What's the highest lift kit

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I'm partial to the Icon lift myself. It doesn't lift the rear so I ordered an Add-A-Leaf from AutoSprings. The general rule of thumb is that 2-2.5" is plenty for off roading/overlanding without increasing your chances of a rollover as would be the case with a 6" lift. The on road performance of the Icon is also amazing.
Sponsored

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Just looking to do an overland build and to do moderate trails and sometime maybe a hard one but nothing to crazy.
if you really want to build a truck for overland travel, then weight hauling is something you really need to consider, and not so much how high you want to lift it. Like Frenchy has said, OME is probably gonna be the best option.

a lot of the other 'lift kits' out are designed around stock weight trucks and off road performance, but if you're really planning on overland travel, you end up hauling a LOT of extra weight around and need to consider that, as when you get all your gear loaded up the suspension is going to act a lot different.

Also for actual overland travel, you're probably not going to want as high of a lift, as you're typically going to be looking at longer distances and also lots of highway driving since there's not a lot of truly remote areas left in the USA. With that said, if you build your suspension and truck for more hardcore off-road type work, you're going to regret it on those long distance overland trips when you would really like your truck to be comfortable and easy to drive for a while.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Here is my truck with 3” of lift in the front and 2” in the rear. Icon Stage 5 kit and OME Leafs in the back on 34” tires.

Truck is fully loaded with 900lbs of gear in the bed as well in both these shots.

I don’t think you NEED more than 3” of lift to get the truck just about anywhere in this country. A suspension lift that aids in wheel movement and clearance is the most beneficial. A tack on body lift with stock running parts is for the mall parking lot.
EBA35510-5225-477C-A2DB-02DD37387C65.jpeg
AE443DB4-FF1A-4F06-AF28-A4EAB4093E1D.jpeg

Last edited:

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Here is my truck with 3” of lift in the front and 2” in the rear. Icon Stage 5 kit and OME Leafs in the back on 34” tires.

Truck is fully loaded with 900lbs of gear in the bed as well in both these shots.

I don’t think you NEED more than 3” of lift to get the truck just about anywhere in this country. A suspension lift that aids in wheel movement and clearance is the most beneficial. A tack on body lift with stock running parts is for the mall parking lot.
EBA35510-5225-477C-A2DB-02DD37387C65.jpeg
AE443DB4-FF1A-4F06-AF28-A4EAB4093E1D.jpeg
This right here is basically the best suspension setup for the question the OP posed. New coilovers, shocks, and leaf springs. Does OP want to spend this much? That's another question.

For what OP has described, I'd at least go with the FOX 2.0 setup with new UCAs. You do not want more than 3" of lift nor do you want strut spaces and such. That doesn't mean those options are bad, just not optimal for what OP is trying to do.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
This right here is basically the best suspension setup for the question the OP posed. New coilovers, shocks, and leaf springs. Does OP want to spend this much? That's another question.

For what OP has described, I'd at least go with the FOX 2.0 setup with new UCAs. You do not want more than 3" of lift nor do you want strut spaces and such. That doesn't mean those options are bad, just not optimal for what OP is trying to do.
To answer your question on how much they may want to spend with all that equipment is something to think about. In reality you would think it would cost a bunch but surprisingly with old man emu you're spending just as much on one kit from them versus a kit from Ford performance or Fox. All three cost the same but you get leaf springs coil springs and all shocks with the old man emu. That's also part of why I like the old man emu versus the fox kit. I'm not bashing Fox cuz I know they make good stuff it's just not the kit for me

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
To answer your question on how much they may want to spend with all that equipment is something to think about. In reality you would think it would cost a bunch but surprisingly with old man emu you're spending just as much on one kit from them versus a kit from Ford performance or Fox. All three cost the same but you get leaf springs coil springs and all shocks with the old man emu. That's also part of why I like the old man emu versus the fox kit. I'm not bashing Fox cuz I know they make good stuff it's just not the kit for me
Of course. The OME is great bang for the buck.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Where were those pics taken? Absolutely gorgeous scenery, and truck.
Thank you! First picture is in front of Yellowstone lake and the second one is in south east Idaho looking towards the Tetons.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
295/70/17 Wheels are icon rebound 17x8.5”.
Nice Rig, I know this is an old post but can you tell me exactly what your setup and lift? I have a Fox 2.0 in front and still original FX4 in the rear and have install a 295 /70/R17, I have a bit of issue of rubbing in the front with crash bar deleted and some plastic materials. What UCAs are you using?

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It costs a lot though. And you will definitely have to hit it with Forscan or a programmer to adjust for the tire size.
And it is also a useless lift as you do not gain travel or clearance either!!! At least not where it will matter

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
And it is also a useless lift as you do not gain travel or clearance either!!! At least not where it will matter
It will look sweet with some 24" chrome rims though, right?:muscle: