Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford XL Ranger 4x4 Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
You put the 8' 2x4s about 1/3 of the distance in from the side, before putting the panels in, the entire length of the sheet rests on them. That makes the maximum span on any part of the sheet is around 1'-1-1/2', which should prevent any deformation. Throwing a ratchet strap or two around the assembly before securing the load helps keep everything where it should be for the trip.
Sponsored

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Hot Pepper
I'm just having a hard time visualizing how it would work.
In the old Rangers, there were 2x4 support notches stamped into the side walls. With the sheets on top, underneath was available for other stuff. Well thought out and convenient. Unfortunately, they forgot this when they improved it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
You put the 8' 2x4s about 1/3 of the distance in from the side, before putting the panels in, the entire length of the sheet rests on them. That makes the maximum span on any part of the sheet is around 1'-1-1/2', which should prevent any deformation. Throwing a ratchet strap or two around the assembly before securing the load helps keep everything where it should be for the trip.
Ahhh - OK - that makes more sense - I was not thinking of lengthwise. Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
In the old Rangers, there were 2x4 support notches stamped into the side walls. With the sheets on top, underneath was available for other stuff. Well thought out and convenient. Unfortunately, they forgot this when they improved it.
The 2019/2020 Rangers do not have the sidewall notches? I remember reading a post somewhere that said they did exist.

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2019/2020 Rangers do not have the sidewall notches? I remember reading a post somewhere that said they did exist.
I had the same recollection. However, just checked mine and they're not there. :(

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same recollection. However, just checked mine and they're not there. :(
Look again, the notches are there, at least they are in the 6 ft bed.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look again, the notches are there, at least they are in the 6 ft bed.
That’s interesting. Maybe the supercab has them but not on the super crew. Would kind of make sense given the short 5’ bed on supercrew.

I tried to view some images of the beds. But can’t tell for sure. Can you post a picture? I won’t have my Ranger until April.

Last edited:

Mcoop57

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4, 2016 Honda Goldwing, 2017 Volkswagen GTI
Occupation
Retired
That’s interesting. Maybe the supercab has them but not on the super crew. Would kind of make sense given the short 5’ bed on supercrew.

I tried to view some images of the beds. But can’t tell for sure. Can you post a picture? I don’t won’t have my Ranger until April.
image.jpg

Mcoop57

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4, 2016 Honda Goldwing, 2017 Volkswagen GTI
Occupation
Retired
SCAB has indents that i am using for 2X4 placement

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch. I have shelves in front of the vehicles too and always worry I'll drop something. May have to rethink my storage.
One of the many reasons why I back into my garage never pull it in Front first.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCAB has indents that i am using for 2X4 placement
Thanks for the picture. I have not seen that style of indents before. My previous truck had indents for a 2x6 positioned horizontally instead of vertically like yours.

Screw owners, are there any similar indents?

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Double check again. I was working on something else and noticed at the last minute, they installed the tie downs right over them. Maybe why we don't notice them?

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, the plot thickens. Indents are there, but they are not open at the top. A 2-by-anything could not slide into them. My guess is that, with the tie down over them, the indent is to allow a big hook or rope to be fed through the tie down. At any rate, Lone does not have any plywood/dry wall sheets in his future. Maybe some trim stock, maybe some garden stuff. But no big stuff.

IMG_6471.jpg

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, the plot thickens. Indents are there, but they are not open at the top. A 2-by-anything could not slide into them. My guess is that, with the tie down over them, the indent is to allow a big hook or rope to be fed through the tie down. At any rate, Lone does not have any plywood/dry wall sheets in his future. Maybe some trim stock, maybe some garden stuff. But no big stuff.

IMG_6471.jpg
You could cut slots in the end of a 2x4 and it would fit but the load would end up being carried by the tie down. Maybe the bigger question is how does the height compare to the wheel wells. If it below the top of them then these indents do not accomplish anything.
Sponsored