RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all rubber, vinyl, plastic including tires after washing. I don't like a glossy look either so this works for me.
I bought some of that earlier - if you use it on the tires does it attract dust afterwards?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought some of that earlier - if you use it on the tires does it attract dust afterwards?
Hi Folks,

My experience with Tire suppliers is their recommendations is soap and water ONLY, not even 303.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Not that I've ever noticed. Used it for years on my Corvette and other vehicle tires. Give it a try since you already have some.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not that I've ever noticed. Used it for years on my Corvette and other vehicle tires. Give it a try since you already have some.
I think I will try that and see how it works. Like you said, it won't cost me anything.

Hi Folks,

My experience with Tire suppliers is their recommendations is soap and water ONLY, not even 303.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil - wondering why a tire manufacturer would have a problem with plastic/vinyl/rubber conditioners and some UV protection. To me it would appear to help keep the rubber more pliable and potentially extend the working life. Not talking about treating the tread itself, just the outer sidewall that gets a lot of UV exposure.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I want tire protection not shine.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm....Everyone is recommending their products, but no pictures of how the tires look after using it...lol!
This is about a week after application of Trim Shine...sorry it's dark. I'll post another after a fresh wash and tire detail:like:
Zhoe2rY.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I want tire protection not shine.
I also want something that keeps the tires black instead of the kind of greyish color they turn to if you don't use anything.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think I will try that and see how it works. Like you said, it won't cost me anything.

Phil - wondering why a tire manufacturer would have a problem with plastic/vinyl/rubber conditioners and some UV protection. To me it would appear to help keep the rubber more pliable and potentially extend the working life. Not talking about treating the tread itself, just the outer sidewall that gets a lot of UV exposure.
Hi Rob,

You will not find tire mtg recommendations as the litigious nature of this type of list, and the fact tire mtg do not test these products. You might Google Roger Marble, formerly with Firestone..he is a wealth of info. Tire mags already design in UV protection, except I have no experience with Chinese tires.

People are passionate about 303, so I asked the Goodyear rep...his curt answer was Avoid. I will follow that advice, but I do use 303 on my RVslide seals.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

You will not find tire mtg recommendations as the litigious nature of this type of list, and the fact tire mtg do not test these products. You might Google Roger Marble, formerly with Firestone..he is a wealth of info. Tire mags already design in UV protection, except I have no experience with Chinese tires.

People are passionate about 303, so I asked the Goodyear rep...his curt answer was Avoid. I will follow that advice, but I do use 303 on my RVslide seals.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
Well, I tried the 303 tonight and it looks great. I will see if it attracts dust like the No Touch stuff does. If it doesn't it will be my new tire treatment. I can't imagine it will HURT the tires. Like you said, it is probably due to litigation anxiety.

Thanks for the info, Phil.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
The rubber in tires is somewhat porous and will develop a layer of dirt, traffic film & brake dust over time. The dirt is water soluble but is often trapped by the other contaminants.

Regular PH neutral soap isn't going to touch this...superclean or purple power (both alkaline cleaners) will safely take the junk off (you'll see it turn brown and run off as you agitate the tire with a brush. Just rinse off and you have your normal-looking rubber back.

Then you can put on your favorite tire dressing...preferably something dry like Stoner's Tire Shine that won't sling off.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Stay with water based products vs silicone oil based most of the time inexpensive tire shines. Like the silicone garbage carwashes use for that extra $3-$4.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree, most of the oil-based ones will just fling off onto the truck. You can rub the tires down a bit to take off the excess, but in sun or hot conditions it just comes back. Plus, oils and tire rubber aren't the best mix.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Tires have chemicals, oil and wax mixed within the rubber.
These make their way to the surface of the tire and protect it from UV rays. Zinc oxide is one pigment, same as the white stuff one places on your nose at the pool. Wax is present helping to protect from water and chemicals. So it will be an on going thing to work on if you do not like brown tires.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, it's all an ongoing thing...tires, clearcoat, you name it.
Sponsored