breakdown a build a trailer. Old town Topwater 120 Pdl which is 125lbs without seat and pedal drive unit, and Topwater 106. They are bears to move around but amazing in the water!

84CE7767-95E9-4F3F-97E7-7618B3CF1338.jpeg

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I had to come up with a solution to haul my newly acquired kayaks. (14', and 9.5') I felt a ladder rack was my best option, can use for a lot of other stuff too. Bought the werner rack at lowes, it was tall, I cut 6" out of each upright, and now she sits in a good spot. Swapped the antenna out for a stubby jr. I am thinking through my top rigging, a lot of great ideas in this thread.

Rack 01.jpg
Your solution might be just what I've been looking for. Do you have a link or model number for the rack you bought?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
For decades I roof carried canoes and kayaks using only the foam blocks and 3 straps. I never had a problem, and only changed because the new combination of a 6'6" high roof on my F150, a fiberglass tonneau cover on the box (couldn't walk on it), and a 16 foot 83lb tandem poly kayak, that was too cumbersome to load on the F150 from the side alone (dogs don't load or paddle ;) ).

I switched to hanging it out the a$$ of the box and it was okay, but I added a cheap load extender bar to stabilize it, more than to carry weight. Some say this causes tailgate damage and I can't say it won't, but I can say I have 20,000 miles hauling that kayak all over the country many times. Highways, back roads, dirt roads, logging roads, granular gravel roads, and raw granite crush without a single chip on my tailgate. I have no mudflaps, and I am not a gentle driver.

That was not a Ranger, and I am not suggesting you can't get damge doing this, just reporting my experience, YMMV.

yUApg7F.jpg

Last edited:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
With my Ranger, and now being semi-retired, it's more dedicated to an all around recreational vehicle, with more static load. I can no longer afford to sacrifice the cargo room in the box.

Initially I planned a BackRack on my DiamondBack HD cover with a rear load bar similar to Jimbo's rig. Then I found a few bolt on roof racks and bought a Prinsu, which should be installed by the middle of next week. For the actual kayak carrier I bought the Thule DOCKGRIP. I haven't mounted or used it yet, but first impressions are good. Seems to be well built and very versatile. Looking forward to getting it set up and in use.

Going back to roof carry, I can walk over the Diamondback cover while carrying the kayak and load it pretty easily. That leaves the box and top of the DiamondBack clear to carry other gear, and or open/close if necessary.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I’m just going to go for the bed extender for a 12’ fishing kayak. I used to put my hobie outback on top of my FJ cruiser and I hated lugging it on and off the roof all the time. I’m looking forward to just sliding it in the back of the truck. I get wanting to have the bed free for camping gear or whatever but the majority of the time I’m just driving the kayak to the water and launching. If I were camping or over landing a lot maybe I would think differently.

GScottS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I use a Yakima Overhaul rack with HD bars. Can fit a 12’ Perception Pescador fishing yak and a Yakima skybox side by side.

Works well for me but am waiting on a ARE cap with racks. Not sure how much harder it will be to load the yak but am going for enclosed bed for extra security. Will be looking to sell the Yakima rack later this summer if anyone is in OR/WA and interested…

0B01C80B-EA1D-4EEC-B0BC-7EF62E64A436.jpeg

2D8F4181-B831-406A-8525-5DCF7A4685DB.jpeg

85AE95FB-B04E-4D06-86A7-6B9AE62D569E.jpeg

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
Our winter plan is to paddle scenic places on the Gulf Coast. We will take our time, exploring interesting spots all the way from Key West, FL to Padre Island, TX. This will be our first such trip with these kayaks and with the Ranger. We did our test load out today. We got her up to 70 on the freeway and had no concerns with the configuration. The Ingot XLT will carry the yaks this way when being towed by our motorhome.

We've got an aluminum DeeZee headache rack and mount a pair of removeable (and foldable) Malone J-saddles in its track. Behind is a generic bed rail rack bar that holds the other J-saddles. Those saddles and that bar can be installed or removed in about 5 minutes. And, most conveniently, that tilted configuration lets me load or unload the boats without the need for a step ladder.

Yak 1.jpg
Yak 2.jpg

Last edited:

FairFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 5G
Occupation
DIY enthusiast
I use a Yakima Overhaul rack with HD bars. Can fit a 12’ Perception Pescador fishing yak and a Yakima skybox side by side.

Works well for me but am waiting on a ARE cap with racks. Not sure how much harder it will be to load the yak but am going for enclosed bed for extra security. Will be looking to sell the Yakima rack later this summer if anyone is in OR/WA and interested…

0B01C80B-EA1D-4EEC-B0BC-7EF62E64A436.jpeg

2D8F4181-B831-406A-8525-5DCF7A4685DB.jpeg

85AE95FB-B04E-4D06-86A7-6B9AE62D569E.jpeg
Great setup, I like free space under it. Thx for the idea! It's sad but manufacturers of storage racks don't think at all about it(review).

Last edited:

transzex

First Name
Denial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5G
Occupation
Businessman
I use this Sparehand Freestanding Dual Storage Rack, look very nice.
It has dual storage rack with easy tool-less assembly. Up to 120 lbs weight capacity. Can be installed with wheels.
Sponsored

Last edited: