What does 'Terrain management' actually do?

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
debating between getting a ranger with the FX4 package, or just the locking diff option.

I'm pretty experienced at 4wd-ing, and the 'Trail Control' system seems really cheesy to me, I can't imagine where'd I'd actually use it, and not want complete instant control of the throttle for myself.... though I can imagine new or inexperienced drivers could benefit from it.

the little tilt/roll screen in the gauge cluster is pretty cool/useful, but not worth the extra cost alone.

my only question is, what does 'terrain management' actually do. Is it a traction control system, or does it just re-map the throttle input and transmission shift points (when left in auto)? this alone seems really pointless for me as well, as I'd prefer to shift it manually anyway, and have developed a pretty sensitive right foot over the years.

the skid plates don't mean much to me as I will likely upgrade them anyway, as well as the wheels and tires and shocks/springs.

also, I'm planning to get a very basic XL model, so the FX4 will also require me to also get the stx package, which means like $2400 extra, vs. just $420 for the locking diff only. I'm pretty set on getting the diff only, but want to make sure there's not something to the terrain management system that I'm missing out on.

thanks
Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
debating between getting a ranger with the FX4 package, or just the locking diff option.

I'm pretty experienced at 4wd-ing, and the 'Trail Control' system seems really cheesy to me, I can't imagine where'd I'd actually use it, and not want complete instant control of the throttle for myself.... though I can imagine new or inexperienced drivers could benefit from it.

the little tilt/roll screen in the gauge cluster is pretty cool/useful, but not worth the extra cost alone.

my only question is, what does 'terrain management' actually do. Is it a traction control system, or does it just re-map the throttle input and transmission shift points (when left in auto)? this alone seems really pointless for me as well, as I'd prefer to shift it manually anyway, and have developed a pretty sensitive right foot over the years.

the skid plates don't mean much to me as I will likely upgrade them anyway, as well as the wheels and tires and shocks/springs.

also, I'm planning to get a very basic XL model, so the FX4 will also require me to also get the stx package, which means like $2400 extra, vs. just $420 for the locking diff only. I'm pretty set on getting the diff only, but want to make sure there's not something to the terrain management system that I'm missing out on.

thanks
Download the electronic version of the Owners Manual, pages 167,168 give some explinations.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...l-quick-reference-guide-packaging-guide.1071/

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely worth the extra cost just for the suspension upgrades, the FX4 package makes for a nice smooth ride on the roads. Haven’t had a chance to get it really off road yet, but hopefully will in the coming weeks

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If you're planning to change it the suspension and skid plates anyway I wouldn't bother. TM does do stuff with traction control but nothing you can't do manually I think.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
With the xlt you can get the big tv to watch while off roading on cruise control. Its for rookies.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer

thanks
Terrain Management uses the stability control system to electronically mimic the function of locking diffs by applying brakes to individual wheels to "lock" their speeds together. It does this more quickly, and seamlessly then an actual front locker would achieve. In effect, you only have that "front locker" on in the precise moment it's needed, and off all the rest. So, you don't lose the ability to steer until you can get the locker disengaged. It does this all the time, without your input. It does this not only on the front axle, but across all four wheels.

I'm doing a pretty significant build with my truck, and am actually debating whether or not a real front locker isn needed at all, since I have Terrain Management. I'll probably wait and use the truck a fair bit, and see if I find anything lacking before making that decision. There's plenty of very experienced types who swear that the computer-based lockers outperform old school mechanical ones.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Terrain Management uses the stability control system to electronically mimic the function of locking diffs by applying brakes to individual wheels to "lock" their speeds together. It does this more quickly, and seamlessly then an actual front locker would achieve. In effect, you only have that "front locker" on in the precise moment it's needed, and off all the rest. So, you don't lose the ability to steer until you can get the locker disengaged. It does this all the time, without your input. It does this not only on the front axle, but across all four wheels.

I'm doing a pretty significant build with my truck, and am actually debating whether or not a real front locker isn needed at all, since I have Terrain Management. I'll probably wait and use the truck a fair bit, and see if I find anything lacking before making that decision. There's plenty of very experienced types who swear that the computer-based lockers outperform old school mechanical ones.
I can say this. I pulled a ton of little shrubs out with the ranger this weekend, with the rear locked, on some of the larger ones, all four wheels dug holes, so I'm not entirely certain that a mechanical locker in the front is needed.

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

so it DOES function as traction control? damn, it was sounding like it was just throttle and transmission mapping, which I couldn't care less about. Ford definitely doesn't do a very good job of explaining how it works then...

Do you have any experience using in the real world yet?

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
so it DOES function as traction control? damn, it was sounding like it was just throttle and transmission mapping, which I couldn't care less about. Ford definitely doesn't do a very good job of explaining how it works then...

No one does a good job explaining this stuff. It's complicated, and consumers like stuff to be shiny and simple.

I just got my Ranger on Monday, and it's been pouring rain here in Montana ever since, so I haven't really played with it yet. But, I do have extensive experience using it on other Ford products, and in Land Rovers, where I believe Ford got the technology from back when they owned the brand. It's worked really impressively well in my experience. That ability to lock wheelspeeds together instantaneously, on the fly, is just a lot more user friendly than a mechanical locker will ever be (regardless of activation mechanism). I just haven't experienced it working on larger tires, in really extreme duty yet. There's nothing there to indicate that it won't work in that scenario.

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4

I have used the Mud/Ruts setting on my FX4 Terrain Management. It does change shift points and throttle response but also as others have said changes how the traction control system responds to various conditions. I took it down a some extremely rutted, sticky wet muddy roads both with 4-HI and TM Mud/Ruts setting and in regular 4-HI mode. The truck definitely responded better to steering and throttle inputs under the mud setting in those conditions, and I wasn't taking it easy out there, either.

As for the trail control setting, it has it's uses. Most of the time you might want finer control with your foot but it is more than a gimmick. It controls the ABS individually on each of the four tires in addition to sending throttle to the axles as needed, so even in extreme situations where you might have one or two wheels in the air it will still keep you safe and rolling in the right direction and at a speed that you set.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I used Snow/grass/ice mode a few times this winter, I can also say that it would be much harder to manage throttle inputs on glare ice without it. The Traction control tries pretty hard to keep the wheels with traction turning.

There was a similar system in my Focus ST which was quickly outgunned by the engine's power once i departed from stock power levels. The wheels would get to turning so fast that the traction control system couldn't catch them in time to slow or stop the one without traction.

I don't see that being a problem in the Ranger though.

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well after taking into account how often I used the A-trac on my FJ cruiser (never), I ended up ordering an XL 4x4 with rear locker and copilot 360. I'm super excited and the wait is going to drive me crazy.

Also maybe I'll be able to use forscan eventually to get the offroad screen in the productivity display! but I won't be too disappointed if not.

Fish

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red, 1993 F-150 XLT
Occupation
HVACR
Vehicle Showcase
No one does a good job explaining this stuff. It's complicated, and consumers like stuff to be shiny and simple.

I just got my Ranger on Monday, and it's been pouring rain here in Montana ever since, so I haven't really played with it yet. But, I do have extensive experience using it on other Ford products, and in Land Rovers, where I believe Ford got the technology from back when they owned the brand. It's worked really impressively well in my experience. That ability to lock wheelspeeds together instantaneously, on the fly, is just a lot more user friendly than a mechanical locker will ever be (regardless of activation mechanism). I just haven't experienced it working on larger tires, in really extreme duty yet. There's nothing there to indicate that it won't work in that scenario.
Thank u very much Wes! This info I have been looking to get 4 a while. Very valuable info!
Hope u have had time to enjoy ur Ranger. Ford says, I should get mine May 4th and I can't wait.
Sponsored