What does 'Terrain management' actually do?

Ross Del Duca

First Name
Del Duca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Rangel Lariat FX4, 1946 Willys CJ2A
debating between getting a ranger with the FX4 package, or just the locking diff option.

I'm pretty experienced at 4wd-ing, and the 'Trail Control' system seems really cheesy to me, I can't imagine where'd I'd actually use it, and not want complete instant control of the throttle for myself.... though I can imagine new or inexperienced drivers could benefit from it.
While I agree with you mostly - I actually found at least one usage that is superior to anything you can do on your own - steep descents on slippery terrain. It is apparently applying the brakes individually based on detected slippage. With trail control on it was a much more controlled descent than anything I could do.
Sponsored

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silverado
When you use it. do you lock the rear diff. or does the tm take care of that?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
When you use it. do you lock the rear diff. or does the tm take care of that?

The electric locker stays off unless you turn it on, but the brake actuated LSD is actually quite good and if not for the e-locker being fully locked, you wouldn't really need much else. I can say the front feels like an LSD especially when using trail control.

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silverado
Get the fx4 package. I'm just figuring out all of this tech stuff on the ranger. I use it everyday in the gas patch It works. better than I would ever imagined

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Get the fx4 package. I'm just figuring out all of this tech stuff on the ranger. I use it everyday in the gas patch It works. better than I would ever imagined
Show us some pics :)