What did you let go to get your Ranger?

10Terp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer XLT
I let go of this, a 2012 Mustang GT Premium 6 speed. My first brand new car I bought myself out of college. It had 80k miles on it but needed some work. The MT82 trans was on its last legs (its known to be a total POS), and I never drove it. When Carvana offered me $21k for it I couldn't turn that down and figured it was time to let it go.

I also had (still have, really) a Maverick order on the books to replace the Mustang, but test drove the Ranger and loved it. What sucks about the Maverick order is it went into production the morning I was going to call to cancel the order...
mustang.jpeg

We also have a 2004 Expedition with 240k miles on it that we're going to get rid of. The Ranger is also meant to be a replacement for that.

Last edited:

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
This thread has been an interesting read.

I had a 2004 Mystichrome Cobra Convertible that I traded for a 2019 Ford Escape for economic reasons since I was NOT going to daily drive it for work and with the price of premium gas on the rise was not likely to get driven much if at all. I really miss that car more that anything else I have ever owned, But at the time it was the right decision for the time. We paid cash for the Ranger but I sold my 2019 Escape which put almost half the cost of the Ranger back into the account. I liked the Escape but am loving the Ranger and it gets pretty close to the same MPG as the Escape did.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
This thread has been an interesting read.

I had a 2004 Mystichrome Cobra Convertible that I traded for a 2019 Ford Escape for economic reasons since I was NOT going to daily drive it for work and with the price of premium gas on the rise was not likely to get driven much if at all. I really miss that car more that anything else I have ever owned, But at the time it was the right decision for the time. We paid cash for the Ranger but I sold my 2019 Escape which put almost half the cost of the Ranger back into the account. I liked the Escape but am loving the Ranger and it gets pretty close to the same MPG as the Escape did.
Love my '19 Ranger too Dave, but for trips my wife's '21 Escape gets better mpg...PA to Boston to see the grandkids, 32 mpg! Ranger averages 21, big difference...Escape is the 2.0 EcoBoost, great little engine?That's why the Maverick AWD is attractive to me, maybe down the road...

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
Love my '19 Ranger too Dave, but for trips my wife's '21 Escape gets better mpg...PA to Boston to see the grandkids, 32 mpg! Ranger averages 21, big difference...Escape is the 2.0 EcoBoost, great little engine?That's why the Maverick AWD is attractive to me, maybe down the road...
for real. my first experience with an escape was a rental in the DC area. it impressed me so much when I got to the Texas part of my vacation I told the wifey that I was thinking about trading in my 2012 Focus Titanium in on one. surprisingly she was 100% behind the decision. we took it on 3 road trips and got great gas mileage. we topped 35 going down hill LOL! then that deer decided to suicide on our front bumper, in the Dakotas. still ran really well after getting it back.

We talked about a Maverick but she didn't want a little truck so the Ranger was a good pick.

Scott_Anderson_

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Tremor - Cactus Gray
Hey, Scott, were there any problems with the Baby Bronco, or did you just like the Ranger better?
No, not known at least. Clean Carfax, regular oil changes, etc. Purchased it used with 20K miles. My wife absolutely hated the way it drove. The "lag" and rough shifting between gears. I was able to remedy some of those things to an extent by resetting the accelerator or PDM (I think it is called?). Also, noticeable difference when I put premium gas in it! But it smelled like smoke and I think it had like 3 previous owners, so there is no telling...

We bought it to replace her 2009 Accord, but she just wouldn't drive it. She likes the XLT Tremor much better.

Scott_Anderson_

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, Scott, were there any problems with the Baby Bronco, or did you just like the Ranger better?
But it was sort of disappointing. I searched high and low for the Bronco Sport in that color with all the options we wanted, right mileage, price, etc. I ended up driving nearly 500 miles to pick it up, too.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
But it was sort of disappointing. I searched high and low for the Bronco Sport in that color with all the options we wanted, right mileage, price, etc. I ended up driving nearly 500 miles to pick it up, too.
Might have been a problem child from the start; 3 previous owners in 20k miles. My neighbor has a '21 she bought new and loves it

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor (SOLD 12-14-2023)
Occupation
RETIRED!
I sold my cherry 2004 F150 SuperCrew with 54,000 miles so the new Ranger could be parked inside,
32.jpg

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor (SOLD 12-14-2023)
Occupation
RETIRED!
Damn. Low miles for 2004! Looks clean, too!
Thanks. It was one of two of my pampered pickup trucks. I have a 2000 F250 Crew Cab that has 29,884 miles on it.

The Ranger has stepped into the life of luxury. It had a little over 60 miles on it when it was delivered to me on Sept. 6 2022. Today (5-11-2023) it has 129 miles.

Scott_Anderson_

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might have been a problem child from the start; 3 previous owners in 20k miles. My neighbor has a '21 she bought new and loves it
Yeah, the odd thing is, I didn't even think about that until after I traded it in and went back to look at Carfax to see all the previous owners. Months of searching endlessly online for the right vehicle at the right price got the best of me. Willful blindness, maybe? Or, something like that.

I should add, it had a Pre-Collision Assist error where ACC wasn't working. Took it in right before I traded it in and dealer seemed to fix it, but I didn't have it long enough after to really know.

Theslim_spaydee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT (she gone) 2022 BD Bronco
Occupation
Finance
Traded in a 2017 focus titanium hatchback (that I enjoyed driving) took a haircut into the ranger but they were financing at 0% interest and a ton of incentives so technically broke even with D plan pricing. Then traded the Ranger in on a Bronco and gained $5k on the trade. Am very tempted to put an order in on a ranger raptor and get out of the Bronco but my wife may kill me. The 2.3% interest loan on the Bronco makes it even dumber to leave.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc